Salvaging own computer parts

GottaCatchEmAll

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2012
Messages
975
Reaction score
0
I'm looking to make a new gaming computer under 1k. My previous computer has spoilt almost a year and it's still rotting in my house. I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to computer parts/models but I hope to salvage some old parts to save costs or have more budget for other parts.

The problem with my computer is that when I switch it on, the monitor cannot detect any digital input. Initially, this problem was gradual, for example, I can play games for 3-5 hours before the issue comes in. I can still hear sounds from the game even though my screen is black. A quick restart would solve the problem.

The problem gets worse when 3-5 hours becomes 1-2 hours and now it's 0 hours. I think it's my graphic card.

I hope to salvage some small parts like RAM (4GB) and HDD (1TB) and anything else that is carry-easy to SLS. I believe these parts are still working fine. Anyway to find out? :o

I only play Dota 2, web surfing, movies. For my new computer spec, have to play at best settings of Dota 2 and capable of playing new games in the future.

Any shop has service for entertaining old parts? :)

EDIT: GPU has to be HDMI compatible; gonna play on a HDTV
 
Last edited:

coyote

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
85,451
Reaction score
28,664
Dota requirements is not high, getting a $200 or below graphic card to replace your old one should fix that. One thing is to open up your chassis and see how much wattage your power supply and if it's enough for the new card.
 

GottaCatchEmAll

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2012
Messages
975
Reaction score
0
Actually my PSU is also very new. I replaced the old one because it got burnt from playing dota 2.

I could recall hearing it running faster than normal whenever I play Dota 2.

My old psu is 500
New psu is 550.

The problem with the new PSU is that it has only one connector to the graphic card. My graphic has 2 input. I fixed this by myself, so I opened up the chassis already. I forgot what that connector is called.

I used a split connector to make my current PSU to be compatible with my graphic card. I looked online and the difference for my setup is nothing much.
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Actually my PSU is also very new. I replaced the old one because it got burnt from playing dota 2.

I could recall hearing it running faster than normal whenever I play Dota 2.

My old psu is 500
New psu is 550.

The problem with the new PSU is that it has only one connector to the graphic card. My graphic has 2 input. I fixed this by myself, so I opened up the chassis already. I forgot what that connector is called.

I used a split connector to make my current PSU to be compatible with my graphic card. I looked online and the difference for my setup is nothing much.

What PSU are you using? Never skimp on a cheapo PSU because it can end up zapping all other components. It sounds like you have one because you said it has only 1 pcie power connector and had to use dual-molex to pcie adapter for the 2nd connection.

All decent PSU of 550W power would have at least 2x 8-pin pcie, which yours doesn't seem to have.
 

GottaCatchEmAll

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2012
Messages
975
Reaction score
0
so possibly the PSU has killed my gpu?

Anyway Im ok with changing my new PSU :(
I feel better getting a PSU with high wattage.. with more spare wattage to spare..

Other than ram and hdd, what can i save?
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
so possibly the PSU has killed my gpu?

Anyway Im ok with changing my new PSU :(
I feel better getting a PSU with high wattage.. with more spare wattage to spare..

Other than ram and hdd, what can i save?

Possibly. Quality > Wattage. I'm on a 2-yr old 560W PSU...with 5 more years of warranty to go through & I've never heard it running
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Seasonic G-550, around $115 mark iirc. 5-yrs warranty with Corbell. If you wanna invest in a 7-yr warranty model, X-650 around $170 mark. I only recommended you Seasonic because that's what I get for everyone whom I've built PCs for.

There are other brands with good PSU models (and more bang-for-buck) like Superflower and FSP, but I'll let other people recommend the specifics to you.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top