Shrinking & Beautifying Your Smallish mITX DIY Rig?

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
33,617
Reaction score
4
Just went Slow Lazy Sunday shopping in a bid to do the above... think both AMD & Intel really want to push us on with smaller and smaller rigs over time.







Both the HSF seen above and the stock Intel HSF fits easily into this 7l case easily but looks like lots more adventures ahead cos the already thin HSF is unbelievably still too thick for the 2nd even tinier 1.4l case. :angel:
 

devilwahaha

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
0
Just went Slow Lazy Sunday shopping in a bid to do the above... think both AMD & Intel really want to push us on with smaller and smaller rigs over time.







Both the HSF seen above and the stock Intel HSF fits easily into this 7l case easily but looks like lots more adventures ahead cos the already thin HSF is unbelievably still too thick for the 2nd even tinier 1.4l case. :angel:
Why not just stick with Intel HSF for this setup? Its taller than the custom HSF?
 
Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I did the reverse. From an ITX case, I went back to a fat shoe box MATX case. I find ITX case too small and needs a lot of time to route those cables. Once the molex cable got stuck between the CPU heatsink and I was wondering why the CPU temp is so high then I recheck. :s13: Also, its very difficult for me to change components cause of the cram interior.

Of course the end result looks satisfyingly compact. :)
 

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2002
Messages
14,844
Reaction score
2,399
I for one has so far remain with ATX. Small builts just don't cut it for me.
 

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
33,617
Reaction score
4
Why not just stick with Intel HSF for this setup? Its taller than the custom HSF?
Long story ahead... :D

Installs stock Intel HSF - nope, won't fit into 1.4l case
Targets SLS for hit and run mission - grab$ $tuff incl. shortest HSF that PCT stocks
Removes Intel HSF, holds breath, crosses fingers and toes
Installs new HSF - er nope, still won't fit into 1.4l case
Hmm, maybe ran fanless so remove fan - er nope, still won't fit into 1.4l case
Insert a few curses and swear words (j/k lah)... hmm, needs an even shorter HSF
Insert a few wait states, mental calculation of patience level, force installs Enduring Patience v10 bugfix patch... decides to tong for incoming backup reinforcement (hopefully soon)
Meanwhile changes to 7l case... insta-relief & full steam ahead to test Thin mITX mobo with 7l test rig instead!




Interesting case design with potential for a horizontal video slot, note also that the I/O ports only occupy the lower half of the I/O plate? Cos it is actually a Thin mITX mobo!



The power source...




Change back to Intel HSF again? Definitely soon but meanwhile, I want to see how good/noisy this new HSF can be. :)
 

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2008
Messages
45,265
Reaction score
740
Should be low enough for you

I use it for Silverstone Thin-ITX builds

Silverstone Argon AR04 Ultra Low Profile CPU Cooler

ar04-34.jpg




Mac GorGor..

U using Asrock H81TM board or Asus Q87T board?
I still can't decide which board to use for my Audio Rig
 
Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Not sure about low profile 3rd party coolers to be honest. I tried once back then and I thought its not worth the extra money over the stock heatsink which is already thin. It runs just as hot as the stock cooler both at idle and load even with the heatpipes. :o
 

devilwahaha

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
0
Not sure about low profile 3rd party coolers to be honest. I tried once back then and I thought its not worth the extra money over the stock heatsink which is already thin. It runs just as hot as the stock cooler both at idle and load even with the heatpipes. :o

Probably just for niche cases like this its justified, when even Intel stock heatsink is too tall :eek:
 

Godeau

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
16,002
Reaction score
6,514



Both the HSF seen above and the stock Intel HSF fits easily into this 7l case easily but looks like lots more adventures ahead cos the already thin HSF is unbelievably still too thick for the 2nd even tinier 1.4l case. :angel:

Interesting. noticed that you are using a Praeton,
Is this case able to fit in the Scythe big shuriken 2 rev B? Should be able to clear the height at just 58mm but not sure about the other dimensions since it's very wide

scythe_big-shuriken-2-revision-b_install-3.jpg
 
Last edited:

-Zeora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Messages
12,518
Reaction score
115
Mini itx seems too small and not very viable. Atx too big so i find mATX suits my need. Not very small but just nice
 

coyote

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
85,430
Reaction score
28,654
Mini itx seems too small and not very viable. Atx too big so i find mATX suits my need. Not very small but just nice

Sorta agree with you. mATX is much more easier when changing components etc. ITX looks nicer but recently had couple of issues and changing components and trying to get through the mess of cables is really getting to my nerves... I have 3 hdds, a hotswap rack and 2 pci slots graphic card literally filled up all the space I have in the CM Elite 120 ITX chassis. That's why thinking of trying those custom chassis that fits only a celeron and space for just a single 2.5"... That chassis is fanless.
 

devilwahaha

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
0
Mini itx seems too small and not very viable. Atx too big so i find mATX suits my need. Not very small but just nice

Sorta agree with you. mATX is much more easier when changing components etc. ITX looks nicer but recently had couple of issues and changing components and trying to get through the mess of cables is really getting to my nerves... I have 3 hdds, a hotswap rack and 2 pci slots graphic card literally filled up all the space I have in the CM Elite 120 ITX chassis. That's why thinking of trying those custom chassis that fits only a celeron and space for just a single 2.5"... That chassis is fanless.

I think its really more of choice of case than form factor that affects accessibility.
 

rickysio

Master Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
3,203
Reaction score
0
Yes, small compact enthusiast level mATX cases exist. Silverstone makes a series of them like TJ08/PS07 (they're the same underlying chassis, except you choose between a 180mm (TJ08) or 2 120mm (PS07)).

Of course, without gpu expansion etc there are even smaller mATX cases.
 

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
33,617
Reaction score
4
I think its really more of choice of case than form factor that affects accessibility.
Well said.

Anyone can possibly put mITX into the smallest cases or even the largest if you have some strange kind of small mobo cum large case fetish or affliction.

But you can't put full ATX mobos to work in the smallest cases like this one.


is there small & compact mATX casing?
Have lah, just like there are humongous mITX cases which are the same size or larger than mATX ones.

Think that's the beauty of DIY PC, the richness and vastness to pander to almost everyone's idiosyncrasies.


Silverstone ML-05 itx case?
No but really close enough. =:p


Should be low enough for you

I use it for Silverstone Thin-ITX builds

Silverstone Argon AR04 Ultra Low Profile CPU Cooler

...


Mac GorGor..

U using Asrock H81TM board or Asus Q87T board?
I still can't decide which board to use for my Audio Rig
Yup, that was precisely the backup I was waiting for and just got it today!

As for audio ah... you got to ask someone else cos I am even OK with most onboard sound these days. Thrown enough money at Creative/Philips/Turtle Beach/Yamaha in the past. =:p


Why not just stick with Intel HSF for this setup? Its taller than the custom HSF?
Like that?


IMG_1288+(Copy).JPG


IMG_1290+(Copy).JPG



Since the ultra slim AR04 HSF is now here for the 1.4l case, I swapped in another mITX mobo into the Milo SST-ML06 AV deck style case.


Small & Beautiful Enough?

IMG_1221+%2528Copy%2529.JPG



Anyone wants more photos posted here? Check my lil' blog otherwise.:)
 

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
33,617
Reaction score
4
tester88 said:
MacClipper what part are you using for this build?
Currently, I am still testing out the various combinations but for the photos taken, I was using these... you can click on some of the photos for more info.


PenK G3258
on stock Intel HSF, option to run stock, 4GHz@1.10V (mostly) or up to 4.5GHz@1.285V





Team Elite 1600
the only 2 x 2GB pair of spare RAM I can find for now, the clon22 edition from years ago

IMG_1295+(Copy).JPG




Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W Gold
Full Modular SFX PSU





Asrock Z87E-ITX
Has 6 SATA ports matching exactly the 6 SATA bays for 2.5" devices on the Milo ML06!





Silverstone Milo SST-ML06 mITX Case








HTH
 

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
33,617
Reaction score
4
The present Milo ML06 test build is geared towards aesthetics and compactness esp. as a HTPC rig.


Sizing Up
In real life with a classic Ol' Blue Eyes album ...

IMG_1370+(Copy).JPG



The mITX form factor is now very well provided for by many manufacturers so you can go hog wild with any imaginable type of rig that you desire. :)
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top