Rooting the S4

shilldonix

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2010
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
I see, thanks for the alternative dl link!

Anyway, after I installed the TWRP I was only able to enter the TWRP recovery once.
Did a reboot system from there to carry on with placing the SuperSU UPDATE file into my phone.
Thereafter, I haven't been able to reboot to TWRP recovery anymore, even though everytime it shows a mini
'booting recovery' at the top left corner, my phone just boots up normally instead of the TWRP recovery.

Shall I just flash the Stock ROM and try to re-root + install TWRP again instead?

That website always refreshes ... no idea why it is like that.
Anyway, you can download from here - tinyurl.com/p4tdmg3
MD5 is 3ad1b56b4b0ce0975229e8f35b412455

Getting into recovery shouldn't have any problem ... make sure you press an d hold VolUp+Home button then Power at the same time and release when the screen flickers or when recovery is booted.
 

theone89

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
I think it will be ideal to do so ... as I can't seem to find out where the problem lies.

Before that, try to install SuperSU from Play Store again. If still fail, then flash the stock ROM and start from scratch again.

Back up any necessary data (SMS, apps, , then go ahead and flash the stock ROM. I don't think it's necessary to flash the kernel as you have not loaded any custom kernel yet.

Same procedure as rooting/installing recovery. Check PDA in Odin and select the ROM file.

Just curious, when you rooted the first time, did your phone reboot into recovery automatically for a short while to flash the root files?

I see, thanks for the alternative dl link!

Anyway, after I installed the TWRP I was only able to enter the TWRP recovery once.
Did a reboot system from there to carry on with placing the SuperSU UPDATE file into my phone.
Thereafter, I haven't been able to reboot to TWRP recovery anymore, even though everytime it shows a mini
'booting recovery' at the top left corner, my phone just boots up normally instead of the TWRP recovery.

Shall I just flash the Stock ROM and try to re-root + install TWRP again instead?
 

shilldonix

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2010
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Alright, will do that.

Tried re-intalling SuperSU, same issue (no binary.. etc)
Will flash stock ROM and start again after downloading it :)

IIRC, after the Red Android logo appeared and finished loading, it booted up the phone straight after.

I think it will be ideal to do so ... as I can't seem to find out where the problem lies.

Before that, try to install SuperSU from Play Store again. If still fail, then flash the stock ROM and start from scratch again.

Back up any necessary data (SMS, apps, , then go ahead and flash the stock ROM. I don't think it's necessary to flash the kernel as you have not loaded any custom kernel yet.

Same procedure as rooting/installing recovery. Check PDA in Odin and select the ROM file.

Just curious, when you rooted the first time, did your phone reboot into recovery automatically for a short while to flash the root files?
 

shilldonix

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2010
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Flashed Stock ROM, and then re-flashed the CF-Autoroot with same results:

1) No SuperSU app installed, the very 1st time I rooted it the SU was auto-installed, 2nd time it 'disappeared', now even after unrooting->re-root it also doesn't auto-install.

2) After manually installing SuperSU from Play Store, SuperSU still shows "No binary installed .. .. " line.

3) Root checker was working fine after unrooting it back to Stock ROM (Root Checker was able to show that my phone had no root access)
After re-flashing CF-Autoroot, Root Checker presented with same issue (hanging at Please wait... system appears slow etc)

I'm starting to think that I got an unrootable phone. Haha thing is, since I can't root it, that means I won't be able to reset the Binary counter with Triangle Away.. so what happens what I do need to visit Samsung? :s22:
 

shilldonix

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2010
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
UPDATE:

With regards to my previous post, I re-flashed the TWRP recovery again, and this time, I was able to enter TWRP Recovery and proceeded with the steps theone89 mentioned and then SuperSU worked! And, Root Checker is also showing that I now have root access! Everything seems fine now!

A BIG THANKYOU to theone89 for providing so much assistance and advice along the way! :s12:

I now have a Rooted Phone! Hooray!! :D
 

theone89

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
No problem at all :)

One last thing to note ... if you are planning to use Titanium Backup to uninstall apps, be sure you know which apps you are uninstalling.
Just be careful not to uninstall any vital system apps.

Enjoy your rooted S4.

UPDATE:

With regards to my previous post, I re-flashed the TWRP recovery again, and this time, I was able to enter TWRP Recovery and proceeded with the steps theone89 mentioned and then SuperSU worked! And, Root Checker is also showing that I now have root access! Everything seems fine now!

A BIG THANKYOU to theone89 for providing so much assistance and advice along the way! :s12:

I now have a Rooted Phone! Hooray!! :D
 

MGeaR356

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
7,505
Reaction score
59

avsquare

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2011
Messages
11,314
Reaction score
42
guys, have u all tried the XXUBMF8 modem? Based on feedbacks, it seems the best so far.

I just posted and wonder can we use it. Or we can only stick to DX versions.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [REF] GALAXY S4 (I9500/I9505) GSM / NON-HLOS.bin - MODEM'S Collection (Odin/CWM/TWRP)

btw for all who install cm or aosp roms, your internal storage still @ 9gb? I thought it will be more because of non-touchwiz crap?

Internal storage is still at 9.25GB but available storage was free to 8+GB.

I think about 1GB was freed up for me.
 

KieranC3

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2006
Messages
90
Reaction score
5
UPDATE:

With regards to my previous post, I re-flashed the TWRP recovery again, and this time, I was able to enter TWRP Recovery and proceeded with the steps theone89 mentioned and then SuperSU worked! And, Root Checker is also showing that I now have root access! Everything seems fine now!

A BIG THANKYOU to theone89 for providing so much assistance and advice along the way! :s12:

I now have a Rooted Phone! Hooray!! :D

Congratulations on your successful root. Hooray.

With regards to your questions, no, I didn't pay anything for all the apps. I believe you would have found out by now, there are paid ones on Google Play and Free ones on XDA.
 

MGeaR356

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
7,505
Reaction score
59
Anyone rooted tried the newest dx mf8 firmware?

If so how did you do it?

I am on cm10.1 nightly with mea firmware.
 

kendoarts

Master Member
Joined
May 12, 2008
Messages
3,156
Reaction score
1
Just got my S4. Trying to adapt and realised there's so much more to do with it.
Wanted to root it but totally have no idea how it works. (I'm a apple user for the past 5 years).

My most fear is it being bricked. Totally admire and envious those who root their devices.
 

shilldonix

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2010
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
No problem at all :)

One last thing to note ... if you are planning to use Titanium Backup to uninstall apps, be sure you know which apps you are uninstalling.
Just be careful not to uninstall any vital system apps.

Enjoy your rooted S4.

Haha yeah! That was one of the first apps i installed, only freezing apps currently though, don't really dare to uninstall any yet.. xD

Congratulations on your successful root. Hooray.

With regards to your questions, no, I didn't pay anything for all the apps. I believe you would have found out by now, there are paid ones on Google Play and Free ones on XDA.

Hahaha thank you!!
Tbh, I have no idea.. so you mean we can get Full versions for free on XDA? :s12:

Just got my S4. Trying to adapt and realised there's so much more to do with it.
Wanted to root it but totally have no idea how it works. (I'm a apple user for the past 5 years).

My most fear is it being bricked. Totally admire and envious those who root their devices.

Haha welcome over! S4's also my 1st android phone, but all along I've been seeing/hearing about the advantarooting devices so I decided to just go ahead and do it!
Anyway, I totally get you.. Bricking the device was a really worrying factor but seeing so many people enjoying their rooted devices really made me wanna risk it!

I guess for rooting maybe you could just look through the previous posts and it should help you as much as it did for me! Though mine had a minor 'mishap' somewhere somehow but it was still resolved in the end.. Hopefully yours will be as smooth-sailing as KieranC3's! :)

And now.. I'm still learning the ways around a rooted phone.. Really just playing around with the basics now.. and looking forward to the customizations I'll be able to do in future!!
 

longdjon

Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2003
Messages
197
Reaction score
0
Hi all, do you have any good custom roms to recommend?

Prior to rooting, i found the s4 to have pretty average battery life only...hope there's a custom rom out there that can improve this...
 

leehuaqing

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2009
Messages
1,844
Reaction score
1
Hi there,

First time using Samsung products, currently using S4.. Thinking of Rooting the phone but it's also my first time trying rooting.. May any pros here can guide me?

Model Number: GT-I9505
Android Version: 4.2.2
Baseband version: I9505DXUAME2
Kernal version: 3.4.0-526204, se,infra@SEP-101 #1, Thu May 2 21:56:41 KST 2013
Build Number: JDQ39.I9505XXUAME2

Regards,

HQ
 

theone89

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Hi leehuaqing

Rooting any Samsung device is by far the easiest among all other devices for the phone is unlocked already (Intl version), but bear in mind that there are dangers as well, such as bricking your phone. Like what I mentioned to everyone else who wants to root their device, make sure you know what you are doing, otherwise the risk of a brick will be higher. Be sure that you are willing to take the risk before flashing any custom firmware to your phone.

I have posted a guide in this forum to root the S3/S3 LTE and the guide will also apply to rooting the S4 as well, just make sure you download the correct flash file from ChainFire website - download.chainfire.eu/316/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-jflte-jfltexx-gti9505.zip

Refer to my guide here - forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/samsung-user-group-136/s3-s3-lte-how-root-install-custom-recovery-guide-4253860.html

The guide will contain more info than required. Since you are new to rooting, I strongly advice you to stop at the "How to Root" step. Do not attempt to flash any custom recovery unless you are confident.

Hope this helps :)

Hi there,

First time using Samsung products, currently using S4.. Thinking of Rooting the phone but it's also my first time trying rooting.. May any pros here can guide me?

Model Number: GT-I9505
Android Version: 4.2.2
Baseband version: I9505DXUAME2
Kernal version: 3.4.0-526204, se,infra@SEP-101 #1, Thu May 2 21:56:41 KST 2013
Build Number: JDQ39.I9505XXUAME2

Regards,

HQ
 

leehuaqing

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2009
Messages
1,844
Reaction score
1
Hi leehuaqing

Rooting any Samsung device is by far the easiest among all other devices for the phone is unlocked already (Intl version), but bear in mind that there are dangers as well, such as bricking your phone. Like what I mentioned to everyone else who wants to root their device, make sure you know what you are doing, otherwise the risk of a brick will be higher. Be sure that you are willing to take the risk before flashing any custom firmware to your phone.

I have posted a guide in this forum to root the S3/S3 LTE and the guide will also apply to rooting the S4 as well, just make sure you download the correct flash file from ChainFire website - download.chainfire.eu/316/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-jflte-jfltexx-gti9505.zip

Refer to my guide here - forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/samsung-user-group-136/s3-s3-lte-how-root-install-custom-recovery-guide-4253860.html

The guide will contain more info than required. Since you are new to rooting, I strongly advice you to stop at the "How to Root" step. Do not attempt to flash any custom recovery unless you are confident.

Hope this helps :)
Erm, so I just download the correct flash file from ChainFire website - download.chainfire.eu/316/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-jflte-jfltexx-gti9505.zip will do?
 

platee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2009
Messages
16,738
Reaction score
1,834
Root samsung phones so easy. Close eye do also can
 

theone89

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2008
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Yes, download this file and follow the guide step by step. Do not skip any steps and it should be fine :)

Erm, so I just download the correct flash file from ChainFire website - download.chainfire.eu/316/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-jflte-jfltexx-gti9505.zip will do?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top