super large image editing - how to speed up

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2013
Messages
8,132
Reaction score
402
super large image editing - how to speed up

file is 1gb raw : 40000 x 30000 pixels scanned image from negative 2400dpi

doing restoration with GIMP


using r7 2700 32gb liao, r9 270 gpu

still struggling

still need upgrade ram ah? what to upgrade?
 
Last edited:

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,076
Reaction score
1,769
If you are using Photoshop, did you allocate enough RAM to it?

The GPU is dated and could be the bottleneck.
 

FD Trinitron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
11,248
Reaction score
9,685
What is the original size of your photo? Quality of photo? Blurry?
At what dpi did you scan?
What image editing software are you using?
 

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2013
Messages
8,132
Reaction score
402
If you are using Photoshop, did you allocate enough RAM to it?

The GPU is dated and could be the bottleneck.

GIMP... just tried gimp ram setting... still loading long...

should I just reduce my work file.....
 

shadey

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
6,780
Reaction score
721
Are you on M.2 NVMe or SATA?

GIMP has very weak hardware acceleration. That's the price for using Free. You can try an older 2.08 build as well.

In the GIMP preferences dialogue System Resources, you can enable Use OpenCL under Hardware Acceleration.

That's about it really.
 

Rock-kun

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
991
Reaction score
1
GIMP is single threaded up to v2.10.

It's useless for any image larger than 20 megapixels at 100% scaling.

Speaking as a Linux user of > 10 years.
 
Last edited:

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,076
Reaction score
1,769
GIMP... just tried gimp ram setting... still loading long...

should I just reduce my work file.....

Sorry, not familiar with GIMP.

I use Paintshop Pro and on very rare occasion, Photoshop CS.
 
Last edited:

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2013
Messages
8,132
Reaction score
402
wow photoshop is indeed faster

but still I need to go faster

I timed some process.... seems like cpu faster than gpu

so I upgrade gpu is it better?
 

arvinsim

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2018
Messages
532
Reaction score
81
Affinity Photo is not free but it is a one time buy only. Available in both MacOS and Windows.
 

kandinsky

Master Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2015
Messages
4,693
Reaction score
10
wow photoshop is indeed faster

but still I need to go faster

I timed some process.... seems like cpu faster than gpu

so I upgrade gpu is it better?

No guarantee. Depends what effects you're using for this particular project. Only some are gpu accelerated. Maybe you can try opening a resource monitor during your editing and see if you can figure out what is causing the bottleneck in your current setup.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Not sure if you've seen this site. They do quite a lot of benchmarks for comparision.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...obe-Photoshop-CC-139/Hardware-Recommendations

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...IDIA-GeForce-GPU-Performance-1139/#Conclusion

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...adripper-2-Intel-9th-Gen-Intel-X-series-1529/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-Roundup-NVIDIA-SUPER-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT-1552/

See if can further optimize settings, e.g. setup scratch disks properly, etc.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html
 

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2013
Messages
8,132
Reaction score
402
nice

thanks guys

I will get a 1660 this Black Friday :s13:

and hope 64gb ram is cheap :s13::s13::s13::s13::s13::s13::s13:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top