Should I upgrade my processor or graphic card?

Digitalised

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, currently I am in a dilemma on deciding whether to upgrade my processor or graphic card.

My current processor is i5 2400 while my graphic card is 280x. Do you guys think that if I upgrade to a 1070, would my cpu bottleneck the performance?
 

Digitalised

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Crimson_FURY

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,697
Reaction score
7
Those games are not CPU intensive enough to warrant upgrading the CPU over the GPU...unless your CPU is like 10 years old, buy the GPU. The bottleneck, if any, would just be a few frames and you'd never notice
 

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
13,123
Reaction score
2,065
when you finally upgrade cpu, you can bring over your gpu to the new mb+cpu... so upgrade gpu first
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
I upgraded from a 2400 to a 6600k recently out of necessity (mobo issue) and did not notice a difference in speed. If you look at benchmarks I think the 6600 is only about 30 percent faster than the 2400. Should not be big enough to cause a significant bottleneck. If you are using a Z series mobo can try overclocking to 3.4ghz if you want to get the most out of the cpu
 

Vodkilla

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2009
Messages
1,884
Reaction score
129
depends on the game, for WoW (CPU intensive) there was no increase in fps when i went frm 970 to 1070 :(
 

GrimaH

Master Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2007
Messages
2,901
Reaction score
49
What monitor are you using, and what games are you looking to play?
 

Digitalised

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Thanks everyone for your advice, looks like upgrading my gpu is the way to go.

What monitor are you using, and what games are you looking to play?

Currently I am using Asus MX239H, though the monitor has been acting weirdly so I might have to change it soon. Recently, I have only been playing Overwatch on my PC but am hoping to upgrade my gpu to play the upcoming AAA titles.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top