StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

AT

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,989
Reaction score
3
Actually, for some of the STB, the ethernet port on it is not to provide internet connection, but to connect an internet connection to the STB.

There are some StarHub services that can be done on the STB, like SMS, etc. It's like a smart TV, except with very limited functions.

Roger that, understand.

thanks
 

red_december

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
1,544
Reaction score
40
Hey guys. Will be getting Fibre Optic next month. Have a question which I hope you guys can answer for me as I'm quite noob in this.

Currently, I have MOLPreimium and the modem+router is just beside my computer in my room...so I'm using wired connection instead of wireless.

Now when I get Fibre Optic, the Terminal Point will be in the living room just beside my TV. As I still wanna use wired internet and not wireless, I understand I can make use of the RJ45 socket. How to connect my RJ45 socket in the living room to the one in my own room? Currently, from what I have checked, all the RJ45 sockets in each room are connected back to the sockets in the utility closet.

Second question. Currently, the RJ45 socket in my living room is already in use (for MIO TV). How can I change my configuration such that I can continue using MIO TV and at the same time I can connect the RJ45 socket from the living room to my own room. Is it even possible?

Please let me know. Thanks!
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Hey guys. Will be getting Fibre Optic next month. Have a question which I hope you guys can answer for me as I'm quite noob in this.

Currently, I have MOLPreimium and the modem+router is just beside my computer in my room...so I'm using wired connection instead of wireless.

Now when I get Fibre Optic, the Terminal Point will be in the living room just beside my TV. As I still wanna use wired internet and not wireless, I understand I can make use of the RJ45 socket. How to connect my RJ45 socket in the living room to the one in my own room? Currently, from what I have checked, all the RJ45 sockets in each room are connected back to the sockets in the utility closet.

Second question. Currently, the RJ45 socket in my living room is already in use (for MIO TV). How can I change my configuration such that I can continue using MIO TV and at the same time I can connect the RJ45 socket from the living room to my own room. Is it even possible?

Please let me know. Thanks!

so in other words the same exact point you want to connect both your mio tv and your router?
 
Last edited:

AntzN

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2002
Messages
424
Reaction score
0
Starhub came to install the ONT and RG for my Maxinfinity Ultimate Broadband. They gave the the Huawei H256s RG...cannot choose the Dlink RG.

But at least I am getting pretty decent speedtest result now...:) Will try again tonite to see if it is stable.

2033612730.png
 

stilnox

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2001
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
Starhub came to install the ONT and RG for my Maxinfinity Ultimate Broadband. They gave the the Huawei H256s RG...cannot choose the Dlink RG.

But at least I am getting pretty decent speedtest result now...:) Will try again tonite to see if it is stable.

2033612730.png
to me both HW and Dlink is horrible.
 

AntzN

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2002
Messages
424
Reaction score
0
to me both HW and Dlink is horrible.

I agree...but at least the dlink is better than the HW. I would use my Engenius ESR9850 anytime if Starhub allows direct ONT.

Now, my Engenius is used as a gigabit switch and AP.

My speedtest result at 1930Hrs. Everything looks ok so far.

Direct Cable
2033899063.png


H256S Wireless
2033913782.png


ESR9850 Wireless (AP Mode)
2033925006.png
 
Last edited:

stilnox

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2001
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
I agree...but at least the dlink is better than the HW. I would use my Engenius ESR9850 anytime if Starhub allows direct ONT.

Now, my Engenius is used as a gigabit switch and AP.

My speedtest result at 1930Hrs. Everything looks ok so far.

Direct Cable
2033899063.png


H256S Wireless
2033913782.png


ESR9850 Wireless (AP Mode)
2033925006.png

I have surrendered and bought the 56U.. For now used as "56u" bridge.
Later than connect directly to ONT. If there are alternative solution for the homeline.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Nope.. ONT > 56U > N5420SP. Why.. Have a silly thinking to try Dlink as a bridge thereby hopefully the homeline will work.. silly thou :(

you know what exactly is a bridge?

i cross a bridge from point A to point B by using the bridge

I don't cross a bridge from Point A to Bridge by using point B?
what is the rationale behind it anyway?

correct me if i am wrong. I just couldn't comprehend it
 
Last edited:

stilnox

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2001
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
you know what exactly is a bridge?

i cross a bridge from point A to point B by using the bridge

I don't cross a bridge from Point A to Bridge by using point B?
what is the rationale behind it anyway?

correct me if i am wrong. I just couldn't comprehend it

actually no rational.. just hopeing the N5402sp will work for the homeline. since G5402SP can be connected to 56u for the homeline to work..
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
maybe not.. care to explain.. currently i m on ONT > dlink > 56u

hmm... correct me if I am wrong.

your dlink in this case is a bridge.

technically without it, you wouldn't be able to connect to your ASUS RT-56U

island bridge island and not island island bridge.
 

stilnox

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2001
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
hmm... correct me if I am wrong.

your dlink in this case is a bridge.

technically without it, you wouldn't be able to connect to your ASUS RT-56U

island bridge island and not island island bridge.

oh my.. oh my.. used wrongly.. let me ask again.. Can i connect it this way.
ONT > 56U > N5402SP???
 

stilnox

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2001
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
sure. but as far as im concerned, your voice will not work.

what SH old me too. was seeking alt for the homeline other than by 1. cable, 2. DVG-G5402SP 3. 3rd party firmware. thanks for the correction too..

what i could not understand is that if i purchase a G5402SP it will work with 56u and N5402SP will not.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top