zumaba
Senior Member
- Joined
- Jul 4, 2012
- Messages
- 2,436
- Reaction score
- 43
The three SRS custodians don't advertise this option since they don't make much money on SGS issues, and you may get blank stares from many branch employees, but yes. I know someone who did it. It's a paper form (or possibly pair of forms) at DBS/POSB that's in their electronic form library. MAS requires them to do this if they want to be primary SGS dealers, and they do.
Note that SGSs can be called before maturity, so you still have to monitor your SRS even if your plan is to hold to maturity.
CPFIS can also be used to purchase initial issue SGSs, but that only really makes sense as a maneuver to avoid an OA "sweep" when purchasing a HDB leasehold on credit. In that case you'd purchase something with a short maturity.
First, you will need a CDP account, so go get one of those if you don't have one already. Second, you need cash in a SRS. Third, you need a Singapore Government Security you want to buy, not a Singapore Savings Bond. I provided two examples below. Fourth, you will probably have to visit a branch and ask for the SGS order form. "But wouldn't you like a horribly overpriced unit trust instead?" Be politely persistent. Eventually the fifth person asked in the branch will know what you're talking about, and they'll dig out the form. The form will ask where you want funds to come from, and that's where you put the SRS details. Fill out the form very carefully, and triple check it.
Unfortunately DBS/POSB doesn't let you conduct this particular transaction through the ATM or iBanking, but it can be done. (I'm not sure about OCBC and UOB and their Internet banking.) And it's a free transaction and free custody, except for the price of the bond.
You can also try calling DBS and asking them to get the form ready for you in the branch.
By the way, I highly recommend you put in a non-competitive bid.
Hi, BBCWatcher: thanks a lot for all the very helpful infos you updated. I did a search on web to find if SRS can be used to buy Singapore Government Securities (SGS) but the results seems not very helpful.
Could you please provide the official link that saying SRS can be used to buy SGS?
My SRS is with OCBC and I also can't find helpful infos from OCBC website too.
But I did find this info from DBS that you can use iBanking to buy SGS using CASH.
https://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/ibanking/faq/sgsbond.page
Got a bit confused now.
Last edited:

