Telco reuse phone number

papercar

Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2010
Messages
280
Reaction score
71
On average, after you change your phone number and stop using the old one, how long does it take before telco use that number and give it to someone else to use.
Recently, I have a friend who change number, after just a few months, that number's whatsapp become active, but it's showing someone else picture.

I was thinking if one day I change my number, then suddenly a lot of people call me, not knowing that the previous person have change number, won't it be a problem if telco didn't wait for a period long enough before reusing that number?
 

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2001
Messages
20,807
Reaction score
2,722
On average, after you change your phone number and stop using the old one, how long does it take before telco use that number and give it to someone else to use.
Recently, I have a friend who change number, after just a few months, that number's whatsapp become active, but it's showing someone else picture.

I was thinking if one day I change my number, then suddenly a lot of people call me, not knowing that the previous person have change number, won't it be a problem if telco didn't wait for a period long enough before reusing that number?

When I did port my Singtel number over to M1 2-3 years ago I was told the standard was 3 months by the M1 Customer agent.

Not sure if its the Singtel number they will put out of use for 3 months or its the M1 number that I was given when I changed number to a M1 number a month later that they put in storage for 3 months.

I changed my Singtel number because prior to contracting with m1 for the 100 dollar porting subsidy I was getting calls for Orchard Hotel and Orchard Cafe, seems people were calling from office lines and hitting 2 9's instead of a 9 then a 6. I had to wait a month before I could change to M1

Was happily using M1 but theres some guy calling for a Rangovan on my current M1 number and he will tend to call back every few months or so.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top