Red Wing shoe Thread

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

ffanypack

Reaction score
hey all new to the thread! just dug out my tiny moc toe I got years back in japan, very under used and definitely needs cleaning haha. Only used them during winter when i lived in aus :/
shall clean them up and put them to good use ��

p.s. if yall have any recommendations for conditioners pls hmu!

wanted to post a pic of dem shoes but :(

Last edited:

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey all new to the thread! just dug out my tiny moc toe I got years back in japan, very under used and definitely needs cleaning haha. Only used them during winter when i lived in aus :/
shall clean them up and put them to good use ******************

p.s. if yall have any recommendations for conditioners pls hmu!

wanted to post a pic of dem shoes but :(
If can, use their own brand bah, especially if your pair is still in good conditions. My 8165 is in a hideous state no thanks I was all along using stuff like minkoil from bata, never washed it. After the years the skin is peeling off le... :'(

Sent from Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 using GAGT

ffanypack

Reaction score
If can, use their own brand bah, especially if your pair is still in good conditions. My 8165 is in a hideous state no thanks I was all along using stuff like minkoil from bata, never washed it. After the years the skin is peeling off le... :'(

hey thanks for replying
I thought about getting the redwing stuff! but seems like not many ppl use them?? definitely gonna get some saddle soap to clean mine up 🥵 luckily they've been in Aus with me so the leather honestly still looks great

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey thanks for replying
I thought about getting the redwing stuff! but seems like not many ppl use them?? definitely gonna get some saddle soap to clean mine up � luckily they've been in Aus with me so the leather honestly still looks great
No problems. I think there is no right and wrong. Personally I don't believe in babying the boots because they are suppose to be rough and rugged. Of course to s certain extent still need to give it a proper wash as and when needed, which I admit this is one area I neglected badly...

I do believe many use the premium ones. But if you ask a Red Wing staff, they will tell you their products are specially manufactured for their leather... :p

ffanypack

Reaction score
No problems. I think there is no right and wrong. Personally I don't believe in babying the boots because they are suppose to be rough and rugged. Of course to s certain extent still need to give it a proper wash as and when needed, which I admit this is one area I neglected badly...

I do believe many use the premium ones. But if you ask a Red Wing staff, they will tell you their products are specially manufactured for their leather... :p

haha true a rugged RW looks best imo too but my shoe is dated 01/12 I haven't washed or conditioned it since 🤡 we might be pushing it 😂

haha I'll pop into 1 of the stores to have a looksie thanks!!

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha true a rugged RW looks best imo too but my shoe is dated 01/12 I haven't washed or conditioned it since 🤡 we might be pushing it 😂

haha I'll pop into 1 of the stores to have a looksie thanks!!

I am not the best pax to advise on maintaining the boots, because mine pairs arent in the best shape too. Best to bring your pair to the Orchard Gate Way shop for the staff's advice. I believe their standard recommendation will be three: Cleaner, Conditioner, and Protector. Clean liao, but leather will be dry, so will need to condition. Wash and condition liao, it has lose the layer of protection, so will need spray the later of Protector...

I am too lazy for so many steps. So basically I am only using cleaner, then rub on mink-oil. Since my pairs already "cui" kind of beyond cure liao... haha

Any place to fix Red Wing sole?

I think best is still bring back to Orchard Gate Way shop bah seek their advice bah. Previously they will recommend to go shukey at far east, but that had pretty bad feedbacks too. Recent years I heard they do take inhouse request for resoles.

TBH, I don't see any local cobbler or shoe repairs has the right tools and expertise to fix them properly... :(

I heard OGL folks has collab with a Taiwanese who does very good resoling service.

ffanypack

Reaction score
I am not the best pax to advise on maintaining the boots, because mine pairs arent in the best shape too. Best to bring your pair to the Orchard Gate Way shop for the staff's advice. I believe their standard recommendation will be three: Cleaner, Conditioner, and Protector. Clean liao, but leather will be dry, so will need to condition. Wash and condition liao, it has lose the layer of protection, so will need spray the later of Protector...

I am too lazy for so many steps. So basically I am only using cleaner, then rub on mink-oil. Since my pairs already "cui" kind of beyond cure liao... haha

hahah abit lazy to bring the shoes down, but looking to not use mink oil i think... seems to darken the colours? just gonna find a conditioner, if not i'll just get the red wing one >.<

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hahah abit lazy to bring the shoes down, but looking to not use mink oil i think... seems to darken the colours? just gonna find a conditioner, if not i'll just get the red wing one >.<
Wear it down show them lor. :p
The staff are quite friendly and informative, quite willing to share info even if not buying.

Joe Maya

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think best is still bring back to Orchard Gate Way shop bah seek their advice bah. Previously they will recommend to go shukey at far east, but that had pretty bad feedbacks too. Recent years I heard they do take inhouse request for resoles.

TBH, I don't see any local cobbler or shoe repairs has the right tools and expertise to fix them properly... :(

I heard OGL folks has collab with a Taiwanese who does very good resoling service.

They always recommend that far east place although i prefer paying more if RW have their own in-house expertise doing complete service for it. :o

ralphlauren

Master Member
Reaction score
just bought a pair of 1907. My foot size is 9.5 US and I downsized to 9.0 for snug fit. Experience a little heel slip when I try it again back home, may I know is this normal during break in period? Or am I missing something?

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just bought a pair of 1907. My foot size is 9.5 US and I downsized to 9.0 for snug fit. Experience a little heel slip when I try it again back home, may I know is this normal during break in period? Or am I missing something?
Did you check with the staff when you buy it? I remember it will continue to stretch out abit, so if it's loose now, it may be more loose. For round toe I down size 1, moctoe half size but EE.

ralphlauren

Master Member
Reaction score
Did you check with the staff when you buy it? I remember it will continue to stretch out abit, so if it's loose now, it may be more loose. For round toe I down size 1, moctoe half size but EE.

I did some google search, some reviewers said the heel slip will go away once break in. Actually I tried 8.5 also, but too uncomfortable for me as I have abit of bunion. The staff also recommend me to go for 9. Maybe I should try 875 E width and 8.5?

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
quite a tough boot to break.

my 9011 cut me like no tomorrow.:s13:
So far I have three pairs of Red Wing, none spared me the pain... Chao chao one year until you see the inner sole take shape of yor# feet, leather soften le then maybe less pain

DrSheldonCooper

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
quite a tough boot to break.

my 9011 cut me like no tomorrow.:s13:

:s13::s13::s13:

Yes I've read about that from quite a lot of reviews on reddit lol. But I like the look of the Beckman's. Likely will get the 9011.

How often do you wear them, and how long did you take to break them in?

DrSheldonCooper

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So far I have three pairs of Red Wing, none spared me the pain... Chao chao one year until you see the inner sole take shape of yor# feet, leather soften le then maybe less pain

Wa 1 year?! Are you rotating between a lot of pairs? Haha.

Was hoping it would be easier in SG cause it's hotter, and weather more humid.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.