Share your Investment/Trading experience

uncle78

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
503
Reaction score
0
Time really flies, i have been investing or trading for close to 20 years liao. Anyone like to share your journey in investment / trading?

I will share my hardship in investing/trading.. Here is my journey :s12:

I fell in love with stocks market through the popular drama "The Greed of Man" when it started showing on SBC channel 8 in the late 90s when i was still a secondary kid. I still remember reading all the old investment books like "Market Wizard, Pick Stocks Like Peter Lynch, Invest like Warren Buffett, One up on wall street, Basic of Technical Trading, etc" from National library in the good old days. I didnt spend money to attend any courses or trading class.

Its my dream to make a fortune and retire early so I bought my first penny tech stock in SGX with all my saving. I went through all the fundamental analysis, good cash flow, value for money, good profit margin but still lost all my saving. I start picking stocks like Peter Lynch, select a lot of pennies 10 to 100 local stocks hoping to make money like him. But i realise that SGX mkt is different from USA mkt. A lot of Singapore penny stock will either delist or go bankrupt unlike the USA mkt where they can grow 10-20 folds.. This is my first expensive lesson from local stock mkt.

Lucky while i trade using Peter Lynch techniques, i also learn to invest like Warren Buffett in blue chips like SPC, Banks and Property stocks.. It made me some money but i learned that i will never be as rich as Warren Buffett even if i master all his investment skills. Its too slow and I will not see any local blue chips growing from $1 to $100 in my lifetime.

Many yrs ago there was Channelnewsasia market forum, that was where i started following some traders as they were posting their live trade.. I got interested in options and started to follow the posting.. I heard the old mentor has passed away many yrs ago.. His technique was simple.. but follow the USA future, if its super green e.g. long HSI or STI warrant or if its super red, buy Put HSI or STI warrants. Hold overnight and sell the next day. It was fast profit money and sometime can win thousand or lose thousand a day. After trading for few months to 1 yr, i realised that options are heavy manipulated and it was not worth the risk..

So after a 3-5 yrs of local mkt, i decided to sell away all my local stocks, options and although i make money from blue chips but i still lost as much as $200k from local pennies stocks, warrant, CFD etc.

When i first started in USA investment 15 yrs ago, i used the Dogs of Dows Jones method. we just buy the bottom 3-5 underachievers and wait for 1 yr to reshuffle the portfolio. Its a easy method and start making back some money. I also applied the Peter Lynch techniques and Warren buffett methods and started making back more money.. I learned that its easier to make money if you are in the right mkt. The investment books i read are more suitable for USA mkt than Singapore mkt.

After testing so many methods, i also understand myself better. As i am not a patient person, so investing like Warren Buffet isn't suitable although it can makes me $. Trading like Peter Lynch also is not suitable as he picks penny or multi baggers stocks but this takes a lot of research and homework. I am lazy and don't have the patience for such hardwork.. I still prefer fast action, day trading and after so many yrs in US mkt, I have started to make consistent profit trading blue chips, ETF etc, making enough to enjoy my kopi and fav hawker food everyday. Lucky to survive the mkt after 20 yrs

Hope my 20 yrs experience can inspire someone one day. If you have a dream continue to purse it..
 
Last edited:

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2003
Messages
6,757
Reaction score
533
Its my dream to make a fortune and retire early so I bought my first penny tech stock in SGX with all my saving. I went through all the fundamental analysis, good cash flow, value for money, good profit margin but still lost all my saving. I start picking stocks like Peter Lynch, select a lot of pennies 10 to 100 local stocks hoping to make money like him. But i realise that SGX mkt is different from USA mkt. A lot of Singapore penny stock will either delist or go bankrupt unlike the USA mkt where they can grow 10-20 folds.. This is my first expensive lesson from local stock mkt.

Can only choose one here. Punt penny stocks ... never read fundamental. If read fundamental... never ever touch penny stocks. This is good reason why they are penny stocks. They have zero fundamental. :(
 

wahkao3

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
26,802
Reaction score
24
Can only choose one here. Punt penny stocks ... never read fundamental. If read fundamental... never ever touch penny stocks. This is good reason why they are penny stocks. They have zero fundamental. :(

ok lah, some penny stock ok one.
most are lousy but some are ok
 

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
84,162
Reaction score
10,088
Thanks for sharing your 20 years journey. I am just on 5-6 years. :s12:
Nothing much except SGX is the toughest market I’m in. US is simpler for me.
 

goldnut

Master Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2013
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
1,559
Started investing in POSB Invest Saver. Realised the STI is crap. Decided to go with SSB and US etfs instead.

Okay, so I use a robo for the second one. :D
 

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2010
Messages
29,451
Reaction score
5,625
Thanks for sharing your 20 years journey. I am just on 5-6 years. :s12:
Nothing much except SGX is the toughest market I’m in. US is simpler for me.

SGX not toughest.. just that is slow

but benefits of being slow is that even though lesser returns, won't lose too much money overnight :s45:

as in US stocks can go up 200-300% overnight but it can also go down 200-300% overnight.. SGX stocks may go down 200-300% over a few weeks but it won't happen overnight or over a few days at least. but of course, it means it is hard for it to go up 200-300% in a day or few days too (e.g. Creative recently)
 

Mecisteus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2002
Messages
55,776
Reaction score
12,241
SGX not toughest.. just that is slow

but benefits of being slow is that even though lesser returns, won't lose too much money overnight :s45:

as in US stocks can go up 200-300% overnight but it can also go down 200-300% overnight.. SGX stocks may go down 200-300% over a few weeks but it won't happen overnight or over a few days at least. but of course, it means it is hard for it to go up 200-300% in a day or few days too (e.g. Creative recently)

How to go down more than 100% assuming no margin. :s22:
 

Minimalists

Junior Member
Joined
May 27, 2018
Messages
98
Reaction score
1
Please share more with us. So the secret is don’t trade SG market, focus on US instead? Use the dogs of the Dow method?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top