Singtel FINEST 0.057gb data use = $294

  • Have you been Scammed?
    Follow this advisory from National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) or call ScamShield Helpline 1799. More info

Forseti

Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2003
Messages
313
Reaction score
25
G 3G Classic 100 (InTouch Rewards 50%) 17 Mar 2015 to 16 Apr 2015 20.00
G Local Airtime Call Charge
Off Peak 17 Feb 2015 to 13 Mar 2015 3.1 Min(s) 0.00
Peak 17 Feb 2015 to 13 Mar 2015 59.4 Min(s) 0.00
G Local MMS (M1/StarHub) 10 Mar 2015 to 12 Mar 2015 2 Messages 1.10
G Local SMS 19 Feb 2015 to 12 Mar 2015 10 Messages 0.00
G Local Mobile Data/GPRS Data 20 Feb 2015 to 12 Mar 2015 57.5195 MB 294.50
(Note: Dial *3282 (*DATA) to check your unbilled data usages.)


Copied from my singtel bill

Using the old Classic plan (remember?), but have 3G capability.
Phone plan was for my 83 year old dad, who makes the occassional calls and no data surfing. He got a new smart phone, which somehow sent data, all 57mb of it.

Bill shock?

Called and emailed Singtel, all the same response:
1. Upgrade to combo plan, waive charges
2. Keep plan? Waive half
3. Cancel? Pay full

Half is still $147!!!!! for what? 57 mb!!

I cannot believe Singtel is still doing this, all the customer officers say that there's NOTHING they can do. So I suppose this is cast in stone, no overturning of the exhorbitant charges.

Sigh, I've been with Singtel even before M1 come into play, prob more than 25 years and then this! Worse than those Sim Lim phone scammers.

So, what can I do?
Nothing but pay the bill and I've just been PUSHED out of the door by Singtel, which I probably won't return.
 

Habrosus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
29,150
Reaction score
13,172
I believe many of us still keep the Classic plan mainly for our parents. For mine, I've asked ST to stop GPRS service and anything that enables the use of data, after a mysterious $20 bill appeared from her non-smartphone line.

I'm considering moving that line to M1 if ever she asks for data connection. ;)
 

Forseti

Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2003
Messages
313
Reaction score
25
Yes. The classic plan was probably the last plan with loyalty pricing. It's actually very good value. Just extremely disappointing that the exorbitant charges still exist to catch the unsuspecting. I cannot and will not condone such practices
 

caterham7

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
6,124
Reaction score
1,899
I believe many of us still keep the Classic plan mainly for our parents. For mine, I've asked ST to stop GPRS service and anything that enables the use of data, after a mysterious $20 bill appeared from her non-smartphone line.

I'm considering moving that line to M1 if ever she asks for data connection. ;)

yes, good practice to bar mobile data on such plans

if data required, can consider getting a cheap dual-sim phone, then use prepaid data plan, roughly $10 for 1GB of data a month
 

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2001
Messages
17,586
Reaction score
1,689
Not defending SingTel for their exorbitant excess data usage charges but one must ask the following questions in this kind of scenario:

1) who setup the new smartphone ?
2) if intended user doesn't use data, why is data not turned off in the phone settings?
 
Last edited:

Forseti

Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2003
Messages
313
Reaction score
25
My bro bought a new xiaomi phone for my dad.
Dad stay with my bro.
I only pay the bills.
When saw the bill, too late liao
 

Habrosus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
29,150
Reaction score
13,172
Just turning off data connection via the Settings on the phone may not be enough, especially when it can accidentally be turned on while fiddling around.

I'd still go for getting the telco to disable the use of data connection altogether, then as suggested above, grab a cheap dual SIM phone and use prepaid SIM for data. If only for use to check bus schedule and the likes, $10 may even last more than a month.
 

swgj86

Master Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
3,995
Reaction score
127
Just turning off data connection via the Settings on the phone may not be enough, especially when it can accidentally be turned on while fiddling around.

I'd still go for getting the telco to disable the use of data connection altogether, then as suggested above, grab a cheap dual SIM phone and use prepaid SIM for data. If only for use to check bus schedule and the likes, $10 may even last more than a month.
yeah i agree. getting the telco to disable data usage on a particular sim card/number is the best way to go. that way, u won't get bill shocks.
 

Forseti

Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2003
Messages
313
Reaction score
25
Already disabled the data. A dual sim phone is a great idea though. Still chaffed with Singtel no matter what. I'll probably get my dad a prepaid
 

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2011
Messages
31,384
Reaction score
3,526
There should be a cap on all data plans seriously. All the talk of fair use is all nonsensical!
 

Habrosus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
29,150
Reaction score
13,172
Now that you've mentioned ... a friend was overseas when his ST line prompted him that he's already used $50 worth of data roaming charges, and suggesting that he subscribed to data roaming instead of using PPU. Accidental usage, of course...

So that's to say ST doesn't warn when it's local usage? :s11:
 

Habrosus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
29,150
Reaction score
13,172
There should be a cap on all data plans seriously. All the talk of fair use is all nonsensical!

Digi Mobile in Malaysia caps daily usage at RM8, if there's no Mobile Internet package subscribed, and they'll also send an SMS to inform.

Happened to me once when I was doing something without realizing I'd chosen the wrong line on my dual SIM phone.

Anyway, if they can do it, I don't see why we can't. Unless ... :s8:
 

tidato

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2013
Messages
1,600
Reaction score
0
Called and emailed Singtel, all the same response:
1. Upgrade to combo plan, waive charges
2. Keep plan? Waive half
3. Cancel? Pay full

Why don't you upgrade your dad's plan to combo plan and singtel will waive all charges? Since he is now using a Xiaomi phone, will be better to be on a Combo plan than the old classic plan.
 

Forseti

Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2003
Messages
313
Reaction score
25
Why don't you upgrade your dad's plan to combo plan and singtel will waive all charges? Since he is now using a Xiaomi phone, will be better to be on a Combo plan than the old classic plan.

Hi bro. I've considered that but
1. My dad is 83 , only makes occasional calls
2. Hardly SMS
3. Dunno how to surf etc
4. Already severely underused, so my continued
Usage of classic plan is already Singtel gain
5. Maybe $15 prepaid can last 3-4 months


Got warning I also won't know. The phone
With my dad haha
 

Habrosus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
29,150
Reaction score
13,172
Classic plan has Caller-ID included into the $20/month. Even if you use prepaid or VAS say 1G/month is just another $10.

A combo plan means having to pay an additional $5 for Caller-ID as well.

For a user who hardly/knows how to surf, plus the person paying the bill not being able to be there to check/control ... I'm in somewhat a similar situation. :s13:
 

xiaowhois

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2005
Messages
15,984
Reaction score
123
if your parents 100% dont use data just tell provider to disable data at their end like that will avoid additional charges
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top