S4 Active would not start up or charge

dinnosaur

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2002
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I was charging it through my power bank last night and woke up this morning to find it totally flat. Nothing I tried would start it up whether it was to remove the batteries or press my buttons in various permutations. All I had was a black screen, dead and motionless. Any attempt to charge my phone would only heat it up, I assume that was the battery pack getting heated.

I already checked, its not any of the charging cables or the power supply or power bank. I took it to a mobile phone shop and asked if they had S4 batteries I could try with. Tried 2 and neither worked.

Is my phone really dead?
 
Last edited:

sgmem88

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2007
Messages
2,402
Reaction score
940
I was charging it through my power bank last night and woke up this morning to find it totally flat. Nothing I tried would start it up whether it was to remove the batteries or press my buttons in various permutations. All I had was a black screen, dead and motionless. Any attempt to charge my phone would only heat it up, I assume that was the battery pack getting heated.

I already checked, its not any of the charging cables or the power supply or power bank. I took it to a mobile phone shop and asked if they had S4 batteries I could try with. Tried 2 and neither worked.

Is my phone really dead?

Have you tried pressing the power button for 10-12seconds,release, press power button again for 2 seconds, release, to see whether it boot up?

Or try go into recovery mode by press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:
Volume Up
Home
Power

When the recovery mode screen appears, release all three buttons.
Follow the screen instructions to reboot system.
 

dinnosaur

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2002
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
yeah...did that.. and all kinds of unthinkable combinations too.
repair centre says motherboard is spoilt.
 

sunset73

Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
163
Reaction score
3
I was charging it through my power bank last night and woke up this morning to find it totally flat. Nothing I tried would start it up whether it was to remove the batteries or press my buttons in various permutations. All I had was a black screen, dead and motionless. Any attempt to charge my phone would only heat it up, I assume that was the battery pack getting heated.

I already checked, its not any of the charging cables or the power supply or power bank. I took it to a mobile phone shop and asked if they had S4 batteries I could try with. Tried 2 and neither worked.

Is my phone really dead?

Bro! Hold on! Before you replace your motherboard, please bring your phone to breakfix @ bugis street. Samsung phones up to S4 has been plagued by what they call a "sudden death" syndrome. A check on the internet can explain it. I had a similar problem like yours with my S3. Service centre say motherboard dead. High cost of replacement due to warranty no more. I brought it to breakfix @ bugis and they said is chip problem. I spent $120 to replace eMMC chip and my phone revived!

Not advertising for them, but sharing with a similar experience I had! Hope you don't waste unnecessary money. It might not be a motherboard problem, just the chip problem.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top