Shares to buy for beginner

MrGachaMan

Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2010
Messages
312
Reaction score
0
As above , what shares to buy for beginner investor ?? I looking for long term and good dividend . Pls advice . Thank :)
 

ahlee83

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2007
Messages
628
Reaction score
2
no one will advise u la. wait u lose money then how?

before jumping into shares, you need to decide which industry you want to invest in, region, market outlook, etc.

then look at company profile, high risk companies, or blue chip companies...

best way to learn is to start small.
 
Last edited:

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2001
Messages
20,816
Reaction score
2,726
Save your money for a downturn and invest all one shot, why not look at savings accounts like cimb starsaver and ocbc 360 and short term 3-6 mths type fixed deposit in the meantime?

At least those for sure guarantee if below 50k sgd plus your money is liquid enough to move around when a good opportunity comes.

That or maybe sti etf es3 or g3b? But market is kinda high now

Blue-chips are good for dividends but really expensive now so probably not. Personally I have m1 and St engineering as blue chips 700 shares in total for both.

Maybe read up on USA and Europe markets and investment books in the mean time? In those countries there are other ways to invest besides just a stock, can get options and futures and warrants too. My maths is bad so I need to read up and understand more too

Sent from Sony Z5 using GAGT
 

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
84,170
Reaction score
10,088
As above , what shares to buy for beginner investor ?? I looking for long term and good dividend . Pls advice . Thank :)

Sometimes we become so afraid because the stock market is at a high(STI), or breaking new high(Nasdaq, S&P, DJIA etc...) that we forgot, being vested is better than waiting for a crash.

Go ahead and dip your toes in, even if you lose, you learn and pick up valuable skills and the right mentality for investing, eventually formulating your own style, be it trading or investing.

As for specific counter, it's difficult to recommend any. No one wanna takes the blame for a wrong recommendation and even experts fail spectacularly like Warren Buffett did on Berkshire Hathaway when he bought it and held on.

STI ETF might be a good starting ground, just DCA your funds in as slowly and as comfortable as you like.
 

ahlee83

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2007
Messages
628
Reaction score
2
One advise that I still remember today from a bank trader is, the difference between a lousy trader and a good trader is the ability to cut loss.

Cannot be emotional when dealing with investments.

If you make loss of a certain percentage, bite the bullet and sell off. Incur the loss and use the money to reinvest. Slowly slowly you can earn back.

Dun hold on because you hold many years already or think it will go back up.

Eg. Blackberry. Motorola. Nokia. Yahoo. Sony.
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2015
Messages
154
Reaction score
16
As a fellow beginner I understand where you are at now. I was lucky I managed to jump the wagon for my first stock (Keppel Corp) when it crashed.

My advice is to look around first. See what other people are doing. Take note of the stocks you are interested in. Look around you, what are the stores you prefer to visit or brands you really like. You might want to look at what stocks other people are interested in at first.

Read. And from from multiple sources and read a lot. You will slowly learn new, scary and exciting terms like FA, TA, candlestick and many many more (like I said, SCARY!!). Don't forget to read the news. News like oil price drop will alter the stock market quite a bit.

You should also open a trading account first (Standard Chartered should be what you are looking for). Then research and do your homework before you start to trade. But open it up first so you won't have to wait too long should you decide to start trading. Start with something safe. Maybe some blue chips or ETFs (read the Shiny Things thread if you are looking to get ETFs. Very, VERY informative).

You will soon find ways to find possible good stocks. I personally avoid stocks that are in their 52-week high (it is stated there on any stock charts like yahoo finance). I find them too risky. Well, other than ETFs (again, read the Shiny Things thread for more information on ETFs).

There is a thread with the stocks fellow HWZ-ers are invested in. Maybe you should check that out to get some stocks to research / look out for.

Good luck! :D
 

finalforce

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
518
Reaction score
11
Sorry to hijack, but how to open with scb? I have to do the review thing and I don't qualify for either of the 3

Sent from HTC One_M8 using GAGT
 

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
9,605
Reaction score
854
Sorry to hijack, but how to open with scb? I have to do the review thing and I don't qualify for either of the 3

Just tell them you've done six trades. They don't check.

Also, I'll say it, this is the one thing that drives me UP THE WALL about Stanchart. It would be ridiculously easy for them to mark shares as "SIP-covered" or "No questionnaire required" and restrict new accounts to shares that don't need the SIP. Instead, they just apply the SIP questionnaire to everyone and they're losing a bunch of potential new accounts and AUM. That's just bad design.
 

Dyhalt

Senior Member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
1,297
Reaction score
2
For beginners I always recommend keeping at least 50% in cash, in case the investment went not as expected.

As for what shares to buy, Telcos are defensive stocks with stable payout. Also you can consider index funds like STI-ETF. Only invest in REITs or other business funds if you know their business structure.

Also to avoid :
1. Highly leveraged (in debt) companies
2. Companies with negative cashflows from main business
3. Companies with less than 5 years of good records of growth & profits.
 

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
84,170
Reaction score
10,088
Sorry to hijack, but how to open with scb? I have to do the review thing and I don't qualify for either of the 3

Sent from HTC One_M8 using GAGT

the scb thread would be useful for you.
Lots of people smoke through the 3 criteria.
I didn't, I made 6 trades and just open, but those 6 trades ain't really SIP products anyway.
 

Bryanmax

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I've just started playing around with them too but not with real cash. I downloaded a application on my android phone called "Stock Trainer". In Play-store I think it is called "Stock Trainer: Virtual Trading" by A-Life Software, Inc.

They give you a starting virtual amount for $15,000. Can buy Singapore stocks and they track real time. The thing is that maybe 1/10 stocks you find in SGX or ShareInvestor might not be able to display there. But overall not bad to play with just for fun, lose liao can just restart :s13:

Just a bit inaccurate cause your stock cannot alter anything.
 

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
84,170
Reaction score
10,088
I've just started playing around with them too but not with real cash. I downloaded a application on my android phone called "Stock Trainer". In Play-store I think it is called "Stock Trainer: Virtual Trading" by A-Life Software, Inc.

They give you a starting virtual amount for $15,000. Can buy Singapore stocks and they track real time. The thing is that maybe 1/10 stocks you find in SGX or ShareInvestor might not be able to display there. But overall not bad to play with just for fun, lose liao can just restart :s13:

Just a bit inaccurate cause your stock cannot alter anything.

Just do note, paper trading is vastly different from actual experience where your $$ is on the line. But practise placing orders and getting familiar with the overall structure should be fine.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top