"Survey" on the Stans Countries

HenrikCWT

Member
Joined
May 10, 2013
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

Over the past 2 years, I had the privilege of travelling to several of the "Stans" countries in the World, namely, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan & Pakistan.

Throughout my travels, I also had the opportunity to meet with local people who happen to work in the Tourism sector in these countries. The reason I am starting this thread is because I have really good experiences in all the "Stans" countries & I want to introduce this lesser-known region region in Asia to more Singaporeans, maybe looking into the possibility of organizing my own "tour" group with the help of my local friends at the other side.

I just want to know if Singaporeans are interested in visiting any of these countries? If yes, what makes you want to visit any of these countries & will you prefer to travel and arrange visas (if necessary) on your own or do you prefer to travel more comfortably with a pre-arranged tour group and local tour guide? Also, what are the more interesting "tours" Singaporeans will be interested in (i.e. Cultural, landscape, adventure <hiking, mountaineering, 4WD, motorbiking etc>, or seasonal tours)?

Do let me know!
Thanks!
 
Last edited:

sendtolee

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
940
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

Over the past 2 years, I had the privilege of travelling to several of the "Stans" countries in the World, namely, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan & Pakistan.

Throughout my travels, I also had the opportunity to meet with local people who happen to work in the Tourism sector in these countries. The reason I am starting this thread is because I have really good experiences in all the "Stans" countries & I want to introduce this lesser-known region region in Asia to more Singaporeans, maybe looking into the possibility of organizing my own "tour" group with the help of my local friends at the other side.

I just want to know if Singaporeans are interested in visiting any of these countries? If yes, what makes you want to visit any of these countries & will you prefer to travel and arrange visas (if necessary) on your own or do you prefer to travel more comfortably with a pre-arranged tour group and local tour guide? Also, what are the more interesting "tours" Singaporeans will be interested in (i.e. Cultural, landscape, adventure <hiking, mountaineering, 4WD, motorbiking etc>, or seasonal tours)?

Do let me know!
Thanks!

Perhaps you should share what is available for tourism for these countries instead of asking a general questions.
Do a simple introduction as not many are aware of these former ussr states.
 

HenrikCWT

Member
Joined
May 10, 2013
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
Simple Introduction of the "Stans"

Kazakhstan: NOT at all related to the movie "Borat"! The most prosperous among the 5 Central Asian countries. Astana is the capital city with several impressive buildings. Almaty in Southern Kazakhstan is in my opinion the more beautiful city with bustling old soviet houses contrasting with the up and coming shopping mall dotted along the main tourist streets. Almaty is close to the Tien Shan mountains & within a good 20 minutes drive, you will leave the city and find yourself surrounded by stunning mountainous landscape.

Kyrgyzstan: Probably my favorite country among the stans. People are mostly nomadic before the Soviet rule. Stunning mountainous country, very affordable, incredible people and the country is best experienced going hiking, horse riding or staying with local people in Kyrgyz Yurt (something like a traditional Mongolian Ger). Possibility to go mountaineering, depending on season in 7000m tall peaks.

Tajikistan: From Kyrgyzstan, depending on season, one can go on a 4WD adventure into Tajikistan, travelling on the remote and very stunning Pamir Highways. The Pamir Highway is one of the highest navigable highway in the World. I did this 2 years ago and it is one of the best places I had ever seen. Local home stays in Pamiri villages in the Pamir and Wakhan regions. From Wakhan, just across the river, one can easily see Afghanistan. I know of the way to visit Afghanistan (not the dangerous part!) too though i did not go to Afghanistan when I was travelling in Central Asia. In my opinion, Tajikistan tourism infrastructure is still in its infancy and one can easily experience authentic Tajikistan.

Uzbekistan: Probably the more "Cultural" Stans among the 5 Stans. Beautiful ancient cities of Samarkand, Bukhara & Khiva are not to be missed. One can experience the best of Islamic influence in Central Asia in Uzbekistan which in my opinion houses some of the most beautiful Islamic architecture in Central Asia!

Pakistan: NOT a Part of the former USSR "Stans" countries. Situated in South Asia, west of India. Tourism in Pakistan had seen a sharp decline since the 9-11 attack in USA. In my opinion, Pakistan is one of the favorite countries I had visited so far in my life. From the Bustling and chaotic streets of Lahore to the well organised and surprisingly "pollution free" streets of Islamabad (Capital of Pakistan). Pakistan is a stunning country. Northern Pakistan is my favorite part of the country. Relative remote and some of the World most beautiful, unique and stunning mountains/landscapes are in the North of Pakistan. Possibility of adventures in the North are endless. Depending on season: Motorbiking, hiking, mountaineering (world 2nd highest mountain K2), camping, village homestays, seasonal tours (Forget Japan! Autumn and Spring (blossom) seasons are equally beautiful in the North!) & cultural tours (experience Northern Pakistan unique cultures and their lifestyles!).

Let me know what you think!
 
Last edited:

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,635
Reaction score
3,487
I did Central Asia solo a few years ago. It's easy. Visas applications were a breeze. The staff at the various consular/embassies were really friendly and helpful. There's tourism brochures at the embassies too. It's just an assumption that visas applications for the Central Asia countries are difficult to apply/obtain.

There's metro in some of the Central Asia cities. It's easy to get around on public transport. It won't be easy for one who doesn't dare/can't/want to take public transport in countries in Thailand, Vietnam, etc.

I won't take a package tour for Central Asia. That's just me though.

If you are targeting the older folks/elderly, they won't be keen in shopping, hiking, 4wd, etc.
 

sendtolee

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
940
Reaction score
0
Thanks for sharing,

So what sort of tour groups and packages are you targeting?
Solo travellers? Couples? Families? Elderly?

How long is the trip duration?

Perhap, you would like to work out some simple itinerary, duration and cost to gauge the interests. Otherwise, people won't really know they themselves are interested or not. This is especialky the duration as most of us are hesistant to take long periods of annual leave from work unless we work in very "flexi" companies.
 

HenrikCWT

Member
Joined
May 10, 2013
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
I did Central Asia solo a few years ago. It's easy. Visas applications were a breeze. The staff at the various consular/embassies were really friendly and helpful. There's tourism brochures at the embassies too. It's just an assumption that visas applications for the Central Asia countries are difficult to apply/obtain.

There's metro in some of the Central Asia cities. It's easy to get around on public transport. It won't be easy for one who doesn't dare/can't/want to take public transport in countries in Thailand, Vietnam, etc.

I won't take a package tour for Central Asia. That's just me though.

If you are targeting the older folks/elderly, they won't be keen in shopping, hiking, 4wd, etc.


Yes, I know. I did all my travels independently and solo too. In fact, Visas process for Central Asia is getting much more easier know compared to 2 years ago. Thanks for the input
 

HenrikCWT

Member
Joined
May 10, 2013
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
Thanks for sharing,

So what sort of tour groups and packages are you targeting?
Solo travellers? Couples? Families? Elderly?

How long is the trip duration?

Perhap, you would like to work out some simple itinerary, duration and cost to gauge the interests. Otherwise, people won't really know they themselves are interested or not. This is especialky the duration as most of us are hesistant to take long periods of annual leave from work unless we work in very "flexi" companies.

My target group is more towards couple or working adults from late 20s to early 40s. Its more for people who are interested in visiting the region but don't have the necessary time to plan the trip properly. Also, I understand your concern about "full time" working adults.

For trip duration, itinerary, duration and cost, I have some proposals/samples from my counterpart over at the other side and would prefer to discuss this over Private message. Thanks for the reply!
 

artemov

Banned
Joined
Nov 14, 2003
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
63
I have only been to Northern Pakistan (Lahore, Rawalpindi, KKH, Gilgit/Hunza/Nagar) and Kyrgystan (Bishkek, Ala Archar, Issyk Kul).

I'm quite interested in the other Stans, especially GBAO in Tajikistan, Wakhan corridor in Afghanistan, Tienshans in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, and of cos Northern Pakistan again (Baltistan). Mostly for nature, landscape/scenery and hiking, and maybe some nomadic culture.
 

wuso

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
926
Reaction score
85
Hi all,

.....
I just want to know if Singaporeans are interested in visiting any of these countries? If yes, what makes you want to visit any of these countries & will you prefer to travel and arrange visas (if necessary) on your own or do you prefer to travel more comfortably with a pre-arranged tour group and local tour guide? Also, what are the more interesting "tours" Singaporeans will be interested in (i.e. Cultural, landscape, adventure <hiking, mountaineering, 4WD, motorbiking etc>, or seasonal tours)?

Do let me know!
Thanks!
Frankly, I think there will always be enough interests; it's a matter of whether you have enough marketing and social media expertise to reach out to them.

Though I haven't been, Central Asia (and the world in general actually) is easier to travel to as compared to say 8-9 yrs ago, where a friend backpacked there for 6months and the visas and the stooopid LOIs alone cost him almost us$400+.

As for Pakistan, easily one of my favourite travel destinations and arguably the friendliest country I've been (mabbe tie with Iran). They deserve more tourists. Hope your endeavour succeed! :)
 

HenrikCWT

Member
Joined
May 10, 2013
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
Frankly, I think there will always be enough interests; it's a matter of whether you have enough marketing and social media expertise to reach out to them.

Though I haven't been, Central Asia (and the world in general actually) is easier to travel to as compared to say 8-9 yrs ago, where a friend backpacked there for 6months and the visas and the stooopid LOIs alone cost him almost us$400+.

As for Pakistan, easily one of my favourite travel destinations and arguably the friendliest country I've been (mabbe tie with Iran). They deserve more tourists. Hope your endeavour succeed! :)

Thanks for the positive and encouraging reply! Cheers
 

HenrikCWT

Member
Joined
May 10, 2013
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
I have only been to Northern Pakistan (Lahore, Rawalpindi, KKH, Gilgit/Hunza/Nagar) and Kyrgystan (Bishkek, Ala Archar, Issyk Kul).

I'm quite interested in the other Stans, especially GBAO in Tajikistan, Wakhan corridor in Afghanistan, Tienshans in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, and of cos Northern Pakistan again (Baltistan). Mostly for nature, landscape/scenery and hiking, and maybe some nomadic culture.


Thanks for the reply and feedback! Good to see the interest! I am also still equally fascinated by the "stans" countries which is why I have this idea in mind, not just to start a "business" but also to share my love for the "stans" countries with more Singaporean! Pakistan is also one of my favourite country visited so far and I am definitely looking forward to exploring Afghanistan too! Cheers!
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top