SIT-UoG Aerospace Systems vs NTU EEE

syaf17

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2014
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I've been offered 2 offers from SIT and NTU. As SIT is a relatively young educational model in Singapore, I would like to ask for your opinions/advices regarding SIT's Aerospace Systems in terms of the way the modules are taught and the complexity of the course. I understand that the Math modules are the hardest according to the professors who conducted the interview and that many are struggling in this aspect. Any SIT Aero students here willing to share his/her experience?

Next is the recognition of the SIT-UoG certificate. Do aviation companies in Singapore openly recognises this certificate as stated in SIT's website? There is always this stigma that employers will favor NUS/NTU graduates more as compared to SIT's despite it being awarded by reputable overseas universities.

I have been offered NTU's Bachelor in EEE as well, but as my passion lies in Aerospace, this programme has no specialisation options relating to Aerospace for me to choose. However, the prospect of direct entry into second year appeals a lot to me as I am a polytechnic graduate. I understand that by joining NTU, I will get the full university life experience as compared to SIT which prepares me more for the working industry.

I need opinions and advices here! Appreciate your help. So, if you were in my position, having to serve NS for two years first, which would you choose? SIT or NTU, and why?

PS. I'm an SP EEE graduate.

Thanks! :)
 
Last edited:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
To be professional in Aerospace Industry in Singapore, you needs to have Aircraft Maintenance Licence (AML) or training that meet CAAS requirement.

This mean that you do not needs to have Aerospace as your major for your degree course.

Aerospace Industry have 2 trades which is Mech & Elect however Mech is still the main trade.

This mean Elect Degree will still allow you to work in Aerospace Industry.

If I am you, I will chose NTU over SIT because Tier 1 local university (NUS/NTU/SMU) degree allow me to apply for more job such as GEO1 with MOE unlike distance learning degree which will not allow me to do so. Remaining Tier 2 local universities like SIT/SUTD/UniSIM degree are currently still recognize on par with distance learning degree then NUS/NTU/SMU.


Hi,

I've been offered 2 offers from SIT and NTU. As SIT is a relatively young educational model in Singapore, I would like to ask for your opinions/advices regarding SIT's Aerospace Systems in terms of the way the modules are taught and the complexity of the course. I understand that the Math modules are the hardest according to the professors who conducted the interview and that many are struggling in this aspect. Any SIT Aero students here willing to share his/her experience?

Next is the recognition of the SIT-UoG certificate. Do aviation companies in Singapore openly recognises this certificate as stated in SIT's website? There is always this stigma that employers will favor NUS/NTU graduates more as compared to SIT's despite it being awarded by reputable overseas universities.

I have been offered NTU's Bachelor in EEE as well, but as my passion lies in Aerospace, this programme has no specialisation options relating to Aerospace for me to choose. However, the prospect of direct entry into second year appeals a lot to me as I am a polytechnic graduate. I understand that by joining NTU, I will get the full university life experience as compared to SIT which prepares me more for the working industry.

I need opinions and advices here! Appreciate your help. So, if you were in my position, having to serve NS for two years first, which would you choose? SIT or NTU, and why?

PS. I'm an SP EEE graduate.

Thanks! :)
 

TrollersRollers

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
1,344
Reaction score
1,169
There are currently no graduates from SIT-UoG aerospace courses in the industry as of now. You do not need to have an aerospace degree to work in the aerospace industries.

A general electrical or mech degree would suffice. The degree awarded by UoG is 100% recognised in singapore's aerospace industries. The indsutries have scholars now studying in SIT's aero programmes and some are RSAF's scholars.

Mathematics is always there if you are studying engineering. There are also clubs and sports that you can join in SIT. I do not know if government sectors give full recognition to this course.

But i believe if the government is willing to spend millions of dollars to set up this system, then i think there shouldn't be any problem.

Insider told me that the singapore government is the biggest sucker for this collaboration due to huge spending. Some graduates didn't even work in singapore after graduation. Some found jobs in the university's home country. Industrial visits are conducted during the overseas immersion programme.

I suggest you go NTU. SIT is still new and developing.
 

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
I believe that the cabinet did not have the intention to add in more University until our ex-president last minutes order to add in SIT & STUD before he step down. Therefore I don't think our government sectors will give full recognition to this course or Universities like SIT & STUD anytime soon.

There are currently no graduates from SIT-UoG aerospace courses in the industry as of now. You do not need to have an aerospace degree to work in the aerospace industries.

A general electrical or mech degree would suffice. The degree awarded by UoG is 100% recognised in singapore's aerospace industries. The indsutries have scholars now studying in SIT's aero programmes and some are RSAF's scholars.

Mathematics is always there if you are studying engineering. There are also clubs and sports that you can join in SIT. I do not know if government sectors give full recognition to this course.

But i believe if the government is willing to spend millions of dollars to set up this system, then i think there shouldn't be any problem.

Insider told me that the singapore government is the biggest sucker for this collaboration due to huge spending. Some graduates didn't even work in singapore after graduation. Some found jobs in the university's home country. Industrial visits are conducted during the overseas immersion programme.

I suggest you go NTU. SIT is still new and developing.
 

TrollersRollers

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
1,344
Reaction score
1,169
I believe it is the decision of the prime minister and the minister of education to approve the proposal to make SIT an autonomous university. SUTD itself is already an autonomous university when it first set up. Our president do not have any say over such matters.

You might be right about government sectors not giving full recognition to the courses. I agree with you on that.

One thing i'm confidently can say is that the Singapore's aerospace industries fully recognize the aerospace degree programmes offered by SIT. Big partners such as ST Aerospace, RSAF and SIAEC are supporting.

Other industries other than aerospace might not recognize SIT's aerospace programme. This is might be true and I have no news about this. There is a big possibility that DSO and DSTA is not supporting! I'm being frank.

This is why the intake number is very small, because nobody knows if this will succeed. Intake for both aerospace courses is only around 100 students. NTU-EEE or NTU-MAE can have intakes up to 500-800 students per cohort, because it is stable.

The Singapore's Institution of Engineers (IES) under the Aerospace chapter is fully supporting the aerospace courses by SIT. Soon, a new policy will be implemented whereby all aerospace engineers will have to register themselves as CEng/IEng.

The committees of the aerospace chapter of IES are actually SIT's aerospace professors. Ex-NTU aerospace professors are also teaching in SIT and the ex-director of NTU's aerospace programme is also currently in SIT.
 
Last edited:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
1) Singapore's aerospace industries also recognize distance learning degree for graduate positions which does not make SUTD & SIT anywhere more recognize as a local university.

2) I also agree with you that big possibility that DSO and DSTA is not supporting!

3) As for RSAF, I have not hear of any SIT graduates directly enter into Officer position. However for MDES, they will still consider distance learning engineering degree holder especially they have experiences for ME4 position.

I believe it is the decision of the prime minister and the minister of education to approve the proposal to make SIT an autonomous university. SUTD itself is already an autonomous university when it first set up. Our president do not have any say over such matters.

You might be right about government sectors not giving full recognition to the courses. I agree with you on that.

One thing i'm confidently can say is that the Singapore's aerospace industries fully recognize the aerospace degree programmes offered by SIT. Big partners such as ST Aerospace, RSAF and SIAEC are supporting.

Other industries other than aerospace might not recognize SIT's aerospace programme. This is might be true and I have no news about this. There is a big possibility that DSO and DSTA is not supporting! I'm being frank.

This is why the intake number is very small, because nobody knows if this will succeed. Intake for both aerospace courses is only around 100 students. NTU-EEE or NTU-MAE can have intakes up to 500-800 students per cohort, because it is stable.

The Singapore's Institution of Engineers (IES) under the Aerospace chapter is fully supporting the aerospace courses by SIT. Soon, a new policy will be implemented whereby all aerospace engineers will have to register themselves as CEng/IEng.

The committees of the aerospace chapter of IES are actually SIT's aerospace professors. Ex-NTU aerospace professors are also teaching in SIT and the ex-director of NTU's aerospace programme is also currently in SIT.
 

TrollersRollers

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
1,344
Reaction score
1,169
For your first point, i'm not so sure. I have worked in ST aerospace before and so far all my colleagues are graduates from local universities. I haven't seen any distance learning graduates from uniSIM and any other institutions. You might be correct but i do not know if it is true.

There are around 20 RSAF scholars. All of them are under the MDES scheme and under the airforce engineer vocation. Some didn't even complete their first year of service.

To be fair and honest, I really do not know how SIT graduates will fare in the industries. The first batch is going to graduate this year. Things are hard to say.

How recognized is an institution is all depends how the society looks at it. Anyway the intake is small because this is still under testing phase. If it fails, the impact is not great but government will lose the initial million dollar education investment.

SIT will still thrive, but the collaboration with OU will break if overseas degrees are condemned by our society. SIT will still be an autonomous university offering its own degrees at that time. No more overseas degrees.

Aerospace Systems is a unique degree in Singapore. Only SIT is offering it. Collaboration have to be done because there is no such curriculum available in Singapore. This course is more for poly graduates with Aerospace Electronics Diploma.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
378
Reaction score
0
I believe that the cabinet did not have the intention to add in more University until our ex-president last minutes order to add in SIT & STUD before he step down. Therefore I don't think our government sectors will give full recognition to this course or Universities like SIT & STUD anytime soon.

:s13::s13:
10 char........
 

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
1) I used to work as HR in aerospace industry & Interviewee for STE graduate position. I believe you have friends from Singapore's aerospace industries in other organizations & other ST business units. You are able to check if they hire distance learning degree holders for their graduates positions.

2) SIT Engineering degree are condemned by our society such as Professional Bodies like PEB Sg do not recognize their BEng/BSc for PE exams as quoted by SIT brochure.

3) Let just hope that our Government will not shortchange graduates from SIT, SUTD & UniSIM in long run.


For your first point, i'm not so sure. I have worked in ST aerospace before and so far all my colleagues are graduates from local universities. I haven't seen any distance learning graduates from uniSIM and any other institutions. You might be correct but i do not know if it is true.

There are around 20 RSAF scholars. All of them are under the MDES scheme and under the airforce engineer vocation. Some didn't even complete their first year of service.

To be fair and honest, I really do not know how SIT graduates will fare in the industries. The first batch is going to graduate this year. Things are hard to say.

How recognized is an institution is all depends how the society looks at it. Anyway the intake is small because this is still under testing phase. If it fails, the impact is not great but government will lose the initial million dollar education investment.

SIT will still thrive, but the collaboration with OU will break if overseas degrees are condemned by our society. SIT will still be an autonomous university offering its own degrees at that time. No more overseas degrees.

Aerospace Systems is a unique degree in Singapore. Only SIT is offering it. Collaboration have to be done because there is no such curriculum available in Singapore. This course is more for poly graduates with Aerospace Electronics Diploma.
 

TrollersRollers

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
1,344
Reaction score
1,169
It is true that the PEB do not accredit the degrees by SIT. There are currently no requirements for aerospace engineers to register under PEB. :s11::s11::s11:

PEB accreditation is for electrical/mechanical/civil engineering. PE registration is required for some certain jobs.

Like i said earlier, aerospace engineers in the future will register under IES. Something like PEB, but will have the title CEng/IEng instead. SIT's aerospace graduates is eligible to register. This is confirmed.

If what you said is true, then I believe SIT-UoG graduates will have to go for some job hunting overseas. :(:(:(

Anyway the royal aeronautical society accredited the degree programme.

One more good thing is that our school fees are actually cheaper than NTU/NUS. Tuition grant is available for SIT students. If it fails, at least school fees loss is not too much. :s13:
 

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
SIT maybe cheaper then NUS/NTU but it is more experience then PEI such as MDIS-Bradford BEng.

I personal feel that no point getting CEng/IEng(IES) apart from self achievement & maybe networking? For those Elect/Mech/Civil, they join IES hoping that their distance learning BEng/BSc will be consider for PEB.

These are the norm for those those who are interested to be 'PE' in aerospace industry can try passing CAAS papers or apply for Aircraft Maintenance Engineer(AME) Licence.

Let just hope that our Government will not shortchange graduates from SIT, SUTD & UniSIM in long run.

It is true that the PEB do not accredit the degrees by SIT. There are currently no requirements for aerospace engineers to register under PEB. :s11::s11::s11:

PEB accreditation is for electrical/mechanical/civil engineering. PE registration is required for some certain jobs.

Like i said earlier, aerospace engineers in the future will register under IES. Something like PEB, but will have the title CEng/IEng instead. SIT's aerospace graduates is eligible to register. This is confirmed.

If what you said is true, then I believe SIT-UoG graduates will have to go for some job hunting overseas. :(:(:(

Anyway the royal aeronautical society accredited the degree programme.

One more good thing is that our school fees are actually cheaper than NTU/NUS. Tuition grant is available for SIT students. If it fails, at least school fees loss is not too much. :s13:
 

jonsheesh

Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2011
Messages
137
Reaction score
0
I feel you should just go for NTU. As the pioneer batch, honestly speaking, I feel that SIT/UOG program is mediocre as compared to those offered by NTU. I didn't learn much from this program. And I feel it is not really catered for Singapore context. It will be challenging, I can assure you that. Afterall it is a BEng degree you are talking about here, not a diploma. Just make your choice wisely.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top