RX 480 reviews are out

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,914
Reaction score
30,514
82412.png


K6oMm.gif


Well we already know that the Gloflo 14nm is worse than TSMC 16nm but this is unexpected
 

HWZ Editorial

Bot Administrator: PMs cannot be received by this
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Messages
11,629
Reaction score
37
[Review] AMD Radeon RX 480 review: A budget card with not-so-budget performance

AMD has shied away from high-level performance with the Radeon RX 480, but that doesn't mean that the card is shabby. In fact, this may be one of the most interesting (and value for money) cards AMD has made in a while.

View full story here...
 

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
5,937
Reaction score
271
Anandtech has been disappointing under Ryan Smith. Most recently, after 1080 preview, no full review to date.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Anandtech has been disappointing under Ryan Smith. Most recently, after 1080 preview, no full review to date.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know if there is any constraint on their end, but I have to agree with you. Reviews are appearing months after the product is launched and it seems they are reviewing things that people are not that interested. :o
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Nice review. Just one feedback. It would be great to be consistent with the colours of the bar for every test. I noticed that I need to reconfirm on the legend to make sure I am reading the correct bar because the colour is not the same. :s13:
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,914
Reaction score
30,514
Anandtech has been disappointing under Ryan Smith. Most recently, after 1080 preview, no full review to date.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thou you say this, they are the only review comparing RX 480 with GTX 1070 so far, which is what is most important.

Like who would want to care GTX 970 if it's already known GTX 1070 is way faster.
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,914
Reaction score
30,514
Well... $388 multiplied by 1.6 = $620, so this thing beats 1070 by raw value

However raw value isn't the only thing important. Future-proofing and actually being fast enough is; Integrated GPU would otherwise have best raw value.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
After reading a few, I do feel somewhat disappointed as the RX 480 is not up to what I expect it to be. It is faster than the 380X, but it is just marginally better than a GTX 970 with the same level of power consumption. Hopefully the RX 480 can find a more stable footing with more people adopting DX 12.

Perhaps I am asking for too much for a card priced at USD 199 and 229 bucks. :s13:
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,034
Reaction score
8,288
After reading a few, I do feel somewhat disappointed as the RX 480 is not up to what I expect it to be. It is faster than the 380X, but it is just marginally better than a GTX 970 with the same level of power consumption. Hopefully the RX 480 can find a more stable footing with more people adopting DX 12.

Perhaps I am asking for too much for a card priced at USD 199 and 229 bucks. :s13:

I think RX 480 str lies in DX 12, maybe after optimization it will perform a little better and hopefully able to par with the 980 in a few titles.
 

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
28,164
Reaction score
3,133
Is it?
#oops.

Let's see if we can tweak that tomorrow and then update our base file :s22:

Nice review. Just one feedback. It would be great to be consistent with the colours of the bar for every test. I noticed that I need to reconfirm on the legend to make sure I am reading the correct bar because the colour is not the same. :s13:
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I think RX 480 str lies in DX 12, maybe after optimization it will perform a little better and hopefully able to par with the 980 in a few titles.

That could be the case. Perhaps more mature drivers will give it a slight bump too.

Again, I think it is not a bad buy at 199 USD onwards. :)
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Zen... Considering that AMD has been stuck on 28nm for a long time, so 14nm should at least make them more competitive with Intel.
 

jaloon

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Messages
2,078
Reaction score
1
The worst thing is that they hyped Perf/W earlier by comparing it to 28nm products, resulting in an underwhelming situation whereby their competitor's product and process gives a better product.
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,914
Reaction score
30,514
AMD made me miss the $100 off $600 qoo10 coupon
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top