Singapore safety career

red_tag10

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2004
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi All,

I’m curious about Singapore safety industrial but I do not have any experience in safety line. I was thinking of studying the Bachelor of Environment Occupational Health & Safety awarded by the University of Newcastle (Australia). After obtaining this bachelor degree, how is the career path, where will I stop, pay scale wells in (marine, chemical, construction and etc) and can I proceed with any master program? Please enlighten me. Thanks
 

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
To practice in Sg, the highest you can go is Registered Safety Officer. For education wise, all you needs is a WSQ Spec Dip WSH + other Safety courses such as Confined Space Safety Assessor Course (CSSAC).


Taking a Bachelor of Environment Occupational Health & Safety is a waste of time & $.


In this line, you only needs experience + Certs (WSQ Spec Dip WSH + other Safety courses).
 

Youareme

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2010
Messages
6,611
Reaction score
874
To practice in Sg, the highest you can go is Registered Safety Officer. For education wise, all you needs is a WSQ Spec Dip WSH + other Safety courses such as Confined Space Safety Assessor Course (CSSAC).


Taking a Bachelor of Environment Occupational Health & Safety is a waste of time & $.


In this line, you only needs experience + Certs (WSQ Spec Dip WSH + other Safety courses).

TOTALLY AGREED!:s12:
And you have your friends from Bangladesh and Mynmar working as a registered safety officer earning $$$ without going through years of useless academic studies.
 

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
Whahaha =P


I will not be surprise if Bangladesh, Mynmar & other FT invited you to join their company that is offering higher salary then what you as a Singaporean are getting now from your company in Sg.


QUOTE=Youareme;51149911]TOTALLY AGREED!:s12:
And you have your friends from Bangladesh and Mynmar working as a registered safety officer earning $$$ without going through years of useless academic studies.[/QUOTE]
 

aircraft

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
599
Reaction score
0
To practice in Sg, the highest you can go is Registered Safety Officer. For education wise, all you needs is a WSQ Spec Dip WSH + other Safety courses such as Confined Space Safety Assessor Course (CSSAC).


Taking a Bachelor of Environment Occupational Health & Safety is a waste of time & $.


In this line, you only needs experience + Certs (WSQ Spec Dip WSH + other Safety courses).

Hi bro, not true lah. Highest professional certification is wsh auditor. A relevant degree with experience will let u have a chance to go for managerial positions in big companies.
 

micrometer12

Junior Member
Joined
May 12, 2009
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Hi bro, not true lah. Highest professional certification is wsh auditor. A relevant degree with experience will let u have a chance to go for managerial positions in big companies.

Best to ask the experts in the field. University of Newcastle is having an information session on this course at PSB Academy on 17th Feb. Should check out their website.
 

aircraft

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
599
Reaction score
0
I've done plenty of research on this course before I went for sdwsh in ngee Ann and now a registered wsho. Con is tat its not easy n energy, time consuming. So I'm still looking for a suitable degree course, but this will always in my consideration.
 

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
To be a Manager(HOD) in big companies depend on opening post.

Hi bro, not true lah. Highest professional certification is wsh auditor. A relevant degree with experience will let u have a chance to go for managerial positions in big companies.
 

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
For degree, why not look for management, accounting & etc in order to work in other field when you are tired or being kick out of this industry?

For other certs, you can try SCDF FSM course & FSM or FM industry?


I've done plenty of research on this course before I went for sdwsh in ngee Ann and now a registered wsho. Con is tat its not easy n energy, time consuming. So I'm still looking for a suitable degree course, but this will always in my consideration.
 

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
That why I can depend mah. one do not needs to have a relevant degree with experience to become a manager in safety inductry.

Any degree (must have some safety certs) with experience can also become a manager in safety inductry.

No degree (must have some safety certs) with experience can also become a manager in safety inductry.

Tats why I say have a chance mah, any job position also need opening wat.
 

Gummy Bear

Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2011
Messages
172
Reaction score
0
I went to the check on the courses wow.. its hell lot of different names.. Can anyone arrange and tell me which course I should go first if I only have N level?
 

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
WDA Spec Dip in WSH.

However with a GCE N, you may needs to start from WDA Cert in WSH first.


I went to the check on the courses wow.. its hell lot of different names.. Can anyone arrange and tell me which course I should go first if I only have N level?
 

simon_84

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
11,230
Reaction score
1,234
i have a poly friend studying "human factors in safety" in unisim...guess he really want to be a safety officer in the near future.
 

Gummy Bear

Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2011
Messages
172
Reaction score
0
WDA Spec Dip in WSH.

However with a GCE N, you may needs to start from WDA Cert in WSH first.

Hey Thanks bro.

So which school is better? SP? Also how much can I expect to take home being just a Safety coordinator? I plan to go further up to Management level so how much difference? =)
 
Last edited:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
Give you free job lobang & course.

WDA

As a Safety related position like Safety coordinator, one must have the skill to use PC & source for safety legislation/guidelines online on their own.

But this time round I will spoon feed you & the salary is about $2K+.

What is you mean by 'how much difference'? In term of salary, job scope or etc?


Hey Thanks bro.

So which school is better? SP? Also how much can I expect to take home being just a Safety coordinator? I plan to go further up to Management level so how much difference? =)
 

Gummy Bear

Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2011
Messages
172
Reaction score
0
Give you free job lobang & course.

WDA

As a Safety related position like Safety coordinator, one must have the skill to use PC & source for safety legislation/guidelines online on their own.

But this time round I will spoon feed you & the salary is about $2K+.

What is you mean by 'how much difference'? In term of salary, job scope or etc?

In term of both the salary and their job scope.. I heard someone who is a safety officer is earning around 5 to 7k. So I believe that person must be in the management level.
 
Last edited:

aircraft

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
599
Reaction score
0
In term of both the salary and their job scope.. I heard someone who is a safety officer is earning around 5 to 7k. So I believe that person must be in the management level.

No lah,why earn 5-7k must be at mgt level.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top