reminder to change ur thermal paste for your gpu.

  • Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mental Health Helpline: 6389-2222 (24 hours) More info

Sherra

Master Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
1
Was doing some spring cleaning yesterday, that led me to take out my graphics card.

Since it was pretty dusty, i took out the heatsink for a clean and also wiped off the stock's thermal paste with some cotton wool and isopro alcohol.

Reapplied AS5 and powered back on..

Before this was done, tempt could peak at bout 86 or 87 degree after a few hours of full load stress test.

Now, tempt is only peaking at 72 degree and its also after pushing the card 50mhz faster, doing the same full load stress test.

Well, of course not all can be contributed to the thermal paste change as it was a little dusty at the hsf fins.

but if you guys are concerned about the temperature, give this a try - changing the thermal paste :)


But... YMMY .

cheeeeers
 

Humster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2000
Messages
23,493
Reaction score
2,643
Something need to add. Becareful of the warranty sticker.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I always do that the moment I purchase a new graphic card. And yes, be careful some manufacturers will have a warranty sticker on a screw for the heatsink and will void your warranty. I tend to avoid these brands. :)
 

jkohlc2

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2007
Messages
48,130
Reaction score
14,864
I always do that the moment I purchase a new graphic card. And yes, be careful some manufacturers will have a warranty sticker on a screw for the heatsink and will void your warranty. I tend to avoid these brands. :)

Sorry to ask but how come new one need to apply? :s11:

Or 3rd party thermal paste better? :o
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,860
Reaction score
30,438
I find those exposed die (i.e. AMD) very sensitive to proper TIM. Those with heatspreader (i.e. nVidia) not so much, use toothpaste also can.
 

Sherra

Master Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
1
mmm yeah,

my graphics card brand is sapphire, no issue with warranty sticker pasted over screw or something to void it while doing this.

I'm still amazed by how much difference the 3rd party thermal paste gave over the crappy stock one..

a whooooping 15degrees..
 

Vulpix

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
105,326
Reaction score
3,863
I dunno how to take out my Zotac 770 leh. Older cards easier to figure out, but this one I totally can't figure out.
 

Sherra

Master Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
3,419
Reaction score
1
mmm i think if u take out all the screws on the backplate, it should come off already?

normally the case.. no harm trying, just make sure u be gentle, see if anywires connecting before u pull out.
 

Ferolare

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
48,329
Reaction score
144
I dunno how to take out my Zotac 770 leh. Older cards easier to figure out, but this one I totally can't figure out.
you could always use one of your 770s as lab rat then...

simply buy another when it goes south (or under) :s13:
 

devilwahaha

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
0
lol we alrdy know y, so if u dun believe its for u to find out.

He said, and I'm quoting, that all stock TIM are **** and any 3rd party ones are better.

While that's true for some brands using lousy TIM or even good TIM but bad application, its not true for every brand, especially the more renowned ones like EVGA/Asus/MSI to name a few.

Surely they can afford the extra perhaps $0.50 to the BOM for a good TIM and seeing the recent temps of stock reviews for the past generation of cards, it sure looks like they have applied the TIM well enough.

So dont make a sweeping statement if you cant back it up with some truth, it might mislead the new ones to spend extra unnecessary cash.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top