SQ > Waitlist question

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 8, 2003
Messages
7,851
Reaction score
80
I tried redeeming miles for return tickets to NZ sometime in October (business class). The SG-NZ leg is available, but the NZ-SG return is on waitlist. Given that the trip is still 5 months out, and SQ told me it could be available up to 3 hours before departure (which is bloody stupid since you barely have time to go to the airport on that notice), what's a reasonable time I should wait before either:

1. Cancelling and just booking with another airline, or
2. Go for the confirmed redemption (SQ-NZ) and find alternative airlines for the return trip?
 

bleonz

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2007
Messages
1,500
Reaction score
0
since u r on waitlist already, u can just call KF and they will help u secure n cfm the seat, instantly. my friends & i always did that. thats only applies when u r on waitlist. if the seats are no longer available for redemption not even waitlist, then KF helpdesk cant even help.
 

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 8, 2003
Messages
7,851
Reaction score
80
since u r on waitlist already, u can just call KF and they will help u secure n cfm the seat, instantly. my friends & i always did that. thats only applies when u r on waitlist. if the seats are no longer available for redemption not even waitlist, then KF helpdesk cant even help.

Did that yesterday, he advised me to check back in a few weeks lei.. I'm only Silver, maybe you guys are PPS so higher chance? :(
 

pacetone

Senior Member
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
943
Reaction score
1
Did that yesterday, he advised me to check back in a few weeks lei.. I'm only Silver, maybe you guys are PPS so higher chance? :(

Nowadays quite slim chance, even my boss who is solitaire life member sometimes also cannot get it. SIA sucks.....
 

bleonz

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2007
Messages
1,500
Reaction score
0
Did that yesterday, he advised me to check back in a few weeks lei.. I'm only Silver, maybe you guys are PPS so higher chance? :(
no le...we r not PPS members...u just have to tell them u need to confirm flights to book your accommodation etc....think of an urgent excuse la...u need to have excuse to push thing lo.
 

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
9,670
Reaction score
1,382
Did that yesterday, he advised me to check back in a few weeks lei.. I'm only Silver, maybe you guys are PPS so higher chance? :(

i m Blue ... managed to confirm waitlisted F seats after calling in :o

it also depends on the KF staff taking the call I think ... some are more helpful than others
 

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 8, 2003
Messages
7,851
Reaction score
80
Tried 2 different staff today. First one told me the chances looks slim, advised me to find alternatives (prob confirm award for outgoing, and other options for return).

Second person told me to wait, and sent a chaser and said to check back in 2-3 days.

Will wait, but if I can't get it still then I will redeem outgoing with miles and purchase another business class seat with another airline. The pay with KF miles + cash option is super not worth it, after 100+k miles still need to pay almost $5k.. crazy
 

bleonz

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2007
Messages
1,500
Reaction score
0
i guess...it depends on situation, case by case n where u gg.
1st, ur trip is still 4 mths ahead. next, how many flight does sq operates from sin-nz daily?

those which me n my friends managed to cfm waitlist flight by call in are flights which have more than 2-3 daily (like hkg, bkk, tpe) n our travel dates are 1 mth or just few weeks ahead...

and last but not least, yes...depnding on which cso u spoke too. they play a part too.

Tried 2 different staff today. First one told me the chances looks slim, advised me to find alternatives (prob confirm award for outgoing, and other options for return).

Second person told me to wait, and sent a chaser and said to check back in 2-3 days.

Will wait, but if I can't get it still then I will redeem outgoing with miles and purchase another business class seat with another airline. The pay with KF miles + cash option is super not worth it, after 100+k miles still need to pay almost $5k.. crazy
 
Last edited:

urban_closet

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2007
Messages
13,287
Reaction score
3
I usually get confirmed tickets on economy class, then WL for premium / business class if available. At least if the premium class tix don't get issued, i still have a backup
 

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 8, 2003
Messages
7,851
Reaction score
80
Thanks. Will wait till tomorrow as the last CSO said will escalate. If I
Don’t get confirmed (probably slim chance) then I will go ahead and book the return flights via another carrier and take the redeemed SQ flight for outgoing. Save the miles for another trip I guess

The later i book the more it will cost me in tickets as well as my time I’m following up
 

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 8, 2003
Messages
7,851
Reaction score
80
Update: Called today and another CSO told me the same thing "wait another few days/week"

I realized that an alternate flight business class has free cancellation, so I booked that and will wait to see if my current booking clears the waitlist before my ticketing deadline in Aug. If it does, then great, will cancel other booking and go for full redemption, if not, at least I still have secured both legs... seems like the best option right now
 

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 8, 2003
Messages
7,851
Reaction score
80
Just to update. My wait list cleared finally and I now have the confirmed return award flights booked!

Had actually booked the return business class via another airline as insurance (with full refund for cancellation) so I saved myself $3.8k which can now be put to better use :)
 

freewilly5000

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2018
Messages
1,139
Reaction score
13
Hi all - Question please :) if I’m put on a wait list, how long before the flight do they notify you? I fail to see the benefit of it to be honest - because if put on waitlist and rejected: what do you do? Buy flights at a more expensive rate as it’s so close to the travel date!? :s22: personally have opted not to book if waitlist is the only option
 

ApeTruelove

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2009
Messages
7,139
Reaction score
2,081
Hi all - Question please :) if I’m put on a wait list, how long before the flight do they notify you? I fail to see the benefit of it to be honest - because if put on waitlist and rejected: what do you do? Buy flights at a more expensive rate as it’s so close to the travel date!? :s22: personally have opted not to book if waitlist is the only option

Normally before flight close which is about 45mins-1hrs before departure... Also depending on whats your queue number if that flight alot people under waitlist then goodluck. Also there is chances your luggage will not make it to your flight if check in...
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,797
Reaction score
3,596
Normally before flight close which is about 45mins-1hrs before departure... Also depending on whats your queue number if that flight alot people under waitlist then goodluck. Also there is chances your luggage will not make it to your flight if check in...

That is considered on standby already, not waitlist :s22:
 

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 8, 2003
Messages
7,851
Reaction score
80
Hi all - Question please :) if I’m put on a wait list, how long before the flight do they notify you? I fail to see the benefit of it to be honest - because if put on waitlist and rejected: what do you do? Buy flights at a more expensive rate as it’s so close to the travel date!? :s22: personally have opted not to book if waitlist is the only option

For SQ it’s up to 3 hours before the flight, which is pretty stupid.

I had the same thought as you, so if you’re going to redeem flights best to give a long buffer period. I booked mine 5 months before the trip and it cleared 2.5 months before. You can always opt to buy another ticket if you can get a full refund upon cancellation, like what I did, else redeem the segment that is not on waitlist (unless both are on waitlist).

Depends also on the ticket price to see if it’s worthwhile to go to all the effort la. If it was economy class tickets I probably wouldn’t bother but return tickets on SQ business class to NZ to me is expensive enough that it’s worth the effort for me to do the above
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top