SSD plus HDD in my laptop???

sellwatch

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2010
Messages
642
Reaction score
7
Can anybody provide any insight if the amazon crucial m500 ssd 240gb is a plug and play for my laptop. I am currently using a Acer v5-471pg touch screen. It is running on Intel HM77 chipset.

I also like to know if i can run 1x SSD + 1 x normal hard disk in the laptop.

I googled and saw this statement.

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology with RAID support for enhanced performance, power management, and data protection for the storage subsystems; this includes Intel® Smart Response Technology, a caching software, that enables small SSD with HDD to achieve standalone SSD-like performance while keeping the large storage provided by HDD

Does it mean i can run the above setup? Can anybody advice me please?
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,703
Reaction score
526
To do so, convert the often useless DVD drive to a HDD caddy. There you can add a mechanical HDD or 2nd SSD.
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
Yes.. Most laptops can only hold max of 2 hdd or ssd, in which 1 of it is ususally used to house the DVD drive. must sacrifice something to gain something. U wan use all 3, get a desktop.
 

acidboy84

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2000
Messages
2,328
Reaction score
0
For myself I ensure the laptop that I'm purchasing has an mSATA slot so that I can get an mSATA SSD and continue using the HDD.

My laptop doesn't have any optical drive to begin with.
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,703
Reaction score
526
Still can loh, just get an usb optical drive or buy an usb-to-sata cable to use back the removed optical drive.

Yes.. Most laptops can only hold max of 2 hdd or ssd, in which 1 of it is ususally used to house the DVD drive. must sacrifice something to gain something. U wan use all 3, get a desktop.
 

sellwatch

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2010
Messages
642
Reaction score
7
Thanks for the feedback guys. Guess I will have to sacrifice on the optical drive.

So to clone my existing drive, I have to get a USB to sata cable?
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,703
Reaction score
526
I advise you to do a fresh install of OS for less headache later on.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Guess I will have to sacrifice on the optical drive.

So to clone my existing drive, I have to get a USB to sata cable?
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,703
Reaction score
526
You can always use a thumb drive to install OS instead. I have done that since 2010.

Fresh install ah? Then I need my optical drive again. Wah piang, vicious cycle . first world problem. Lol
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top