Sydney

awhw

Reaction score
The reason why I kept mentioning IG, is that I believe those places would be nice for taking photographs. Yes, there are quite a number of cafes in Surry Hills. Use TripAdvisor to find out what are the better ones.
Many of these cafes would have very nice pastry stuff.

Orange is too far to be a day trip, unless you fly there. Not sure what’s there, but check out this page: https://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/country-nsw/orange-area

Can’t tell if May is too late to see autumn leaves. But actually once you arrive, you should see if the trees are still red/brown or already botak. Maybe I will look out for you come April (if I am in Sydney).

I have never been to Auburn Gardens, so can’t comment on that. I have passed by it a few times. It’s in the residential suburb, so it may not be as nice as the Royal Botanic Garden (in the city). Btw, the Royal Botanic Gardens is very picturesque. Your Mister will love it! Some of the spots have amazing views of the Opera House (either right infront of it at one corner of the Garden, or from Mrs Macquarie’s Chair (at the other corner of the Garden). Refer to Google Map, and you’d know what I mean. Btw, if you can, visit Fort Denison. Your Mister will love it!

Service apartments are nice. It’s just that their kitchens are too small for proper cooking. Your daily budget for meals is really generous. It’s enough for some pretty fancy dining. In Australia, they rate the restaurants by “hats”. 3 hats is the highest rating. I’ve only been to 1-hatters, so can’t comment much. But $100 per person (excl wine) is sufficient for a fancy 3-course dinner. It’s best to make reservations so that you can be assigned to better tables.

Tip - the Chinese, Japanese and Korean, Vietnamese restaurants are far better than those in SG, at the same price point. Generally you should be spending less than $20 per person. Do try that if you are sick of western food. Besides those “hat” restaurants, there are lots of bistros and pubs that serve really good steak (ranging from $15 to $38, for different cuts of beef). While in Sydney, try the tiger prawns. I had the very best in Lobster’s Cave. But that’s over 15 years ago. Wonder if they are still around. LOL.

Tim Tams are probably the only snacks I can think of. And maybe nougats. You can get cheap Tim Tams in Coles/Woolies. I have yet to find a place that sells nougats cheaply. Locals don’t eat that. So they only sell to tourists at tourists traps. Maybe the shops in Chinatown May be cheapest.

If you are into wine, then those reds or whites in the $40 (or less) range would be very good value for money. The same wine will cost twice in SG.

thwysg

Reaction score
Yea, RBG and Mrs Macquarie’s Chair are in my list as well. Not cooking in the apartment but to use the washer - clean clothes and we could travel light. And maybe the fridge - in the event I bought cold stuff.

Been looking at the menus of different restaurants and cafes - they are not exactly cheap. A$30+ for the usual breakfast - eggs, toast, mushrooms, bacon and some greens, A$20+ for a dessert in a cafe? Wow. Somehow I feel the menus from steakhouses/bars & grills seem to be more worth the money. At least I know we are eating good meat. A$150-$200/day is actually for two pax. I would consider it a little low after looking at cafe menus. Doubt the mister would be keen to visit restaurants of 1/2 hats in Oz, although we won’t mind spending such money in Japan or HK. :D

I’ve seen different articles on Orange and it happens that there are train and bus services from Town Hall so why not? It’ll be subjected to approval from the mister.

We are not into wines, those are usually for my cooking! :s13: Will definitely be visiting the supermarkets - Coles, Woolies and ALDI if time permits. Plus the weekend markets. Still in the midst of planning, shall get the ETAs first.

Thanks for sharing~

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aussie food, they have cafe culture here which kinda aussie, also their pub food where they serve parma and schnitzel are considered "Aussie" as well, if not get yourself some sausages and meat and chuck them on the barby (BBQ), very Australian...

In saying that, there's no real aussie food here, just eat whatever you like

awhw

Reaction score
$30+ for “big breakfast” sounds far above average. I usually pay around $20. I think the prices you’ve seen are probably for the higher-end ones. Can still try for the experience!

Orange - I believe it’s about 4 hrs each way. Wouldn’t that be very rush if it’s going to be a day trip?

thwysg

Reaction score
$30+ for “big breakfast” sounds far above average. I usually pay around $20. I think the prices you’ve seen are probably for the higher-end ones. Can still try for the experience!

Orange - I believe it’s about 4 hrs each way. Wouldn’t that be very rush if it’s going to be a day trip?

Oh, I didn’t know $30+ is under more expensive ones. Think the menus are from bills, Three Williams and a few others. Just searching randomly on Google Maps to check on cafes and their reviews.

Was reading reviews on Saint Peter as well - but quite surprised to see people complaining to find cockroaches running across while they dined and fishes undercooked.

Considering the first direct train from Central, it’s close to 5 hours one way.

thwysg

Reaction score
Aussie food, they have cafe culture here which kinda aussie, also their pub food where they serve parma and schnitzel are considered "Aussie" as well, if not get yourself some sausages and meat and chuck them on the barby (BBQ), very Australian...

In saying that, there's no real aussie food here, just eat whatever you like

True. princessreiko mentioned the same thing. It’s just Western, and the abundance of cafes and bistros. Might take a look at places serving local produce.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
The dates are not out for Vivid Sydney yet.
Should be 22 May 2020 - 13 June 2020.

How about heading out all the way to Orange as a day trip?
It's 4 hours drive one-way, so definitely not a day trip.

Australia don't really have their own food.
I went to the Grounds of Alexandria and it was really cool there.
Apart from a really hip cafe for Instagram, they have lots of flowers, some birds and even a pig there.
Works quite well for brunch. Can get crowded though.

U may like to check out which Tim Tam is unique to Sydney.
Sydney does not have any unique Tim Tam.

xiaojing11

Reaction score
Hotel

Hi, any hotel to recommend for triple bedroom, less than $250/nite, near train station?
So far i only shortlist Travelodge Sydney Martin Place, but got bad reviews items in the room being stolen (not just 1, few reviews).

Many Thanks!

Last edited:

kevin301

Reaction score
Stayed at Meriton Suites Zetland earlier this year. It's not super close to train station (Green Square), but reasonable I suppose.
Paid A$700 for 3 nights, for a 2-bedroom unit (4 pax).

I was driving and I found the location quite suitable for my needs.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, any hotel to recommend for triple room, less than $250/nite, near train station?
So far i only shortlist Travelodge Sydney Martin Place, but got bad reviews items in the room being stolen (not just 1, few reviews).

Many Thanks!

Triple room means 3 rooms or 3 beds in 1 room? Just use booking.com and filter based on your needs.. worse case is airbnb

xiaojing11

Reaction score
Stayed at Meriton Suites Zetland earlier this year. It's not super close to train station (Green Square), but reasonable I suppose.
Paid A$700 for 3 nights, for a 2-bedroom unit (4 pax).

I was driving and I found the location quite suitable for my needs.

Thanks kevin, this hotel seems gd~ except the location is not gd n inconvenient.

Last edited:

Gambler.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
flying to Sydney for a week.

Are branded stuffs cheaper over there?

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Maybe, seen a lot of asian tourist claiming GST refund at airport..

Really depends on the actual brand and item. It's almost always Asian tourists claiming though, and the occasional locals who would buy things, take them on the trip, and then not declare them when they come back in.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really depends on the actual brand and item. It's almost always Asian tourists claiming though, and the occasional locals who would buy things, take them on the trip, and then not declare them when they come back in.

I've done that every single time as well.. It's almost impossible for them to prove that the item you brought out is the same item you brought back in.

Last edited:

commie_rick

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

food prices here is higher than sg, thus it difficult to accept.
normal hawker food in sg e.g chicken rice, wanton noodles etc will cost u is $12 to $15 here .

bottled water alone is $3.

yea orange is pretty far away. if u want somewhere not to far, try Kiama

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.