Reminbi investment

Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
487
Reaction score
21
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at the CNY (Chinese Yuan aka Reminbi) and it's growing at a staggering rate.

I was wondering if it makes sense to open a CNY account and keep some CNY till like 2020.

Would that be feasible?
 

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
9,605
Reaction score
854
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at the CNY (Chinese Yuan aka Reminbi) and it's growing at a staggering rate.

I was wondering if it makes sense to open a CNY account and keep some CNY till like 2020.

Would that be feasible?

Uh - it's feasible, sure, but it's not as good an idea as you think it is.

I think you're confusing the growth rate of the Chinese economy with the growth rate of the CNY (the currency). Since the PBOC pulled the rug out from under the CNY in 2010, it's gone from about 4.9 yuan per SGD to... uh... 4.8 yuan per SGD.

Add in the extra yield pickup of about 1% per year, and you'd have made a massive... one-and-two-thirds percent per year. This is not a great return!

If you don't need the money until 2020, you're better off sticking it in blue-chip stocks.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top