Restore whatsapp from crypt8 rather than crypt7 database?

sgcosimo

Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
I am using Samsung S4.I have problem with notification tones so i tried to uninstall and reinstall whatsapp to see if it can be resolved.

Unfortunately i forgot to do a backup 1st, probably because i thought whatsapp do daily backup anway. When i reinstalled, whatsapp used an old back up file a week ago created on 16Nov,, instead of the latest backup this morning.

I tried several times and figured out it could be using the db file with extension crypt7,rather than the latest backup on 25 Nov , a db file with crypt8 extension.
How do i get whatsapp to call up the latest backup with crypt8 extension?
 
Last edited:

JDee

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
308
Reaction score
17
I had the same problem as you when migrating from my nexus 5 to oneplus. Basically, you need to get the latest version of whatsapp from whatsapp.com/android and install that version. Seems like the latest version uses crypt8 and the google play version crypt7. After installation, clear data and copy the backup over. Mine is restoring as I type this.

I am using Samsung S4.I have problem with notification tones so i tried to uninstall and reinstall whatsapp to see if it can be resolved.

Unfortunately i forgot to do a backup 1st, probably because i thought whatsapp do daily backup anway. When i reinstalled, whatsapp used an old back up file a week ago created on 16Nov,, instead of the latest backup this morning.

I tried several times and figured out it could be using the db file with extension crypt7,rather than the latest backup on 25 Nov , a db file with crypt8 extension.
How do i get whatsapp to call up the latest backup with crypt8 extension?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top