Samsung Note 3 software update bug

howdidoo

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Any of you guys recvd the software update yesterday (23 Nov 2013) and suddenly found a bug which drains the battery? Samsung Note 3 on Singtel.

I updated last night, battery was on 60% and when I woke up this morning battery down to 15% and draining. It never happened so fast before.
Infact every night I switch off the mobile data and wifi radios so that the vibrations from Whatsapp notification etc dont disturb me. So I am sure no other apps were running and using my battery.

I hope the fix for this bug is coming up. Samsung and Singtel get your act together. Or give us Kitkat straightaway this week ;)
 

wilflare

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
9,903
Reaction score
25
Any of you guys recvd the software update yesterday (23 Nov 2013) and suddenly found a bug which drains the battery? Samsung Note 3 on Singtel.

I updated last night, battery was on 60% and when I woke up this morning battery down to 15% and draining. It never happened so fast before.
Infact every night I switch off the mobile data and wifi radios so that the vibrations from Whatsapp notification etc dont disturb me. So I am sure no other apps were running and using my battery.

I hope the fix for this bug is coming up. Samsung and Singtel get your act together. Or give us Kitkat straightaway this week ;)

been using the latest update. been working fine for me. under your battery status screen, what's eating your battery?

try installing betterbatterystats or wakelock detector
 

agoodfella

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
I've also noticed faster battery drain post the new update.

Someone on the general Note 3 thread mentioned that this typically happens after an new update and normally sorts itself out. Hope he's right.
 

RequiemDK

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
400
Reaction score
0
Any of you guys recvd the software update yesterday (23 Nov 2013) and suddenly found a bug which drains the battery? Samsung Note 3 on Singtel.

I updated last night, battery was on 60% and when I woke up this morning battery down to 15% and draining. It never happened so fast before.
Infact every night I switch off the mobile data and wifi radios so that the vibrations from Whatsapp notification etc dont disturb me. So I am sure no other apps were running and using my battery.

I hope the fix for this bug is coming up. Samsung and Singtel get your act together. Or give us Kitkat straightaway this week ;)

Is Google Play Services responsible for that? There's some screw up recently by Google that made that thing cause excessive battery drain on many many Android phones. Typically a reboot fixes it, but it's not a guaranteed thing as some people have reported that the problem came back after a while. It happened to my phone before the update, but hasn't come back ever since. Also, it's good to do a factory reset after an update. Typically prevents some stability issues.
 

kEvinErd

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
5,783
Reaction score
468
My phone seems to be experiencing some major kernel wake locks after the MJ7 update namely bam_dmux_wakelock and resume_wakelock..
 

Jurong640

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2011
Messages
45,345
Reaction score
18,575
have been using a few days of MJ7. Sometimes it will still drain.
However i manually go stop the google play services
 

GreenHorn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,500
Reaction score
0
It drains on my first day of update, 2nd day onwards i find it's better than MJ1 leh.
 

townman

Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2001
Messages
473
Reaction score
7
Is Google Play Services responsible for that? There's some screw up recently by Google that made that thing cause excessive battery drain on many many Android phones. Typically a reboot fixes it, but it's not a guaranteed thing as some people have reported that the problem came back after a while. It happened to my phone before the update, but hasn't come back ever since. Also, it's good to do a factory reset after an update. Typically prevents some stability issues.

I had no problem so far after the update on Sat evening, before that I had battery drain cos by the Play Services as well, after restart the battery like back to normal, eg, 100% at 12am, with wifi on and all auto sync, till now is 80% (10.40am) -- 10 hrs 40 mins, with 30 min of online radio (TuneIn app) on my way to work this morning.
 

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,198
Reaction score
3,680
Besides battery drain issue, I encountered another problem.

From sleep mode I tried to wake it by pressing home or power button, then it took like 2 - 3 secs to wake up to lock screen. Previously before the update, it was instantaneous.

Now looks like downgrade rather than update!
 

kelvinti

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
23,269
Reaction score
2,433
MJ7 here for 4 days.

Slept at 94% at 2am.

Woke up at 90% at 12 PM now.

With all Sync on, GPS is on 24/7. No Power Saving Mode.

I can't be any happier. ;)
 

ddwmk2002

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2003
Messages
1,004
Reaction score
12
Battery drain faster after the update. Not by alot thou.

My bigger problem is constantly getting unstable WIFI connection at home. Keep getting "Your internet connection is unstable" message, slowed to a crawl and sometime just dc after a while.

So much so, had to sit beside the router for a stable connection. Strangely, sometime it go back to normal...:s11:
 

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,198
Reaction score
3,680
actually my previous version was working very well for the batt. And the lockscreen now wait there for 5 secs before it can wake!! Really feel like going back to Samsung to downgrade it. But then rumoured that 4.4 kitkat is coming in January. So no choice bear with it for 2 months.
 

kambing_chua

Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2005
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
i had updated... but no problem for mi... batt no drain, wifi connection nothing wrong.. and speed is like the same as the first wan....
 

GreenHorn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,500
Reaction score
0
actually my previous version was working very well for the batt. And the lockscreen now wait there for 5 secs before it can wake!! Really feel like going back to Samsung to downgrade it. But then rumoured that 4.4 kitkat is coming in January. So no choice bear with it for 2 months.

No such problems, best you do a hard reset.
 

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,198
Reaction score
3,680
So I realised it is the sandisk microsd card that is causing the 5 secs wake up problem.
 

camholicx

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
96
if hard reset is system reset.. how can i restore back everything back again?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top