Sydney

Jench1745

Reaction score
I am going to Sydney this nov. Any advise on the must go places?
Thanks in advance :)

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Searching this forum or googling would be a good start don't you think? I'm sure people will be happy to share but please put in some basic effort first before expecting people to spoon feed you ya?

fantas1a

Reaction score
I am going to Sydney this nov. Any advise on the must go places?
Thanks in advance :)

If you've only 1 day, go to the Sydney harbour area (opera house, rocks, harbour bridge, botanic garden) and maybe take manly ferry.

If you've another day, go to blue mountains.

once u been to this two places, u can tell ppl u have visited Sydney. :)

if you've yet another day, drive 3 hrs north to hunter valley.

kevin301

Reaction score
once u been to this two places, u can tell ppl u have visited Sydney. :)

Awww shucks.... Literally speaking, you are correct, but I'd like to disagree with you on that.

Sydney's much more than that! :)
Those are just tourist attractions.

Jench1745

Reaction score
Hi ahmad

Is parking in sydney expensive? Is it worth it? Or public transport better?

kevin301

Reaction score
I wouldn't advise parking in the city, for 2 reasons:

1) COST
You'll be there for a few hours at least, and the cost is quite frightening. More than your meal, I would think.

2) CONVENIENCE
Likely to wander around and end up pretty far from your start point. Would be troublesome to have to head back to your vehicle, when you can just catch a bus/train/ferry and be on your way.

kevin301

Reaction score
Didnt want to start a new thread, but was wondering if I could get any help here.

As scoot is having 1 for 1 flights to sydney, i am contemplating booking a pair.(total cost $855 for 2)

However, I would really like to visit melbourne while I am there. Is there anyway I could squeeze melbourne + Great ocean road in while I am there for only 12days?

Option 1 is to book a 2 way domestic flight (last checked cost about 200AUD)
Land in sydney, straight domestic flight to melbourne and rent a car there to do my GOR and philip island then domestic flight back to sydney a couple of days

OR

Option 2 is to rent a car, costal route down, philip island, melbourne city, GOR then domestic flight back up (One way domestic about 100AUD)

Option 3

YOLO and drive both ways (scared no time)

Option 4

Don't be a idiot and wait for a sale for non-budget airlines which I can do an open jaw flight

The sights I would love to see -

Sydney city (How many days I need here? 2 full days enough?
Blue mountains
Melbourne city (Same as above?)
Philip island
Great ocean road

Anything else would be a plus

Budget is a concern so nothing over the top

Driving both ways can be done. Have to allow about 12-14 hours for a reasonably comfortable trip (80-90km/h average speed) 1-way without any detours. So that's 2 days out of your 12 gone. Do you have any alternate drivers? Makes it less tiring to be able to swap.

When I lived in Sydney, I did a trip Sydney -> Narooma -> Lakes Entrance -> Melbourne (3 nights) -> GOR (1 night) -> Melbourne (1 night) -> Mt Buller (2 nights) -> Albury -> Sydney. Total 10 nights out of Sydney.

Speed was very relaxed. It definitely can be done.

kevin301

Reaction score
Actually you can just explore the towns around Sydney, better than fly to Melbourne and feel rushed.

Lots of coastal towns, skiing at the snowy mountains, wine country to the north, cheese and ice-cream making in the south, mining towns to the far west, limestone caves in the blue mountains area, etc.

Jench1745

Reaction score
Didnt want to start a new thread, but was wondering if I could get any help here.

As scoot is having 1 for 1 flights to sydney, i am contemplating booking a pair.(total cost $855 for 2)

However, I would really like to visit melbourne while I am there. Is there anyway I could squeeze melbourne + Great ocean road in while I am there for only 12days?

Option 1 is to book a 2 way domestic flight (last checked cost about 200AUD)
Land in sydney, straight domestic flight to melbourne and rent a car there to do my GOR and philip island then domestic flight back to sydney a couple of days

OR

Option 2 is to rent a car, costal route down, philip island, melbourne city, GOR then domestic flight back up (One way domestic about 100AUD)

Option 3

YOLO and drive both ways (scared no time)

Option 4

Don't be a idiot and wait for a sale for non-budget airlines which I can do an open jaw flight

The sights I would love to see -

Sydney city (How many days I need here? 2 full days enough?
Blue mountains
Melbourne city (Same as above?)
Philip island
Great ocean road

Anything else would be a plus

Budget is a concern so nothing over the top

Only $855 for 2 pax? Thats cheaper than mine. How I wish to go to Melbourne too but I only hsve a week

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Harro guys and gals, any comment on this itinerary?

Day 1
Land quite late so not really anything to do here, just gonna check in roam around and go dinner.

Day 2
Day Tour (engaging tour company I guess)
Jenolan Cave + Blue Moutain + Three Sister Rock Formation + Featherdale Wildlife Park

Day 3
Road Trip to Wolloongong/Kiama and back -- should we include Jervis Bay or is that too ambitious for 1 day?

Day 4
Sydney Opera House Breakfast, Sydney Habour Bridge, The Rocks,
Cousin Wedding 3pm til late

Day 5
Eveleigh Farmers' Market, Sydney Fish Market for Lunch, Paddington Market, Bondi Beach, Manly Beach
Family Dinner 6pm til late

Day 6
Road Trip to Newcastle/North, Darling Habour Hurricane Ribs Dinner

Day 7
Flight to Melbourne

I'm thinking of renting car from airport on day 1 and back to airport on day 7 but like quite 'wasted' eh especially since many days don't really need it. Any suggestions?

kevin301

Reaction score
Is Jenolan Cave worth going? If so, is half day enough or need a day?

If you have been to a limestone cave before, then it may not be so interesting to you. The journey from Sydney to Jenolan Caves is at least 2hrs. So 1/2 day trip not possible.

kevin301

Reaction score
Harro guys and gals, any comment on this itinerary?

I'm thinking of renting car from airport on day 1 and back to airport on day 7 but like quite 'wasted' eh especially since many days don't really need it. Any suggestions?

Usually 3 or 4 day rental is not much different from 1 week rental.

It depends on where you'll be staying too. Hotels in the city do not come with free parking, so it can end up being quite costly.

Day 3 possible to include Jervis Bay, especially if just to look-see (i.e. nothing too time-consuming).

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.