shilldonix
Junior Member
- Joined
- Mar 11, 2010
- Messages
- 24
- Reaction score
- 0
Hi all!
Before I begin, I would like to first state that I'm new to android and a total newbie at rooting, so do pardon me when I happen to ask the 'obvious' questions..
I’d like to also mention that I've used the search function here but I wasn't able to find a full guide on how to root the S4 specifically, only managed to get this thread: S3/S3 LTE - How to root and install custom recovery (Guide)
I've also been to XDA, but the rooting guides/programs mentioned that it was specifically for certain models of S4 only (e.g XXUAME2, XXUAMDN, XXUAMDE etc) they also warned that if it was of other models the phone will most probably brick
Found this thread from XDA that seems good though: [GT-I9505] CF-Auto-Root
I've also recently upgraded my phone's firmware from DXUAME2 -> DXUBMEA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With that said, here are my queries:
1) All these programs, when they mention that it is model-specific, does the Baseband versions matter?
2) Do the Baseband versions determine the main rooting method/programs?
3) is Flashing necessary? Or can i just root and retain the stock ROM, just with the added accessibility from rooting?
4) Can I say that Triangle works for all android devices? (or do i have to look for specific versions that work for S4?)
5) are Kernels necessary? (Do we HAVE to install additional kernels along with rooting? or can we just root and leave the stock kernel as it is?)
6) "Pull the logs".. what is log pulling exactly? Is it necessary to know this? Do we have to know how to do debugging etc?
*I found this thread: [Tutorial] How to Logcat
and.. does it work on all Android devices?
I noticed that on XDA it seems like there are different S4 versions (Canadian/Sprint/T-Mobile/AT&T etc) so i'm not sure which one mine is under..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In short:
My main concern is that I'm not sure if the programs I found actually work on all Android devices because some states so while some does not, which is really confusing for someone like me new to the Android world.
I would like to start on a gentle note, so just want to know if I could just do a basic root on my S4 (just so I can uninstall/freeze Bloatwares and prolong my battery life) and leave the others as it is, and then only start playing with the other more technical stuff (flashing/kernels/odex etc) slowly after I’m more comfortable with doing so.
P.S. Sorry for the super long post! Just wanna be as detailed/clear as i can.. really wish to understand and know more about how it all works!
Before I begin, I would like to first state that I'm new to android and a total newbie at rooting, so do pardon me when I happen to ask the 'obvious' questions..
I’d like to also mention that I've used the search function here but I wasn't able to find a full guide on how to root the S4 specifically, only managed to get this thread: S3/S3 LTE - How to root and install custom recovery (Guide)
I've also been to XDA, but the rooting guides/programs mentioned that it was specifically for certain models of S4 only (e.g XXUAME2, XXUAMDN, XXUAMDE etc) they also warned that if it was of other models the phone will most probably brick
Found this thread from XDA that seems good though: [GT-I9505] CF-Auto-Root
I've also recently upgraded my phone's firmware from DXUAME2 -> DXUBMEA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With that said, here are my queries:
1) All these programs, when they mention that it is model-specific, does the Baseband versions matter?
2) Do the Baseband versions determine the main rooting method/programs?
3) is Flashing necessary? Or can i just root and retain the stock ROM, just with the added accessibility from rooting?
4) Can I say that Triangle works for all android devices? (or do i have to look for specific versions that work for S4?)
5) are Kernels necessary? (Do we HAVE to install additional kernels along with rooting? or can we just root and leave the stock kernel as it is?)
6) "Pull the logs".. what is log pulling exactly? Is it necessary to know this? Do we have to know how to do debugging etc?
*I found this thread: [Tutorial] How to Logcat
and.. does it work on all Android devices?
I noticed that on XDA it seems like there are different S4 versions (Canadian/Sprint/T-Mobile/AT&T etc) so i'm not sure which one mine is under..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In short:
My main concern is that I'm not sure if the programs I found actually work on all Android devices because some states so while some does not, which is really confusing for someone like me new to the Android world.
I would like to start on a gentle note, so just want to know if I could just do a basic root on my S4 (just so I can uninstall/freeze Bloatwares and prolong my battery life) and leave the others as it is, and then only start playing with the other more technical stuff (flashing/kernels/odex etc) slowly after I’m more comfortable with doing so.
P.S. Sorry for the super long post! Just wanna be as detailed/clear as i can.. really wish to understand and know more about how it all works!

