Sign on occifer

Strawbelly

Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2019
Messages
114
Reaction score
0
Hey all I'm currently in the final year of my uni (local uni) studying engineering. I was thinking of signing on as rsaf occifer after I graduate. Always wanted to sign on during my JC days but sibei immature and dk how be leader so BMT jiak sai end up become man then ORD as CPL. I was wondering if anyone has heard of recent cases or know of anyone who last time NS serve as CPL but manage to sign on as occifer. In uni I joined committees etc. then got a taste of what it means to lead projects and teams for various purposes like FOC and CIP so even though not related to military stuff, I still wanna try again if possible.

I also considering AFE but leaning towards AWO(C3) cus of previous experience in rsaf as man then like xiao interested in the air battle management stuff also cus I like planes. I worked in different industries during uni (professional engineering, banking, and engineering research) but not rlly my cup of tea tbh. Any advice or just wanna zham me for being stupid pls feel free :s12:
 

Strawbelly

Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2019
Messages
114
Reaction score
0
Just apply try lor. Tbh, very hard since u are a man last time. Try ME schme maybe?

Yeah I already sent in the application form but so far no replies and rather doubtful about my chances. Have heard of people signing on as officers even though they were men last time but they were from CDO/NDU kind so abit xiao special compared to the rest of us bread and butter soldiers. Called the recruitment centre to check about the possible preclusion due to my rank but they gave the very standard pc response of "As long as you have uni degree etc etc. you will be considered" but wanna ask the people on the forums if they know of anyone who managed to sign on as a combat officer even though they were CPL last time (non-elite unit) at least for some proper closure.

I did consider ME scheme but the jobscope wise albeit interesting, is not what I hope to do at least for a prolonged career.
 

pikafunk3

Banned
Joined
Apr 28, 2013
Messages
37,828
Reaction score
4,639
Hey all I'm currently in the final year of my uni (local uni) studying engineering. I was thinking of signing on as rsaf occifer after I graduate. Always wanted to sign on during my JC days but sibei immature and dk how be leader so BMT jiak sai end up become man then ORD as CPL. I was wondering if anyone has heard of recent cases or know of anyone who last time NS serve as CPL but manage to sign on as occifer. In uni I joined committees etc. then got a taste of what it means to lead projects and teams for various purposes like FOC and CIP so even though not related to military stuff, I still wanna try again if possible.

I also considering AFE but leaning towards AWO(C3) cus of previous experience in rsaf as man then like xiao interested in the air battle management stuff also cus I like planes. I worked in different industries during uni (professional engineering, banking, and engineering research) but not rlly my cup of tea tbh. Any advice or just wanna zham me for being stupid pls feel free :s12:

some leadership experience will actually help, but please bear in mind that being an officer does not necessarily mean it is all about asking lower ranks to do things. i have seen officers running around doing paperwork, working on computer, doing menial tasks for majors and above.... etc. it all depends on which part of the organisation you are in.

you like aeroplanes, but whether you will be deployed in that specific area is a very hard thing to guarantee.

i guess you just have to try your luck.
 

Strawbelly

Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2019
Messages
114
Reaction score
0
some leadership experience will actually help, but please bear in mind that being an officer does not necessarily mean it is all about asking lower ranks to do things. i have seen officers running around doing paperwork, working on computer, doing menial tasks for majors and above.... etc. it all depends on which part of the organisation you are in.

you like aeroplanes, but whether you will be deployed in that specific area is a very hard thing to guarantee.

i guess you just have to try your luck.

In retrospect that was probably one of the key reasons why I wasn't selected to attend command school. I used to have this very warped perception that officers mainly just give commands and lead the people they are incharged of but after going through the diff appointments held in uni (as cliche as it sounds), really helps with perspective about what it means to be a leader that it is very collaborative rather than demanding including the doing saikang for higher ups so work can flow. If can get AWO tbh idm which training I get streamlined into ah so not an issue is just whether I like it more than the other jobscope or not.
 

pikafunk3

Banned
Joined
Apr 28, 2013
Messages
37,828
Reaction score
4,639
In retrospect that was probably one of the key reasons why I wasn't selected to attend command school. I used to have this very warped perception that officers mainly just give commands and lead the people they are incharged of but after going through the diff appointments held in uni (as cliche as it sounds), really helps with perspective about what it means to be a leader that it is very collaborative rather than demanding including the doing saikang for higher ups so work can flow. If can get AWO tbh idm which training I get streamlined into ah so not an issue is just whether I like it more than the other jobscope or not.

in the grand scheme of things, being a lieutenant or captain is actually not very high ranked... even colonels get tekan by higher ups, it is very common. seen it quite a few times.

i guess you just have to talk to mindef/cmpb about your specific request. if you do get it, i hope what you get is what you imagine it to be. because honestly speaking, working life is often very different from what you imagine. hopefully, we are not likely to be getting in any wars soon, so the most you can experience is simulation.
 

pikafunk3

Banned
Joined
Apr 28, 2013
Messages
37,828
Reaction score
4,639
also to add on, say if you decide on this career path, you probably have to stick to it in the long term, because this sort of work experience is unlikely to be what the local private sector is looking for. essentially you are closing many options for the future.

something for you to consider.
 

Strawbelly

Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2019
Messages
114
Reaction score
0
also to add on, say if you decide on this career path, you probably have to stick to it in the long term, because this sort of work experience is unlikely to be what the local private sector is looking for. essentially you are closing many options for the future.

something for you to consider.

That was a consideration and I still need to think it through but no harm applying first. Can always reject (if even offered lmao) if I find that it isn't something I can commit to. I did consider mdes as I mentioned previously since I thought engineering mah can translate skills to pvt sector but my senior who signed on as a ME4 in the navy said the jobscope is very different from the advertised one and does not really allow you to apply your engineering skills. While the AWO vocation at least I have friends who signed on as c3 officers and they dispelled some of the myths and misconceptions I had about the job so in a way there is a small chance of disillusionment?
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,289
Reaction score
5,867
also to add on, say if you decide on this career path, you probably have to stick to it in the long term, because this sort of work experience is unlikely to be what the local private sector is looking for. essentially you are closing many options for the future.

something for you to consider.
That was a consideration and I still need to think it through but no harm applying first. Can always reject (if even offered lmao) if I find that it isn't something I can commit to. I did consider mdes as I mentioned previously since I thought engineering mah can translate skills to pvt sector but my senior who signed on as a ME4 in the navy said the jobscope is very different from the advertised one and does not really allow you to apply your engineering skills. While the AWO vocation at least I have friends who signed on as c3 officers and they dispelled some of the myths and misconceptions I had about the job so in a way there is a small chance of disillusionment?

AWO (C3) can be ATC at Changi Airport what. Not really private private, but definitely more private than the military right...
 

pikafunk3

Banned
Joined
Apr 28, 2013
Messages
37,828
Reaction score
4,639
That was a consideration and I still need to think it through but no harm applying first. Can always reject (if even offered lmao) if I find that it isn't something I can commit to. I did consider mdes as I mentioned previously since I thought engineering mah can translate skills to pvt sector but my senior who signed on as a ME4 in the navy said the jobscope is very different from the advertised one and does not really allow you to apply your engineering skills. While the AWO vocation at least I have friends who signed on as c3 officers and they dispelled some of the myths and misconceptions I had about the job so in a way there is a small chance of disillusionment?

yes i agree.... besides being able to be labelled as a degree holder, most of what you learnt in engineering school would likely be not used
 

pikafunk3

Banned
Joined
Apr 28, 2013
Messages
37,828
Reaction score
4,639
AWO (C3) can be ATC at Changi Airport what. Not really private private, but definitely more private than the military right...

good suggestion for someone leaving military.... but if changi airport didnt choose you... then how

can jiak sai already
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,289
Reaction score
5,867
good suggestion for someone leaving military.... but if changi airport didnt choose you... then how

can jiak sai already

Oh so why suddenly got exceptions that wasn’t previously mentioned?

Like that I can also say can go any other airports in the world
 

Strawbelly

Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2019
Messages
114
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the input everyone :) I will probably head down to AFRC directly in person to apply because my friend who is a rsaf regular said they rarely respond to the application form online (if they even respond) so it is safer to apply in person so at least you know if no reply then means rejected rather than your application gone missing. Will be indicating AWO(C3) as my choice since I previously failed the medical for Pilot/WSO (doctor said I only failed for those 2 roles but eligible for the others that was back in 2012) and I'm not really interested in the other roles.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top