Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB
The Kombi ride was pretty special – and quite an experience, Food @ Coastal Settlement was excellent, nice place, nice ambience, I plan to go back there again soon
The Seagate Product speakers know their products, and clarified with answers before I can even ask them about the very same concerns I have as a potential end-user.
About the product itself, I pretty much did a fair amount of research online once I was informed that I was selected for the road trip, so I actually managed my expectations of the product. I’m a keen Home Theatre, Audiophile enthusiast, so the product is very very useful for me, especially when I have a "lowly" 16G iPad mini, 16GB HP Touchpad and a 64GB Blackberry PlayBook.
The 1TB HDD that allows for streaming directly to my devices using the Seagate media iOS/Android app or either via the web browser (which works as advertised on iOS, Android and even webOS) are great for my frequent ah-hoc last minute travels.
I do, however, have some concerns, which I hope can be incorporated into the next version of Wireless Plus.
- Inability to charge (via USB) and still use Wireless Sharing at the same time. I wouldn’t want to bring along a power adapter overseas all the time, and especially I don’t get power points on the plane unless I fly business.
- Inability to decode certain formats which I took pains to rip at its highest quality, while I understand the processor in the device is not made for that, it defeats the purpose having to re-encode my files just for storing it in the HDD. (i.e. M2TS Blu-Ray Rip, DTS-HDMA, True-HD, 24bit, 96/192KHz Lossless audio files are not supported or down-mixed to Stereo)
- Build-in DLNA is a streamer, not a decoder (as above); as I am too accustomed to my TwonkyMedia setup.
Still, for the typical DVD rips, MP4 videos, videos from smartphones and the vast collection of photos I have (I do lots of photography), they make it easy for me to bring my collection along, well, until I chance upon NEF, RAW file formats which the Wireless Plus can’t decode as well – but I could download them into my iOS devices and view them with third party apps using the "Open In" function.
I tried a couple of iOS based DLNA Clients like OPlayer (Lite) and GPlayer and streaming started instantly with little or no delays.
The Wireless Plus got a little warm after some use, but it's very bearable, like most portable HDDs - it didn't last the marketed 10 hours of use (with non-HD playback), but it did allow me to finish watching 3 movies and browsing my folder of ~1500 photos before I require a recharge.
In all, the Wireless Plus is an interesting concept and oh-so-convenient to bring around. Especially with the popularity of gigantic HD contents, everyone will appreciate it's usefulness and capability. Hopefully Seagate will be able to iron out the minor pain points above in subsequent products in their roadmap.