S8+ camera quality?

blecap

Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
Got this on the official release islandwide.
Camera settings is all Auto, camera lens are wipe clean.
Tried differently aspect ratio and both landscape and portrait my purpose is just to point and shoot and I didn't take notice or took many pictures only until recently. To be sure, I took at different environment scenarios and settings.

Here's the issue, I point it at something say near, it's clear but the surrounding is blurry that's expected. As I move further away bit by bit every shot of it's surrounding pics are also blurry, in fact, the overall quality is pretty crap.

Just picture it as I snap a pic both at landscape and portrait mode and expecting the overall quality of photo to be clear, as I pinch/zoom out slowly, both in phone and com, respectively, the text/words are pretty much unreadable in every way I shoot except for the object that I'm shooting.

Somewhat when I see reviewers on YouTube, websites, it's not the same as my experience, it just baffles me, why is mine another dimension lol. Is this normal or a faulty unit?

It's just exactly like this: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...and-Answers/S8-Plus-blurry-picture/td-p/95863
 
Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
Got this on the official release islandwide.
Camera settings is all Auto, camera lens are wipe clean.
Tried differently aspect ratio and both landscape and portrait my purpose is just to point and shoot and I didn't take notice or took many pictures only until recently. To be sure, I took at different environment scenarios and settings.

Here's the issue, I point it at something say near, it's clear but the surrounding is blurry that's expected. As I move further away bit by bit every shot of it's surrounding pics are also blurry, in fact, the overall quality is pretty crap.

Just picture it as I snap a pic both at landscape and portrait mode and expecting the overall quality of photo to be clear, as I pinch/zoom out slowly, both in phone and com, respectively, the text/words are pretty much unreadable in every way I shoot except for the object that I'm shooting.

Somewhat when I see reviewers on YouTube, websites, it's not the same as my experience, it just baffles me, why is mine another dimension lol. Is this normal or a faulty unit?

It's just exactly like this: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...and-Answers/S8-Plus-blurry-picture/td-p/95863

erm i don't have this issue. i think its the technique of shooting is wrong.

samsung phones don't do the technique of al-servo, meaning it doesn't automatically adjust the autofocus when you have a moving objecting, either nearer to you or further away from you. you need to manually tap the screen to autofocus and it should do it well, unless your object is too near. Moreover, if you have fixed the autofocus by holding down the lock, then the autofocus will be fixed for sometime until its unlocked by a tap on the screen.

With reference on the egg picture you quoted, its obviously a picture taken with a slanted angle but not top down. With then, if the user tap on the egg at the foreground and if the phone is near to the foreground egg, then phone will automatically apply the focus on the foreground and blur the background. This effect will also be enhanced under special settings or camera mode. Different camera app will also give you the different degree of depth of field.
 

blecap

Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
erm i don't have this issue. i think its the technique of shooting is wrong.

samsung phones don't do the technique of al-servo, meaning it doesn't automatically adjust the autofocus when you have a moving objecting, either nearer to you or further away from you. you need to manually tap the screen to autofocus and it should do it well, unless your object is too near. Moreover, if you have fixed the autofocus by holding down the lock, then the autofocus will be fixed for sometime until its unlocked by a tap on the screen.

With reference on the egg picture you quoted, its obviously a picture taken with a slanted angle but not top down. With then, if the user tap on the egg at the foreground and if the phone is near to the foreground egg, then phone will automatically apply the focus on the foreground and blur the background. This effect will also be enhanced under special settings or camera mode. Different camera app will also give you the different degree of depth of field.

I see, so let's say I want the entire photo to be just as clear like those that is "focus" but without the blurry part, any techniques or tricks to that?
Can you also perhaps share what are your settings in the phone? I am also not sure which is a better quality or whatsoever if I choose the default 4:3 (12MP) or the 16:9 (9.1MP), how you shoot a photo? Thanks bro.
 

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,328
Reaction score
291
I see, so let's say I want the entire photo to be just as clear like those that is "focus" but without the blurry part, any techniques or tricks to that?
Can you also perhaps share what are your settings in the phone? I am also not sure which is a better quality or whatsoever if I choose the default 4:3 (12MP) or the 16:9 (9.1MP), how you shoot a photo? Thanks bro.

You mean you want full depth of field where the image is sharp from the foreground to the background? Easy, move further back from the egg when you take the picture. Move back until the focus on the egg is similar to that of the background... what you doing is to ensure that the egg and background are a similar distance from the camera's focal plane.

It doesn't matter which aspect ratio you choose where image quality is concerned... it's simply a matter of the shape of the photo that is taken, either more squarish or more rectangular... the number of pixels changes due to having to fit the area of the image to the camera sensor area.
 

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
Now we talk about eggs huh. Hahas!

Yes mingern is right. You need to move away from the subject of focus so that the subject seems on the same plane of the background.

Alternatively, shoot top down lor.

If not, you can lower down shutter speed and close up the aperture.. If your aperture is big, the background becomes blur..

You mean you want full depth of field where the image is sharp from the foreground to the background? Easy, move further back from the egg when you take the picture. Move back until the focus on the egg is similar to that of the background... what you doing is to ensure that the egg and background are a similar distance from the camera's focal plane.

It doesn't matter which aspect ratio you choose where image quality is concerned... it's simply a matter of the shape of the photo that is taken, either more squarish or more rectangular... the number of pixels changes due to having to fit the area of the image to the camera sensor area.
 

blecap

Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
You mean you want full depth of field where the image is sharp from the foreground to the background? Easy, move further back from the egg when you take the picture. Move back until the focus on the egg is similar to that of the background... what you doing is to ensure that the egg and background are a similar distance from the camera's focal plane.

It doesn't matter which aspect ratio you choose where image quality is concerned... it's simply a matter of the shape of the photo that is taken, either more squarish or more rectangular... the number of pixels changes due to having to fit the area of the image to the camera sensor area.

Hahaha no lah, it's just an example to show my issue :p
I just took a snap a photo and from foreground to background, the entire photo now looks normal but 1 thing, it's over-sharpened on the edges of most objects, not very nice though.
Then randomly I use my Tab S2 (2016) and do a close up shot, the yada yada and weirdly enough it still does have that over-sharpened edges still. I mean really? Tab S2? lol!
I'm not sure what I've done wrong here. How best to explain the condition of my environment, in my room, and not bright, not dark just eyeballing it, I can say it's a little more dark where I shot the photos.
 

tkl23786

Master Member
Joined
May 11, 2015
Messages
3,279
Reaction score
158
Samsung Singapore should conduct a "Camera 101 with Samsung Phones" class

:s13:

Since the upcoming Note8 is touted to have the best dual camera in the market right now, I think it is a good chance to have this type of class to teach people how to use their atas phone camera.

Photography is a skill. Knowing how to shoot and what settings to use is also key to take tok-kong pics

:D:D:D:D:D
 

blecap

Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
You mean you want full depth of field where the image is sharp from the foreground to the background? Easy, move further back from the egg when you take the picture. Move back until the focus on the egg is similar to that of the background... what you doing is to ensure that the egg and background are a similar distance from the camera's focal plane.

It doesn't matter which aspect ratio you choose where image quality is concerned... it's simply a matter of the shape of the photo that is taken, either more squarish or more rectangular... the number of pixels changes due to having to fit the area of the image to the camera sensor area.

Samsung Singapore should conduct a "Camera 101 with Samsung Phones" class

:s13:

Since the upcoming Note8 is touted to have the best dual camera in the market right now, I think it is a good chance to have this type of class to teach people how to use their atas phone camera.

Photography is a skill. Knowing how to shoot and what settings to use is also key to take tok-kong pics

:D:D:D:D:D

Noted with utmost care and concern. You're so tok-kong. Don't mention it.
 

deathst

Master Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2010
Messages
3,451
Reaction score
2
Hahaha no lah, it's just an example to show my issue :p
I just took a snap a photo and from foreground to background, the entire photo now looks normal but 1 thing, it's over-sharpened on the edges of most objects, not very nice though.
Then randomly I use my Tab S2 (2016) and do a close up shot, the yada yada and weirdly enough it still does have that over-sharpened edges still. I mean really? Tab S2? lol!
I'm not sure what I've done wrong here. How best to explain the condition of my environment, in my room, and not bright, not dark just eyeballing it, I can say it's a little more dark where I shot the photos.

Actually there is this camera mode called selective focus that can blend both foreground and background focus into one at post process. Basically shoot using the selective focus mode then view the image using the Samsung Gallery and you should be able to select pan focus or something. I can’t remember the name of the merged focus but there is a function.
 

blecap

Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
Actually there is this camera mode called selective focus that can blend both foreground and background focus into one at post process. Basically shoot using the selective focus mode then view the image using the Samsung Gallery and you should be able to select pan focus or something. I can’t remember the name of the merged focus but there is a function.

Just tried it, take a pic then edit and select Pan focus. Somehow, it look much better, will try more tomorrow with daylight. Thanks bro. +1 knowledge for me!

Have another 100 lessons to learn as quoted by oh so popular tkl23786
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top