Suddenly can't overclock and only half RAM available, help!

HungryPillow

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
828
Reaction score
17
Hey guys, I don't know what happened but today I noticed that Windows said I only have 8GB of RAM available (should be 16GB). So I checked CPU-Z and it says 16GB, and then I checked my BIOS which says 8GB. So then I tested each stick one by one and they boot up fine and memtest86 shows no errors.

Then I noticed my CPU overclock in my BIOS was gone. I've been running my 3570K at 4.3 GHz for the past few years, but now the CPU ratio is stuck at 34. I can't raise it past 34 no matter what I do (it used to be 43 no problem). So I tried flashing the latest BIOS, I tried resetting CMOS, none of it worked.

I have no idea what to do now. Is my motherboard dying/dead? I guess it's not a huge deal since everything seems to still work fine, just that I'm missing half my RAM and I can't overclock anymore lol

I uploaded some pictures of my BIOS below:

o2CQgQq.jpg

tiJnFiE.jpg

F7np8pX.jpg
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,837
Reaction score
1,781
You can load optimized defaults? if cannot reflash bios? if cannot then really gone case
 

HungryPillow

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
828
Reaction score
17
You can load optimized defaults? if cannot reflash bios? if cannot then really gone case

Tried this and didn't work

Resit your CPU

Tried this and didn't work as well

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...Ratio-Locked?p=7396222&viewfull=1#post7396222

at own risk, but i noticed the download link for the tool no longer works...

Thank you for this, I tried almost all the methods in the links and finally found one that worked. I followed the last 2 posts in this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/322017-30-turbo-multiplier-missing-asus-motherboard and it fixed my issue... so weird that my BIOS would randomly corrupt...
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,796
Reaction score
30,402
so weird that my BIOS would randomly corrupt...

So I tried flashing the latest BIOS, I tried resetting CMOS, none of it worked.

Means never flash properly on your first try. :s13:
Strangely though, a corrupted BIOS will at least fail checksum first.

At least yours still boots. I've had mine that became unbootable when hot and only bootable when cold. Reprogrammed the BIOS, fixed it.

The flash memory they use for BIOS nowadays really CMI.
 

HungryPillow

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
828
Reaction score
17
Means never flash properly on your first try. :s13:
Strangely though, a corrupted BIOS will at least fail checksum first.

At least yours still boots. I've had mine that became unbootable when hot and only bootable when cold. Reprogrammed the BIOS, fixed it.

The flash memory they use for BIOS nowadays really CMI.

Yea... so weird... I flashed my BIOS literally 4 times though lol. I did it through Asus EZ Flash in the BIOS before though so maybe using that AMI flasher is the better way.
 

hlots123

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
5,207
Reaction score
11
Means never flash properly on your first try. :s13:
Strangely though, a corrupted BIOS will at least fail checksum first.

At least yours still boots. I've had mine that became unbootable when hot and only bootable when cold. Reprogrammed the BIOS, fixed it.

The flash memory they use for BIOS nowadays really CMI.
apparantly abt this issue the corruption seem to occur not during initial bios flash, but during pc use eg failed oc etc.
and the normal asus bios flash tools fail to recover properly after the corruption has occurred...
 

hlots123

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
5,207
Reaction score
11
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top