Should I change to MITX now?

xuan87

Senior Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,373
Reaction score
2
My current rig is on the right.

My long term plan is to change to a Skylake/Kaby lake or Zen setup with multi core and hyperthreading, and stay with that rig for the next 5 years. I want to do it with a mitx rig, first year air cooled, second or third year onwards I'll do a custom water cooling loop set up. Want to be fully prepared for DX12 gaming.

But if I want to get my CPU with a discount, I'm potentially looking at a 1-1.5 year wait, given that Zen will only be announced in Q1 2017.

My i5 2500 should still be good for the entire next year, so I'm just thinking of getting a 1155 mitx motherboard, then recycling the majority of my parts over to the new board and new case.

Anyone knows if this is a good or bad idea, and if it's even still possible to get a 1155 mitx board?
 

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2010
Messages
35,380
Reaction score
402
Nope, almost impossible to find LGA1155 ITX motherboard right now. Rather you hold your horse and change to AMD Zen/Intel Kaby Lake + Nvidia Pascal/AMD Polaris/Vega ITX system. You should also see wide variety of ITX graphics cards.
 

harharhar

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2007
Messages
1,165
Reaction score
0
Very hard to get 1155 mitx locally. I was searching for those. In the end bought 2 pieces from taobao. So far so good.
 

klap_hanz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2006
Messages
12,664
Reaction score
237
Enter this search term below on taobao :

1155针迷你小主板

Use ezBuy to buy for u from Taobao if u jiak kantang one...
 
Last edited:

xuan87

Senior Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,373
Reaction score
2
Enter this search term below on taobao :

1155针迷你小主板

Use ezBuy to buy for u from Taobao if u jiak kantang one...

Very hard to get 1155 mitx locally. I was searching for those. In the end bought 2 pieces from taobao. So far so good.

Nope, almost impossible to find LGA1155 ITX motherboard right now. Rather you hold your horse and change to AMD Zen/Intel Kaby Lake + Nvidia Pascal/AMD Polaris/Vega ITX system. You should also see wide variety of ITX graphics cards.

Like to thank all bros here for their feedback.

I'll be likely moving to Kaby or Zen in Q3-Q4 2017 (I always buy new CPU/GPU 6 months after they are released), but I think for the moment I'll move to MITX first, since I can "sell"/pass on my current rig to my gf who is looking to upgrade from her pre-built system.

Since her pre-built comes with an i5-2400, I will pass my casing, motherboard with ram, spare power supply, and she can reuse her CPU and HDD. I'll probably recommend her either the RX480 or GTX 1060 for her graphic work and light gaming.

For me, I'll have to get a MITX motherboard from taobao (saw some good options last night), a new set of ram, Fractal Design Nano S case, and I should be able to reuse the CPU, GPU, PSU and SSD+HDDs.
 

harharhar

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2007
Messages
1,165
Reaction score
0
Sounds a bit like my situation. I passed on my old Ivy Bridge desktop to my gf, and didn't want to spend too much on it (1155 matx mb died).

Though a side note on the motherboards from taobao. They should be working. But they are usually refurbished / second-hand even though they state as new. So you should get in touch with the seller directly (through the chat function) to verify the condition, the package (what accessories does it come with?) like rear I/O plate and wifi antenna, .etc. So far I have bought 3 (for gf, brother and friend) all working ok. GA-H77 ITX and Asus Z77 itx

Shipping should be ok as they will over-pack and wrap in many many bubble wrap and boxes, especially if they know this is going overseas.

Good luck!
 

xuan87

Senior Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,373
Reaction score
2
Sounds a bit like my situation. I passed on my old Ivy Bridge desktop to my gf, and didn't want to spend too much on it (1155 matx mb died).

Though a side note on the motherboards from taobao. They should be working. But they are usually refurbished / second-hand even though they state as new. So you should get in touch with the seller directly (through the chat function) to verify the condition, the package (what accessories does it come with?) like rear I/O plate and wifi antenna, .etc. So far I have bought 3 (for gf, brother and friend) all working ok. GA-H77 ITX and Asus Z77 itx

Shipping should be ok as they will over-pack and wrap in many many bubble wrap and boxes, especially if they know this is going overseas.

Good luck!

Thanks bro! Yea, I noticed this that when I was reading in the description, some stated that the motherboards are not brand new/used etc.
 

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,200
Reaction score
3,677
well at least u can upgrade ur system and change what ever parts u want on a itx pc. it can be portable, just that it will required a monitor, power points and mouse & KB to bring along. but if u just cant go for itx due to time and research, just buy a gaming laptop. =:p
A proper setup excluding keyboard, mouse n monitor, will roughly cost how much?

I already have ssd, and also don't need optical drive. On-board graphics and i5 cpu are fine. Usage is for streaming full hd, n possibly playback 4k videos to tv via hdmi.

Sent from LGE LG-D802 using GAGT
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
A proper setup excluding keyboard, mouse n monitor, will roughly cost how much?

I already have ssd, and also don't need optical drive. On-board graphics and i5 cpu are fine. Usage is for streaming full hd, n possibly playback 4k videos to tv via hdmi.

Sent from LGE LG-D802 using GAGT

For your case, u are better off with a Intel nuc. Its much cheaper and the smallest build might be to your liking as well.

Beside that there are a like of NUC as well that might be able to fit your needs.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top