Soundbar discussion thread [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkingexpess

Reaction score
hi guys, i'm looking to buy a sound bar for my new tv (lg pj350) and getting a sound bar due to space constraint. is there anyone that can be recommended?

all i hearing are just lousy things about there...is there any model that is not so bad?

thks guys!

i need it to be a speaker only, because i got blueray player from my ps 3 already.

Last edited:

alanchia67

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there are several types of sound bar:

1) 2.1 or 3.1 (meaning left+right+sub or left+center+right+sub)
If playing music most of the time, 2.1 sounds better. If playing movie more, 3.1 better

2) with virtual surround or without
Obviously music sounds better without virtual surround, unless you want a simulated soundfield (stadium, hall etc)

3) virtual surround by beaming or dsp mixing
Beaming requires walls on both left+right side for maximum effect (via reflection). A good example of this type would be Yamaha Sound Projector (YSP series). DSP mixing is found in most others, such as Sony's S-Force Pro front surround, Dolby Virtual Speaker.

So there are many things to consider for sound bar. I have the Sony HT-CT350 to replace my JBL 5.1 system. I cant say Sony sounds better (since surround is virtual compared to discreet channel on my JBL), but it's good enough for most people. But I like the 'bathed in surround sound' feeling from Sony than hearing pinpointing directional surround from 5.1.

Last edited:

chunkingexpess

Reaction score
thks man!

there are several types of sound bar:

1) 2.1 or 3.1 (meaning left+right+sub or left+center+right+sub)
If playing music most of the time, 2.1 sounds better. If playing movie more, 3.1 better

2) with virtual surround or without
Obviously music sounds better without virtual surround, unless you want a simulated soundfield (stadium, hall etc)

3) virtual surround by beaming or dsp mixing
Beaming requires walls on both left+right side for maximum effect (via reflection). A good example of this type would be Yamaha Sound Projector (YSP series). DSP mixing is found in most others, such as Sony's S-Force Pro front surround, Dolby Virtual Speaker.

So there are many things to consider for sound bar. I have the Sony HT-CT350 to replace my JBL 5.1 system. I cant say Sony sounds better (since surround is virtual compared to discreet channel on my JBL), but it's good enough for most people. But I like the 'bathed in surround sound' feeling from Sony than hearing pinpointing directional surround from 5.1.

thks for the interesting input.. is yr 3.1? i hope to get one for movies mostly...i wonder if yours is the correct one for me ;)

alanchia67

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yup it's 3.1.

CT350 is 40" long I think. There's a shorter version I think 32" - CT150.

Go try at Sony Gallery for 'audition'. And buy from neighborhood stores if you want better price.

Last edited:

chunkingexpess

Reaction score
price

thks alan!

sim lim wld be good place to buy right?

or audio house?

is it possibly to know how much u paid for?

alanchia67

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my CT350 so-happened was a display set when i wanted one. lol.

sim lim/audio house is not what i have in mind, try parisilk, goh ah bee and others (i think there's a list in the display thread) for competitive price.

jekslee

Reaction score
I bought my Sony HT-CT150 for retail price at the Sony Gallery store. The length of the soundbar fits a 40' TV exactly (Was 1 of the advantage for me since i have width restriction on the pillar where my 40' TV was mounted). For me, it was either between this or the Samsung soundbar system. But the Sony won me over because it can support both optical input as well as HDMI (Good flexibility for folks like me who was working out the layout of my A/V set-up.) In the end, I decided to just have a thin optical cable input from my LED TV. All the other cables from the Starhub box, Bluray player and Wii go direct into my TV.

Slowdown

Reaction score
If you got money to burn, you can check out my posting here on Yamaha YHT-S400 Soundbar. You can also read an article on the latest issue of HWZ Magazine which featured a soundbar shootout. My precious won. Hahaha.

Last edited:

alanchia67

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh yeah, the new yamaha non-beaming soundbar YHT/YAS. since it does virtual surround processing using DSP, it would be comparable to many other similar bars.

but I dont like the idea of sub sitting on tv cabinet/rack. no idea will it have any impact to hdd in HTPC, DVR etc due to vibration.

Last edited:

Slowdown

Reaction score
oh yeah, the new yamaha non-beaming soundbar YHT. since it does virtual surround processing using DSP, it would be comparable to many other similar bars.

but I dont like the idea of sub sitting on tv cabinet/rack. no idea will it have any impact to hdd in HTPC, DVR etc due to vibration.

No vibration for me as my TV stand is teak wood. Solid enuf.

chunkingexpess

Reaction score
hmmm

sian man, i just called up goh ah bee and paris silk. Paris silk says don't sell this speakers, then goh ah bee says "sony ct 150 shi shen me lei de?"

oh dear, seems hard to get this speakers.

alanchia67

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i was at parisilk (katong village) yesterday while checking on other things. i've also asked about Sony HT-CT350 (for a friend), and I was given a quotation for it.

You didnt provide them the full model code is it?

edit: by the way, you listened to it at sony gallery yet? goh ah bee/parisilk dont carry them as display set. i'll strongly suggest you listen to it first before committing into getting one.

Last edited:

chrisvin

Reaction score
oh yeah, the new yamaha non-beaming soundbar YHT/YAS. since it does virtual surround processing using DSP, it would be comparable to many other similar bar

Hi, maybe you can consider YSP600, this is what I am using.

Only issue is may be a little hard to get leh.

alanchia67

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, maybe you can consider YSP600, this is what I am using.

Only issue is may be a little hard to get leh.

yes ysp series using beam mode surround are usually good. but for the price to pay, not many could afford it.

and there's no separate sub woofer so some may feel the low-end is not there.

dkcm

Reaction score
Can share how much you paid for your display set?

Swordsman

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I bought my Sony HT-CT150 for retail price at the Sony Gallery store. The length of the soundbar fits a 40' TV exactly (Was 1 of the advantage for me since i have width restriction on the pillar where my 40' TV was mounted). For me, it was either between this or the Samsung soundbar system. But the Sony won me over because it can support both optical input as well as HDMI (Good flexibility for folks like me who was working out the layout of my A/V set-up.) In the end, I decided to just have a thin optical cable input from my LED TV. All the other cables from the Starhub box, Bluray player and Wii go direct into my TV.

how much you bought for the sony sound bar ?

jekslee

Reaction score
I bought direct from Sony Gallery at retail price $599. It's difficult to find it anywhere else since i bought it when it was first launched in SG.

alanchia67

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the end, I decided to just have a thin optical cable input from my LED TV. All the other cables from the Starhub box, Bluray player and Wii go direct into my TV.

in that way, your tv is able to relay lossless DD/DTS (from Bluray) to the soundbar? i doubt so. How about from Starhub box, is the 5.1 in HD5 relayed to the soundbar too?

alanchia67

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how much you bought for the sony sound bar ?

Bought HT-CT350 display set at S$664 (around that) at Best Denki Ngee Ann City.

Just realized the same model display set is also available at Best Denki Compasspoint.

Swordsman

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Bought HT-CT350 display set at S$664 (around that) at Best Denki Ngee Ann City.

Just realized the same model display set is also available at Best Denki Compasspoint.

so the HT-c150 display set should be much cheaper.. 300 SGD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.