Replace home broadband with mobile plan?

The_Davis

High Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2001
Messages
152,258
Reaction score
14,918
Many provider impose limit on Data routers. I've tried it. Wasted my money buying sim modem and very expensive if 5g. Cheaper to tether from HP
:ROFLMAO:
Oh just use phone to double as hotspot? Lidat will drain phone battery right? 😂
 

wongminmin

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2014
Messages
34,581
Reaction score
18,815
some people are doing this but i don't recommend.
i recommended chiu mobile broadband is for temporary use only.

lag and connectivity etc.... your viewing experience will be affected.

1 video take about 400mb....
my monthly household use about 300gb data.

then if u got smart devices... then more complication to deal with.

if u dun believe, u can try out.... since they are contract-less
 

c95zm8

Senior Member
Joined
May 21, 2021
Messages
595
Reaction score
670
Singapore has world's cheapest fibre home broadband $20+/month only. Mobile data won't be as stable and fast as fibre, how much can you realistically save?
Unless you are talking about commercial shop / small office where the broadband charges are easily $100+, then it's worthwhile to consider mobile data
 

The_Davis

High Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2001
Messages
152,258
Reaction score
14,918
some people are doing this but i don't recommend.
i recommended chiu mobile broadband is for temporary use only.

lag and connectivity etc.... your viewing experience will be affected.

1 video take about 400mb....
my monthly household use about 300gb data.

then if u got smart devices... then more complication to deal with.

if u dun believe, u can try out.... since they are contract-less
Ya but if I cancel means cannot get back the plan :(

but if I cancel, I got budget to get the giga plan lol 😂😂😂

up to 2TB if roll over. Maybe I should try Sia..
 

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
140,668
Reaction score
9,362
external device may be ok ......

run too much data on phone it gets hot
 

elf108

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2002
Messages
14,628
Reaction score
1,463
Good for short term rental stay light usage. Even stream youtube on tv with mobile sim is laggy
 

wongminmin

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2014
Messages
34,581
Reaction score
18,815
u may feel fast on the phone itself.

but when u put inside Mobile Broadband router or using it as hotspot.... it run slower than stated. lol

then the equipment/phone used to transmit will get hot too, lower its lifespan. may need to change time to time.

then some places the 5g coverage cui or lags during peak hours.

so best to test out first before cancel your home broadband.
 

The_Davis

High Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2001
Messages
152,258
Reaction score
14,918
Running one in a mancave.

Signed up for Giga 1TB data plan. $28/month. Used as wifi.

53819523169_16cf459e64_b.jpg


Wifi speed seems very decent, good enough to do one thing e.g stream Netflix . Dun bother multitasking doing upload/download and streaming on TV.

App monitors the usage.

53818265687_c8b286b4ef_b.jpg


Home broadband is actually reasonable and better..

But for small commercial spaces where commercial broadband is ******* expensive, sim card can be viable option depending on usage.
Btw got come with free router ah?
 

The_Davis

High Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2001
Messages
152,258
Reaction score
14,918
u may feel fast on the phone itself.

but when u put inside Mobile Broadband router or using it as hotspot.... it run slower than stated. lol

then the equipment/phone used to transmit will get hot too, lower its lifespan. may need to change time to time.

then some places the 5g coverage cui or lags during peak hours.

so best to test out first before cancel your home broadband.
It’s either this or I switch to simba 10gbps plan lol
 

888blancgmail

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2018
Messages
8,871
Reaction score
5,089
When I watch Shopee Livestreams for 1+ hr on my hp, it will be hot.

So I suggest U either buy a spare hp as hotspot or sim router for TV etc ( both never try b4).
 

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
13,122
Reaction score
2,064
watch/ stream videos usually consume the most data. play games not much unless it start to download patch updates.
 

rubicon

Master Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
2,772
Reaction score
248
I actually do this...have the singtel 5g ultimate plan at $40 for 600gb. speeds are usually quite decent and actually better than my fiber network using myrepublic during peak hours. I use vpn for watching US shows. Using glinet spitx router
 

CommanderPilot

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2020
Messages
86
Reaction score
20
I would not recommend SIMBA for mobile data on router. I switched to Giga 1TB plan and can consistently get around 300-400 mbps on my deco x50 router, good enough for gaming,Netflix YouTube etc. I just realised I don’t fully utilise the 1TB so downgrading to the 600gb plan next month. Good thing got rollover data and I still cannot hit the cap.
 

The_Davis

High Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2001
Messages
152,258
Reaction score
14,918
I would not recommend SIMBA for mobile data on router. I switched to Giga 1TB plan and can consistently get around 300-400 mbps on my deco x50 router, good enough for gaming,Netflix YouTube etc. I just realised I don’t fully utilise the 1TB so downgrading to the 600gb plan next month. Good thing got rollover data and I still cannot hit the cap.
You using any 5g router?
 

The_Davis

High Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2001
Messages
152,258
Reaction score
14,918
Got so hard up for money boh
Bro I don't know how much for replaçe the OnT router sia.... Now I see the contract terms all so crappy... Sim only plan very simple smd straightforward leh
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top