The Contact Lenses Thread

warhunter

Reaction score
Can we still buy lens(B&L, Acuvue) online from US online stores? Or HSA banned it already?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fversion%3D3%26autohide%3D1%26autoplay%3D1%26v%3DB0jbVNB9UtY&version=3&v=B0jbVNB9UtY&autohide=1&autoplay=1&gl=US

Every pair of lenses require fitting. So what do you think you're buying? Fish?

deathman91

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway I have booked my check up with Ngee Ann Optmometry Centre.

Since its just $5 so can give it a try. Forget to ask if i can wear my contact there on that day? Anyone who went before got any idea?

No worries, they do have the lens tray and solution.

Webbyboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fversion%3D3%26autohide%3D1%26%26v%3DB0jbVNB9UtY&version=3&v=B0jbVNB9UtY&autohide=1&&gl=US

Every pair of lenses require fitting. So what do you think you're buying? Fish?

You think i am dumb or what? Of course i am buying back the same thing i am wearing now. :s22: :s8:

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway I have booked my check up with Ngee Ann Optmometry Centre.

Good for you, ZacDolski. BTW, do you live in the East? If you do, I think one can also go to ITE East to do such a test. Just FYI.

Maybe warhunter could further elaborate on this... :)

deathman91

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lets see if you kena infection or any other stuff still will say such stuff anot lor

Maybe they did have an eye check, just sourcing for cheaper sources. I myself is one example, I do proper eye check and get my lenses from reputable sources. :)

warhunter

Reaction score
You think i am dumb or what? Of course i am buying back the same thing i am wearing now. :s22: :s8:
Prescription need to be "renewed" at least once a year.
Everytime you get lenses your eye health must be assessed. Its not so simple as u think. Fitting must be assessed with every batch of lenses dispensed.

warhunter

Reaction score
Good for you, ZacDolski. BTW, do you live in the East? If you do, I think one can also go to ITE East to do such a test. Just FYI.

Maybe warhunter could further elaborate on this... :)

Dude. There is a huge difference between optometry and opticianry.
The course in ite is for opticianry. Opticians only prescribe glasses if they are "optician R+D" licensed. Dispensing opticians only dispense out glasses with precription from optometrists or eye doctors and does not check your eyes. they hold "optician dispensing" license.

Optometry is a whole different profession. They assess the visual function of patients,diagnose,manage and refer eye disease, prescribe contact lenses and any forms of optical aids eg. Glasses.

Opticians are only allowed to check patient above 8 years old. Optometrists are allowed to check younger patients.

We already have enough black sheep opticians breaking the law and they are still producing more opticians without first controlling the situation. Overseas opticians are not even allowed to check the prescription. They are only allowed to dispense glasses with a written prescription from optomtrists and ophthalmologists.

Last edited:

warhunter

Reaction score
Maybe they did have an eye check, just sourcing for cheaper sources. I myself is one example, I do proper eye check and get my lenses from reputable sources. :)

As I always say. Eye health and fitting must be assessed with every batch of lenses dispensed.

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dude. There is a huge difference between optometry and opticianry.
The course in ite is for opticianry. Opticians only prescribe glasses if they are "optician R+D" licensed. Dispensing opticians only dispense out glasses with precription from optometrists or eye doctors and does not check your eyes. they hold "optician dispensing" license.

Optometry is a whole different profession. They assess the visual function of patients,diagnose,manage and refer eye disease, prescribe contact lenses and any forms of optical aids eg. Glasses.

Opticians are only allowed to check patient above 8 years old. Optometrists are allowed to check younger patients.

We already have enough black sheep opticians breaking the law and they are still producing more opticians without first controlling the situation. Overseas opticians are not even allowed to check the prescription. They are only allowed to dispense glasses with a written prescription from optomtrists and ophthalmologists.

warhunter, thanks for the info. Wow! Luckily I did not go to ITE East for my eye check last month! :D

EMPt1ness

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps I'm kindda newbie when comes to contact lenses... so from wat i have read from u guys from ur exprience, to make a permanent pair of contacts ill need to first head down to ngee ann there to check my eye power and wat size of contacts fits m eye isit?
Then with the prescription ill head down to any optician in sg to custom make my contacts ar?

warhunter

Reaction score
Hi peeps I'm kindda newbie when comes to contact lenses... so from wat i have read from u guys from ur exprience, to make a permanent pair of contacts ill need to first head down to ngee ann there to check my eye power and wat size of contacts fits m eye isit?
Then with the prescription ill head down to any optician in sg to custom make my contacts ar?

You caan go to any registered optometrist to get a lens fit done. There are also 3 teaching clinics to go to also. Singapore polytechnic optometry centre,west coast optometry centre and the newly opened ngee ann polytechnic optometry centry.

When going to an optom. Makke sure they conduct eye health checks,lens fitting and also consult on your need for contact lenses. Make sure he/she explains any queries that you may have. May take 30 mins or so. At teaching clinics may take 1hr +

Last edited:

warhunter

Reaction score
You caan go to any registered optometrist to get a lens fit done. There are also 3 teaching clinics to go to also. Singapore polytechnic optometry centre,west coast optometry centre and the newly opened ngee ann optometry centry.

When going to an optom. Makke sure they conduct eye health checks,lens fitting and also consult on your need for contact lenses. Make sure he/she explains any queries that you may have. May take 30 mins or so. At teaching clinics may take 1hr +

Lastly. Opticians are NOT ALLOWED by law to prescribe/sell/teach anything related to contact lenses. They are not trained in contact lenses.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.