The Contact Lenses Thread

Lextor

Reaction score
RGP Lenses

My wife have been using RGP for 6 years now. Previously she had it done in Malaysia and she needs a new replacement now. Any recommendations to where she can go to fix up a new pair? Will need some one professional test and do fittings as well.

warhunter

Reaction score
My wife have been using RGP for 6 years now. Previously she had it done in Malaysia and she needs a new replacement now. Any recommendations to where she can go to fix up a new pair? Will need some one professional test and do fittings as well.

Singapore poly. Sure professuonal

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

I just opened my box of acuvue moist astigmatism lenses and I find my eyes drying out very fast like every 2 hours need to rewet. When I was 18 and using acuvue moist 1 i could go 4 hrs or more without rewetting and wearing the lenses for up to 12 hours a day.

Now I am 30 this year and am finding it very dry and uncomfortable to reach 8 hours.

Just read that cornea size and fit change every time

How fast do they change? Can they change in a month's time?

I am not a frequent lens wearer and it took a while to finish my Acuvue TrueEye non toric lenses as there were about 10 pairs left.

I have different degrees you see and have undergone an operation for keractocunus in July 2009 in the left eye but the operation helped slightly did not fully restore the vision I still see a slight double vision on the lower half of my left field of vision in my left eye

Could this be because the optometrist at Queentown Shopping Centre prescribed a degree lower than my spectacles ?

A few optometrists besides the Queenstown Shopping centre have said that my eye degrees do not match my spectacles now but I feel so comfortable in my spectacles.

I was prescribed with the following lenses

Left Eye - BC 8.5 Dia 14.5 D -2.50 CYL/Axis -1.75 100
Right Eye - BC 8.5 Dia 14.5 D -4.25 CYL /Axis -0.75 120

Do I have to throw the other 29 lenses away or can I do an refund with the Optometrist if I kept the receipt.

Thanks for advise.

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway logically when wearing contact lenses on a daily basis to work the lenses have to be in for at least 10 hours because if you start work at 8.30am and need to have the lenses in by 7.45am.

You can probably only reach home at 6.30pm at the earliest. Making it close to 11 hours that the lenses need to be worn.

If not I guess I will just stick to wearing lenses for special occasions or on weekends only.

warhunter

Reaction score
Hi

I just opened my box of acuvue moist astigmatism lenses and I find my eyes drying out very fast like every 2 hours need to rewet. When I was 18 and using acuvue moist 1 i could go 4 hrs or more without rewetting and wearing the lenses for up to 12 hours a day.

Now I am 30 this year and am finding it very dry and uncomfortable to reach 8 hours.

Just read that cornea size and fit change every time

How fast do they change? Can they change in a month's time?of course not. over the years as you grow up

I am not a frequent lens wearer and it took a while to finish my Acuvue TrueEye non toric lenses as there were about 10 pairs left.

I have different degrees you see and have undergone an operation for keractocunus in July 2009 in the left eye but the operation helped slightly did not fully restore the vision I still see a slight double vision on the lower half of my left field of vision in my left eye

Could this be because the optometrist at Queentown Shopping Centre prescribed a degree lower than my spectacles ?no, keratoconus is a progressive change in the cornea structure that leads to the steepening of your cornea. it just means that that the lenses are not suitable. IF I RemeMBEr correctly they only have base curve of 8.5 and 9.0. for keratoconus patients their corneas will be much much steeper. it would be better for you to customise a pair of lenses (hard preferably)

A few optometrists besides the Queenstown Shopping centre have said that my eye degrees do not match my spectacles now but I feel so comfortable in my spectacles.did they check the lens fitting for your lenses? view the lens on your eye to see whether its suitable? if not that is negligence. or did you just buy the lenses over the counter. then thats partly your fault.

I was prescribed with the following lenses

Left Eye - BC 8.5 Dia 14.5 D -2.50 CYL/Axis -1.75 100
Right Eye - BC 8.5 Dia 14.5 D -4.25 CYL /Axis -0.75 120

Do I have to throw the other 29 lenses away or can I do an refund with the Optometrist if I kept the receipt.

Thanks for advise.

as quoted in red above. my 2 cents worth

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I went without wearing contact lenses

They did test for me, made me look through this machine that has a house on a field of grass and there was this tit sound when the image of the house became sharp.

xmysticalzx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all, any lobangs for contact lens solution??

where should i get them at a good price and which brand?

tyia~~

warhunter

Reaction score
hi all, any lobangs for contact lens solution??

where should i get them at a good price and which brand?

tyia~~

consult your optometrist on the solution to use. because certain solutions may cause some form of toxic reaction on the cornea with certain lenses. general rule of thumb is to go with the same brand of solutions for your brand of lenses.

Also rememeber to discard your solutions 1 month after opening or as reccommended on the package. this is because bacteria can breed in overused solutions. Always remember not to put your lenses and solutions in the toilet. when you flush your toilet all the bacteria becomes airborne:s13:

also remember to rub your lenses with the solutions (multipurpose not saline) both sides at least 30 seconds each side. to rise off the dirt with the solution by spraying it before putting into the container filled with fresh solution daily to the marking on the container. if not using your lenses for about 3 days. replace the solution in the container. scrub your lens case every 2 weeks with hot water and air dry.

change to a new container with every new pack of solutions. which is every month or as indicated on the box.

NUTCase.SG

Reaction score
check out their about us. theres something fishing about this site. Optometrists dont do lasik. he must be a layman trying to make his website look more "trustable" by putting all the technical terms and professional accreditation. if he has real licenses in malaysia and UK he would have already uploaded it. words dont prove things. Pictures do. Unless they're Pshopped of course.

I dropped them an inquiry and they mentioned that they are new online but they have 3 retail outlets in JB. And since they always have Singaporean asking for delivery, they decided to start online.

Have placed an order for 4 boxes of Acuvue moist at $145.80. Now waiting for delivery :)

warhunter

Reaction score
I dropped them an inquiry and they mentioned that they are new online but they have 3 retail outlets in JB. And since they always have Singaporean asking for delivery, they decided to start online.

Have placed an order for 4 boxes of Acuvue moist at $145.80. Now waiting for delivery :)

Bro don't ******** leh.. U are the same person as theoptometrypractice. I see u both have same address with the name of lex. Don't try to bluff the people here. You are the seller himself advertising.
Sexposed.

smilingbuddha

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. too bad I not free on sats. maybe when my schedule lessens. think now go try optictian. 1st time. anyone has any experience with the optical shop at TPY, beside the kfc?

I bought all my specs there. I wore spectacles since k1 or 2 I'm 21 now. Got my contacts there too.

I'd nv patronize the place ever agn. Made me wait for my contacts fr 1 whole mth. Ridiculous.

zensushi

Reaction score

In all my years of wearing spectacles & contact lenses, I do not recall ever having undergone such a thorough eye exam before.

Since most of the practising members of the optical trade in Singapore are graduates of these fine institutions, why have they not adopted the best practices as taught to them?

I had just bought a couple of boxes of additional lenses online, based on my month-old prescription. Googled the store's reviews & found this topic.

Thank you, warhunter, for your tireless efforts in educating the ignorant & naive laypersons like me.

Will try to find out more about the services at the polys & make an appointment when planning the next round of contact lens purchases.

warhunter

Reaction score
In all my years of wearing spectacles & contact lenses, I do not recall ever having undergone such a thorough eye exam before.

Since most of the practising members of the optical trade in Singapore are graduates of these fine institutions, why have they not adopted the best practices as taught to them?

I had just bought a couple of boxes of additional lenses online, based on my month-old prescription. Googled the store's reviews & found this topic.

Thank you, warhunter, for your tireless efforts in educating the ignorant & naive laypersons like me.

Will try to find out more about the services at the polys & make an appointment when planning the next round of contact lens purchases.

The reason why no one practices like that is because optometrists services are not respected and the government don't recognise us as primary eye care practitioners. In Australia their government subsidises consultation with optometrists. Just like how we are subsidised for polyclinic gp visits. No one in the government is pushing for such improvements. As such the bosses of the optical shops continue underpaying and overworking optometrists to push for sales and more sales. Patients rights are not respected too.

zensushi

Reaction score
The reason why no one practices like that is because optometrists services are not respected and the government don't recognise us as primary eye care practitioners. In Australia their government subsidises consultation with optometrists. Just like how we are subsidised for polyclinic gp visits. No one in the government is pushing for such improvements. As such the bosses of the optical shops continue underpaying and overworking optometrists to push for sales and more sales. Patients rights are not respected too.

Is the reply in yesterday's Straits Times forum

"Optometrists can provide primary eye care",

yours?

warhunter

Reaction score
Is the reply in yesterday's Straits Times forum

"Optometrists can provide primary eye care",

yours?

No bro. I have not graduated from uni. Still here in Aussie. But yea. Optometrists in Aussie are allowed to treat eye diseases with drugs. Unlike SG with bursting hospital queues.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.