Sian, is my SSD dying?

kyang69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 29, 2019
Messages
11,452
Reaction score
9,064
Yesterday, I went home after work planning to relax and play some games. However, when I powered on my PC, it repeatedly booted into UEFI mode.

In the UEFI menu, I encountered a message stating "no bootable device found."

Using a bootable thumb drive, I accessed my SanDisk SSD (C drive) and was able to copy and move files. Hard disk diagnostics indicated the SSD was in good working condition, but it could not be detected in UEFI. Additionally, attempts to install Windows 10 on the SanDisk SSD were unsuccessful, as the SSD was not detected.

Fortunately, I had a spare Samsung EVO 870 SSD, the predecessor to the SanDisk SSD. I was able to install Windows 10 and boot from it.

From this experience, I learned that SSDs can become corrupted. The data on the Samsung EVO 870 remained intact after switching to the SanDisk SSD. However, after three years, when the SanDisk SSD failed, I could no longer boot from it and had to reinstall Windows 10.

My question is whether the SanDisk SSD is in danger of 'dying'?
 

tsteo77

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2011
Messages
1,543
Reaction score
216
Yesterday, I went home after work planning to relax and play some games. However, when I powered on my PC, it repeatedly booted into UEFI mode.

In the UEFI menu, I encountered a message stating "no bootable device found."

Using a bootable thumb drive, I accessed my SanDisk SSD (C drive) and was able to copy and move files. Hard disk diagnostics indicated the SSD was in good working condition, but it could not be detected in UEFI. Additionally, attempts to install Windows 10 on the SanDisk SSD were unsuccessful, as the SSD was not detected.

Fortunately, I had a spare Samsung EVO 870 SSD, the predecessor to the SanDisk SSD. I was able to install Windows 10 and boot from it.

From this experience, I learned that SSDs can become corrupted. The data on the Samsung EVO 870 remained intact after switching to the SanDisk SSD. However, after three years, when the SanDisk SSD failed, I could no longer boot from it and had to reinstall Windows 10.

My question is whether the SanDisk SSD is in danger of 'dying'?
Hmm...i too had similar issue as yours. It was a transcend ssd and i had to buy a new ssd to replace.
Later when all my hardware/sofware were re-setup/re-download properly. This transcend ssd become fine. I guess it's due to unknown errors caused by poor hardware/software setup.
 

kyang69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 29, 2019
Messages
11,452
Reaction score
9,064
Hmm...i too had similar issue as yours. It was a transcend ssd and i had to buy a new ssd to replace.
Later when all my hardware/sofware were re-setup/re-download properly. This transcend ssd become fine. I guess it's due to unknown errors caused by poor hardware/software setup.
mine is a bit different, when boot up from the Windows 10 installation media, it cannot detect the SanDisk SSD, but can detect the Samsung EVO.
 

tsteo77

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2011
Messages
1,543
Reaction score
216
mine is a bit different, when boot up from the Windows 10 installation media, it cannot detect the SanDisk SSD, but can detect the Samsung EVO.
It's similar, not able to boot into windows and windows installation media. This issue is weird to me.
Currently it running fine with 90% health, since 2019 after a 6 months break.
 

caesium2108

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2011
Messages
704
Reaction score
147
just curious, if my pc only runs on 1 ssd and no hdd. What is the best solution to make sure i do not lose files if my ssd becomes corrupted? TIA
 

Orcmors

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2006
Messages
26
Reaction score
4
Have you formatted the SSD yet? If you can see it on your bootable usb, I assume you can also see it in your newly installed windows right? You just can't install windows to it?
 

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
22,624
Reaction score
899
Yes wad u described is exactly symptom of ssd failing.

I had an aftershock branded ssd who exhibited same symptom after playing many hours of fallout 76. Cannot detect ssd until it had cooled down, and even so - continued to bsod while logging into windows until it cooled to a certain temperature.

Once I resumed fallout 76, the same thing stated all over again when ssd temp hit a certain point.

If u still can access that ssd now, quickly backup your documents and impt files elsewhere. I attempted to use acronis true image to clone my failing ssd (as it was my OS drive) but halfway the ssd finally died for good :(
 

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
28,960
Reaction score
2,569
Yesterday, I went home after work planning to relax and play some games. However, when I powered on my PC, it repeatedly booted into UEFI mode.

In the UEFI menu, I encountered a message stating "no bootable device found."

Using a bootable thumb drive, I accessed my SanDisk SSD (C drive) and was able to copy and move files. Hard disk diagnostics indicated the SSD was in good working condition, but it could not be detected in UEFI. Additionally, attempts to install Windows 10 on the SanDisk SSD were unsuccessful, as the SSD was not detected.

Fortunately, I had a spare Samsung EVO 870 SSD, the predecessor to the SanDisk SSD. I was able to install Windows 10 and boot from it.

From this experience, I learned that SSDs can become corrupted. The data on the Samsung EVO 870 remained intact after switching to the SanDisk SSD. However, after three years, when the SanDisk SSD failed, I could no longer boot from it and had to reinstall Windows 10.

My question is whether the SanDisk SSD is in danger of 'dying'?
Sandisk SSD is extremely unreliable.

i have bought a couple of my customers due to budget constrain.. they just died without any warning. all dead within 2-3yrs.
 

kyang69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 29, 2019
Messages
11,452
Reaction score
9,064
Sandisk SSD is extremely unreliable.

i have bought a couple of my customers due to budget constrain.. they just died without any warning. all dead within 2-3yrs.
Thanks for the sharing, I will avoid Sandisk SSD from now on.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top