Saving money by bypassing property agent

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2012
Messages
9,315
Reaction score
678
I stumbled onto a money-saving blog post. It is quite obvious that for HDB transactions, we should do it ourselves without going through property agents. The savings is tremendous (can be worth at least 1 month salary) because the value of a property can be very high. For HDB transactions, it is also not so hard.

For private properties, it is not so obvious. If I am a buyer of private property, I think one had better get a qualified agent to make sure that the title deed is transferred properly. However, if I am a seller, this is not a concern to me and I will try to do it myself. The cost savings will be tremendous without going through a property agent.

Any opinions from forummers? I state upfront that I am not a property agent. Just want the best deal for myself and fellow Singaporeans. I hope forummers who are property agents will state their conflict of interest when they post on this thread.

Diary of A Singaporean Mind: Why you should try not to sell your stuff through middlemen....
 

kebinu

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2001
Messages
38,084
Reaction score
1,870
Most of these jobs are still here for good reasons.

Yes we can definitely save money by cutting middleman. We can do our own house chores (do away with maids), cook our own food, bid and import our own car, etc. list can just go on.

We have to pay to get the service.
 

TUV2008

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 31, 2008
Messages
77,661
Reaction score
28,154
I sold two apt without paying normal commission , I advertised my own and only the agents came to beg me for doing paper work. Sino just paid $500 only.
 

GenuineSeller

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
1,421
Reaction score
3
For private properties, it is not so obvious. If I am a buyer of private property, I think one had better get a qualified agent to make sure that the title deed is transferred properly.

Agents do not make sure your title deed is transferred properly. Lawyers do that....that's why we need to pay legal fee .....
 

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2012
Messages
9,315
Reaction score
678
Agents do not make sure your title deed is transferred properly. Lawyers do that....that's why we need to pay legal fee

Thank you for the useful piece of information. If lawyers ensure that the paperwork is done properly, then the agent's work lies in helping me find a buyer or seller. Suppose I have already identified a buyer/seller. Do I still need an agent? Does an agent add value at this point?
 

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2012
Messages
9,315
Reaction score
678
Yes we can definitely save money by cutting middleman. We can do our own house chores (do away with maids), cook our own food, bid and import our own car, etc. list can just go on.

We have to pay to get the service.

Sure. I don't mind paying to get someone cook food for me or do household chores because the cost is cheap. However, an agent's commission can be worth several months of salary. It certainly make good sense of bypass an expensive middleman, especially if he costs me several months of my salary.
 

GenuineSeller

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
1,421
Reaction score
3
Thank you for the useful piece of information. If lawyers ensure that the paperwork is done properly, then the agent's work lies in helping me find a buyer or seller. Suppose I have already identified a buyer/seller. Do I still need an agent? Does an agent add value at this point?

I rented out my apartment by advertising on my own. Paid stamp duty but fee was paid by tenant.

I sold my apartment by advertising and finally paid half the commission when one agent responded to my ad.
 

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2012
Messages
9,315
Reaction score
678
I rented out my apartment by advertising on my own. Paid stamp duty but fee was paid by tenant.

I sold my apartment by advertising and finally paid half the commission when one agent responded to my ad.

Thanks for the reply. I understand now. If I am willing to spend time to find buyer/seller for myself, then the property agent has no value for me.
 

GenuineSeller

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
1,421
Reaction score
3
Thanks for the reply. I understand now. If I am willing to spend time to find buyer/seller for myself, then the property agent has no value for me.

Property agents usually will know more buyers/sellers than us. For rental, they will have more value as they could assist with tenant issues or tenancy agreement etc.

Good luck....
 

chopra

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Messages
50,512
Reaction score
679
For hdb, you need agent to sell. But you can buy without agent. Paperwork is all listed in e hdb website. :)
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,381
Reaction score
2,491
Agents sometimes can help a lot d, coz their network is much wider.

I try rent out my room myself, very hard to get viewings. Pass it to a few agents , the response are fast.
 

doody_

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
7,508
Reaction score
7
Agents sometimes can help a lot d, coz their network is much wider.

I try rent out my room myself, very hard to get viewings. Pass it to a few agents , the response are fast.

That is their value add, else they would be out of job. You are also paying for their network. That's why go for big agencies.
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,733
Reaction score
133
Sure. I don't mind paying to get someone cook food for me or do household chores because the cost is cheap. However, an agent's commission can be worth several months of salary. It certainly make good sense of bypass an expensive middleman, especially if he costs me several months of my salary.

This is why so many want to become agent. 1% of 1M$ house is quite good. Providing they do a good job. Otherwise, spend sometime yourself and save the money.

If time is important to you, then no choice.
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,381
Reaction score
2,491
I am thinking of becoming one already. Will go read up more on this.

This is why so many want to become agent. 1% of 1M$ house is quite good. Providing they do a good job. Otherwise, spend sometime yourself and save the money.

If time is important to you, then no choice.
 

needreader

Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2008
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
I stumbled onto a money-saving blog post. It is quite obvious that for HDB transactions, we should do it ourselves without going through property agents. The savings is tremendous (can be worth at least 1 month salary) because the value of a property can be very high. For HDB transactions, it is also not so hard.

Problem is that some of the property that's listed on the website required you to co-broke with the "assigned property agent". If you fail to do that, the seller agent would refuse to sell the property to you. In order to buy the property, you are "forced" to go through the property agent.
 

highsulphur

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
77,947
Reaction score
40,433
In a bull market, there's less need for a seller to have a agent.

In a bear market, there's less need for a buyer to have a agent.

You try selling your house now without an agent and see how it is...
 

qhong61

Banned
Joined
Nov 3, 2015
Messages
73,041
Reaction score
12,227
In a bull market, there's less need for a seller to have a agent.

In a bear market, there's lesseneed for a buyer to have a agent.

You try selling your house now without an agent and see how it is...
I think it's better to have an agent to sell our flat if it's in a not so popular area. Else we will have to incur a lot of advertising charges and with little results.
 

chuanz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2007
Messages
5,010
Reaction score
13
Just wondering if the thread digger is subtly advertising or sic... It's a grey grey area... LOL!
 

subprimelive

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
1,230
Reaction score
23
Thanks for the reply. I understand now. If I am willing to spend time to find buyer/seller for myself, then the property agent has no value for me.
Advertising fees is expensive or cheap if u advertise yrself?
Advertise online is free?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top