Relocation to Beijing

onlysingle

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2011
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Anyone can advise the following questions I have in mind?

1) How is the safety over there? I have one toddler and one baby and our main concern is on kids snatching/kidnapping in Beijing
2) How harsh is the weather in Beijing?
3) How is the pollution situation there?
4) The public transport, is it still bad over there especially the morning and evening train?

If any Bros here can recommend me forums etc where I can read and find out more, please let me know. I have a hard time finding.

Thank you.
 

SibehHL

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2016
Messages
2,099
Reaction score
374
Anyone can advise the following questions I have in mind?

1) How is the safety over there? I have one toddler and one baby and our main concern is on kids snatching/kidnapping in Beijing
2) How harsh is the weather in Beijing?
3) How is the pollution situation there?
4) The public transport, is it still bad over there especially the morning and evening train?

If any Bros here can recommend me forums etc where I can read and find out more, please let me know. I have a hard time finding.

Thank you.

I used to lived in center of Beijing (next street from forbidden city) and then move out to Tongzhou area. Was there for 6-7 years before moving on couple of years ago. Still go back few times a year and each time I see changes.

1) Generally not much safety concerns except for pick-pockets and traffic. Kids I wouldn't let them leave my sight or let go of them while in crowded places such as supermarkets and shopping malls. What I find a major safety concern is the traffic. No one gives way to anyone and all the e-bikes just fly pass you in every direction. HOLD on to your kids is my advice.

2) Winter weather is dry cold. 10-15 degs below zero outside is cooold. But dress appropriately and you will be fine. Their indoor heating is quite good, can normally reaches 18-20 deg inside your apartment. With a baby & toddler at home, you should install humidifier (increase moisture content) otherwise the kids will suffer from the dryness. Hot summer temperatures too, up to 40-41 degs, make sure air con is available in the rental apartment.

3) Pollution is dependent but sure to have days or weeks when the air is very polluted. It is getting much better as they clear the city of heavy industry and put restrictions on civil construction sites during windy weather. Car reg number restriction is still being implemented.

4) I gave up commuting & driving during peak hours. Suggest renting apartment close to work place. Some locals I knew spend about 4 hrs a day going to/ returning from work.

Good luck. Beijing is a great city despite its short comings. Hope you will enjoy the life there, it is a great experience.
 

iCubes

Master Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
4,772
Reaction score
1,341
Just to add on:

The winter season is exceptionally drying for the skin, be sure to equip yourself with moisturizers especially for your kids. Everything you need can be purchased in China, you don't have to bring much there. If possible get an apartment that is equipped with floor heating, I did and it was bloody awesome during winter.

Get a air purifier for your apartment, especially since you have kids. Keep lots of plants too, since you will probably be shutting all the windows to keep out the pollution, the plants will help oxygenate the apartment. If i recall correctly, its about 8 pots for every person. I had 16 when I was staying alone lol.
 

filumfu

Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
361
Reaction score
0
Hi, i am currently staying in Beijing and is into my 6yr year there. I have a infant child of aged 16 minths. Just based on personal experience, u may note:

1) yes, Beijing is relatively safe. In fact, if u speak to a lot of foreigners, as compared to their own country, u do not have to worry while walking on the roads. Of course, nobody leaves their child running around the places alone, typically, if u engaged a ah-yi, the kids would be looked after around the clock.

2) weather can sometimes be harsh during the winter season. Extreme cold (freezing)or strong gale of wind is expected. During these days, ppl tends to stay indoors

3) pollution has got much more better. The skies are always blue recently. However, during he summer season or during the early stage if winter, due to no wind or heating requirements, bad smog level is expected. U could get a air purifier which every single family is having that at home now.

4) hmm, may i ask are u on an expat assignment? If u are, company would usually provide a car and driver for you. Hence, the likely chance of getting into a oublic transportion. For me, i was lucky to have gotten a car plate and i bought my own car. At times, u can get didi. Not recommended for taxis as drivers....nevertheless, i u really need to get into trains, peak period, yes, u will be squash like a tuna :). U don have to move and u will auto get into trains... LOL
 

Papermate

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2017
Messages
9,023
Reaction score
0
Very good and helpful posts written by members above.

Beijing is safe. If you dare to go to JB, then Beijing is even safer than a place near a police station in JB. Of course, you should never let your children run around in a such a big city with so many people. But it is very unlikely that someone would snatch your kid and drive away although kid-stealing does happen.

Yes, there are pickpockets so you need to keep your wits about you, but there is no need to be paranoid about it, or your stay there will be unnecessarily stressful.

I have worked in a few cities in China and in the 9 years I was there, nobody even gave me a look. I did not even get a first look, not to mention a second look. It's quite easy for a Chinese Singaporean to blend in, incognito. Gone are the days when a Singaporean could be spotted one mile away because we wore bell bottomed pants and they wore something else. I assume you are ethnic Chinese.

So do not worry too much. You should be safe. I know many Singaporeans still travel to China for holidays following a tour agency like Chan Bros or Dynasty Travel because they either are scared or think that China is such a dangerous place. No, that's not true.

In fact, it is a good opportunity for you to immerse your children in an environment where they can start learning GOOD Mandarin at an early age. However, you and your wife (or husband) will have to take care of their spoken English.

If this is your first trip to Beijing, you may wish to read up more about the city from Tripadvisor. Although it is geared towards tourism, you should find a lot of useful information there which will help you settle down a little faster. The last thing anyone wants is to be or FEEL lost in a big city...and Beijing is 16,808 sq km...that's many times the size of Singapore.
 

BigMonkey

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2007
Messages
33,801
Reaction score
5,014
wondering if you guys found your wife ober there or you guys are already married in sg than move over?
 

civicguy

Banned
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Messages
36,910
Reaction score
8,275
Just came back from Shanghai and Beijing and Nanjing and Hangzhou on a business trip. I would say that it is much better than I thought. My only cannot take it is very hard to find taxis. Ha ha. And my lack of Wechat pay is a killer.

Else China is really great.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top