Replacing GTS 240 graphics card...advice, please?

zensushi

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
58,426
Reaction score
10,747
Hi!

I believe my graphics card is failing on me. First Diablo 3 causes black screen, then even FM2013 does... :(

Please advice on what I can replace the card with...& perhaps any other parts (PSU?) that may need replacing along with it?



System: Dell Studio XPS 8100

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93 GHz

PSU: stock Dell (350W, I believe?)

Mainboard: Dell 0G3HR7

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240



Budget is preferably < $200.

Many thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,670
Reaction score
2,123
With your PSU, I think safest bet will be HD 7850, though it will be in the 250 +/- range. For Nvidia, I think tops you can get a GTX650Ti 2GB at around your budget. If you get a HD7850, you also may be entitled to AMD's game bundle, which I think is very good value. :)
 

zensushi

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
58,426
Reaction score
10,747
Thanks, watzup_ken!

Would it be as simple as swapping the graphics cards if I get the HD7850?
 
Last edited:

Gaminator

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
8,627
Reaction score
691
I don't think a 350W PSU can handle the HD7850 as well, best I can think of is a HD7750, which does not require a PCIe power connection.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,670
Reaction score
2,123
I believe with a true power PSU, it should take the power draw of a HD7850 if not 7790. The recommended PSU I believe is said to be 400W, but usually there is a buffer as it depends on the configuration of the system. Some people have more than 1 hard drive, which will pull more power. On the safer side, I think HD 7790 should fit the requirement. My HTPC using a 380W is chugging along fine with a GTX 650 OC with a single 6 pin PCI-E power connector, though this graphic card don't draw as much power as the HD 7850.

Anyway Zensushi, considering that you are only playing D3 now, I think you can consider either a HD 7770 or a 7790 to play it safe. On the Nvidia side, don't think you have a lot of choices, either a GTX 650, or 650Ti. These should not pull too much power.
 

zensushi

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
58,426
Reaction score
10,747
Thank you so much. Planning to head to SLS in a bit to check the cards out.
 

zensushi

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
58,426
Reaction score
10,747
Thanks for the replies!

Replaced the GTS 240 with a Palit GeForce GTX 650 2GB.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top