Skyline34_
Master Member
- Joined
- Mar 4, 2005
- Messages
- 2,750
- Reaction score
- 1
I bought the mx500 1TB 2.5inch during the BF sale and thought it would be just a quick swap with the existing regular HDD (secondary disk, non-OS) in the inspiron laptop but turns out it wasn't as straightforward as I thought it'd be.
So what I had to do was force safe boot with the following steps
run Command prompt as Admin and enter:
bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
restart the laptop and hit F2 when you see the DELL logo to enter bios
navigate to System Configuration > SATA Operation > AHCI
click Apply and then Exit
To get back to normal mode, after Windows boots in safe mode, run Command prompt as Admin again and enter:
bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
After normal booting into windows, launch Disk Management and it should now detect the SSD. Select GPT for formatting and viola, the new SSD will be ready within seconds
credit: the forced safe boot steps were found here - https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5xvrvi/howto_95605520_toshiba_ssd_optimizing_performance/
I have no technical know-how why the above was necessary to make it work but hopefully it'd be helpful for other inspiron owners as well down the road
So what I had to do was force safe boot with the following steps
run Command prompt as Admin and enter:
bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
restart the laptop and hit F2 when you see the DELL logo to enter bios
navigate to System Configuration > SATA Operation > AHCI
click Apply and then Exit
To get back to normal mode, after Windows boots in safe mode, run Command prompt as Admin again and enter:
bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
After normal booting into windows, launch Disk Management and it should now detect the SSD. Select GPT for formatting and viola, the new SSD will be ready within seconds
credit: the forced safe boot steps were found here - https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5xvrvi/howto_95605520_toshiba_ssd_optimizing_performance/
I have no technical know-how why the above was necessary to make it work but hopefully it'd be helpful for other inspiron owners as well down the road
