Should buy Sony RX100m2 ?

kawatsu

Master Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
2,766
Reaction score
1
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a compact camera to replace my LX3 (It took a while to spoil) and my budget is about $650.

I need the camera to have fast shutter speed to take photos of babies/pets and weigh below 300g.

Not sure if I should buy the Sony RX100m2 at about $650 but the model is quite old already.

Hope the pros here can advise!

Thank you in advance. :s12:
 

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
65,430
Reaction score
7,519
can consider to stretch your budget a bit by getting the Canon G7X Mark II. should be able to get slightly below $700.
 

EJB

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
May 24, 2001
Messages
53,142
Reaction score
9,571
A camera is a camera.

As long as it fulfill your needs, is it really necessary to worry if it is old? :)

If it is still sold by Sony, after newer models like MK3,4,5 is out, doesn't it tell something about the product life line? :)
 

kawatsu

Master Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
2,766
Reaction score
1
can consider to stretch your budget a bit by getting the Canon G7X Mark II. should be able to get slightly below $700.

Thanks!
It sure looks good but the weight is a no for me since it exceeds 300g.
I hoping to be able to find one thats about 250g range as I travel often with a heavy load and carrying a light weight camera is quite important for me.
 

kawatsu

Master Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
2,766
Reaction score
1
A camera is a camera.

As long as it fulfill your needs, is it really necessary to worry if it is old? :)

If it is still sold by Sony, after newer models like MK3,4,5 is out, doesn't it tell something about the product life line? :)

That's true!
I probably wait for the M3 when price lower since the 5 is out.

Do let me know if there's any recommendations other than Sony!
 

kawatsu

Master Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
2,766
Reaction score
1
Anyone have problems with colors for SONY RX100M3?

I just went to the store to have a feel of both cameras and very much prefer the Canon G7X Mark 2.

And when i compared side by side, the LCD screen for SONY, is so much duller then the Canon.

The salesguy said that SONY color is always much duller than Canon, and the White Balance is off for Sony.

Is that true? I shouldn't based on LCD screen but the difference is really huge in terms of brightness and "whiteness".
 

MasK

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,772
Reaction score
243
Not sure about the LCD (don't think it's as important as the images/videos that comes out of it..) but I've watched alot of comparisons between G7XII and RX100M4 and each time the G7XII videos turn out to be better and brighter in low light. You can check them out yourself.
Audio on the other hand is better with the RX100 and it's a bit muffled on the G7XII.

Between these comparisons, I feel that these are the only reasons to go for the Sony:
-Viewfinder
-4K recording
-Better audio
-Slow motion recording

Other than that, I think G7XII is a better buy, going for $690 at the cheapest *I think*
 

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
65,430
Reaction score
7,519
The feel and built quality on Canon G7X Mark 2 is definitely better, metal vs plastic. The slightly longer zoom range is also an advantage. And made in Jap as well.

Performance wise, most reviews are leaning towards Sony RX100 series. personally, feel that it's a good camera but not worth for the price.
 

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
11,714
Reaction score
210
I'm using the RX100 (1st gen) on days when I lazy to bring out my A6000. It's still a good Camera.

Very compact and reasonably good IQ.
 

a562140

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
6,412
Reaction score
3
selling my rx100 mk 2 and mk 4 if anyone is interested. make me a reasonable offer.
 

Crexzz

Master Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
3,235
Reaction score
18
or maybe, nikon DL24-85 will be available by christmas. It'll be another alternative for consideration..

Slightly bigger in size with no inbuilt lens cover but with phase detection AF at that price point ..hmmm
 

holoski

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2015
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
I have an RX IV plus case for within budget. If interested.
Am I allowed to mention price ? Apparently not, do deleted lol.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top