Recommendations for Laptop

gamero

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2018
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

Looking to buy a personal laptop with the following requirements:

Budget: SGD 1,000 - 1,500 (Cheaper the better obviously, without foregoing much quality)
Uses: Work (Alot of Excel, Tableau, PowerPoint), Casual gaming (DotA 2 maybe), Photography (Light usage of Lightroom)
Touchscreen: No touchscreen, and no 2-in-1 feature
Weight: <1.8 KG
OS: Windows
Screen size: 13 - 15"
Memory: 8GB or 16GB
Storage: 256 or 512 SSD (No need for HDD)
GPU: Sufficient for low-res gaming
Brand: Preferably Lenovo or Dell

Feel free to ask more questions.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Hi all,

Looking to buy a personal laptop with the following requirements:

Budget: SGD 1,000 - 1,500 (Cheaper the better obviously, without foregoing much quality)
Uses: Work (Alot of Excel, Tableau, PowerPoint), Casual gaming (DotA 2 maybe), Photography (Light usage of Lightroom)
Touchscreen: No touchscreen, and no 2-in-1 feature
Weight: <1.8 KG
OS: Windows
Screen size: 13 - 15"
Memory: 8GB or 16GB
Storage: 256 or 512 SSD (No need for HDD)
GPU: Sufficient for low-res gaming
Brand: Preferably Lenovo or Dell

Feel free to ask more questions.

Check Lenovo Thinkpad E485. Cheap and seems to suit your needs. AMD's APU should run Dota 2, though don't expect very high graphic quality.
 

firezero10

High Supremacy Member
Joined
May 1, 2010
Messages
27,742
Reaction score
235
Looking similar laptop as well. Saw HP Envy 13(i7 8550u with 512GB SSD) @ 1499. Is HP okay in terms of service and build quality?
 

gamero

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2018
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
Looking similar laptop as well. Saw HP Envy 13(i7 8550u with 512GB SSD) @ 1499. Is HP okay in terms of service and build quality?

I never had a good experience with HP, hence I'm looking more towards Dell or Lenovo.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I never had a good experience with HP, hence I'm looking more towards Dell or Lenovo.

Likewise I have avoided HP like a plague after 2 really bad experience with their laptops. Dell I've not tried, but I see a lot of faulty laptops few years back in my office. Faulty, i.e bad battery (stuck at 50% charged), and boot up issues.

There are no perfect hardware anyway. I would recommend just go for the best value and based on your usage pattern. No point paying more for higher end specs when you don't need it. ;)
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,480
Reaction score
6,016
Any recommendations on this versus Dell 5480?

Errr.. Dell 5480 is a 2017 model, E485 is 2018.
AMD CPU wise for the E585 is on par with Intel but
Vega IGP will trash Intel HD easily.

E485 seems the better pick but of cuz some may not
be comfortable using AMD.
 

firezero10

High Supremacy Member
Joined
May 1, 2010
Messages
27,742
Reaction score
235
I never had a good experience with HP, hence I'm looking more towards Dell or Lenovo.

Likewise I have avoided HP like a plague after 2 really bad experience with their laptops. Dell I've not tried, but I see a lot of faulty laptops few years back in my office. Faulty, i.e bad battery (stuck at 50% charged), and boot up issues.

There are no perfect hardware anyway. I would recommend just go for the best value and based on your usage pattern. No point paying more for higher end specs when you don't need it. ;)


Didn't know HP so bad..... Guess I will go with Thinkpads then since I have student discount.
 

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
16,180
Reaction score
824
Didn't know HP so bad..... Guess I will go with Thinkpads then since I have student discount.

You should also get better warranty conver buying from the school program .

Some keys in my NUM pad failed after a year. My battery, now 3 year old, can't work.
 

wtfh4x

Master Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2010
Messages
3,322
Reaction score
210

gamero

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2018
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
Errr.. Dell 5480 is a 2017 model, E485 is 2018.
AMD CPU wise for the E585 is on par with Intel but
Vega IGP will trash Intel HD easily.

E485 seems the better pick but of cuz some may not
be comfortable using AMD.

Why aren't people comfortable with AMD?
 

wtfh4x

Master Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2010
Messages
3,322
Reaction score
210
Do you feel the XPS series is worth exploring or is it an overpriced series?

Far too expensive and too many QC issues. BTW AMD Ryzen laptops have significant driver issues, so I would not recommend them.
 

gamero

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2018
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
Far too expensive and too many QC issues. BTW AMD Ryzen laptops have significant driver issues, so I would not recommend them.

Could you say more about what these significant driver issues might be?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top