The Perfume Thread

hellomeister

Reaction score
If I would to choose between these 3, I will go for explorer. Easy to pull off, office friendly too.

Would stay away from cdnim, I think a lot of people is wearing this. That's my opinion.
my own take on CDNIM and Explorer

- CDNIM has very nice mid notes and the the drydown from mid to base got me a few compliments from both sexes which is a first for me but only lasts like 2 hours... Base note itself, my body personally cant handle ambroxan or ambergris, smells off to my nose and this base is very strong to me, on par with sauvage. cdnim also lasts very long, after shower still able to smell it on the skin.

- Explorer, safe aventus clone from top to mid. Mid note is quite nice but the base is my favourite among ambroxan ingredient. Doesnt come off as strong, great daily office spray although the ladies would just confuse it for sauvage too even though the intensity is perhaps 6.5/0 vs a 9/10
i feel explorer also just has abit more professional scent to it.

if blind buy and no issues with ambrox scent, then cdnim wont go wrong for the price.

dyst_9

Reaction score
So I ended up getting the Armaf Tres Nuit as a blind purchase. Wanted to get the Ventana as well but can’t seem to find it in mustafa

opening of tres nuit is mixture of sweet and fruity and a bit synthetic, reminds me of opening notes of Fcuk for him edt. Subsequently the smell mellowed and smells even better after settling.

projection wise not very wide, likewise for spillage. Longevity have to see tomorrow for a full day at work.

for a $15 perfume, I would say it’s a good blind purchase, which the missus approves. She hates my TDH

pardon my description, not an expert with fragrances.

Joe Maya

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So I ended up getting the Armaf Tres Nuit as a blind purchase. Wanted to get the Ventana as well but can’t seem to find it in mustafa

opening of tres nuit is mixture of sweet and fruity and a bit synthetic, reminds me of opening notes of Fcuk for him edt. Subsequently the smell mellowed and smells even better after settling.

projection wise not very wide, likewise for spillage. Longevity have to see tomorrow for a full day at work.

for a $15 perfume, I would say it’s a good blind purchase, which the missus approves. She hates my TDH

pardon my description, not an expert with fragrances.

I hate TDH lol

Yea Tres Nuit is quite good. But the sillage and projection is average.
Can't believe how they manage to make that very nice packaging for a $15 perfume.

johnnytann

Reaction score
Carousell, buy a small decant.

My opinion is this is not really suitable for the weather in Sg.
Quite hesitant on buying decants on Carousell because there are too many fakes around, although decants aren't expensive, but if it's a fake then it might not give me an accurate answer on whether I like the actual thing or not.

Care to share on why you feel it is not suitable for sg weather?

espenlind

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quite hesitant on buying decants on Carousell because there are too many fakes around, although decants aren't expensive, but if it's a fake then it might not give me an accurate answer on whether I like the actual thing or not.

Care to share on why you feel it is not suitable for sg weather?
Oud for greatness is a winter or cold weather scent.

johnnytann

Reaction score
Oud for greatness is a winter or cold weather scent.
Oic, sorry for the noob question, but actually what makes it a winter weather scent? And what type of fragrances would be good for sg weather? I am trying to venture out of the common office scents like MB Explorer and also others like the fresh type scents, I find them too boring and generic.

wahjohreno

Master Member
Reaction score
Oic, sorry for the noob question, but actually what makes it a winter weather scent? And what type of fragrances would be good for sg weather? I am trying to venture out of the common office scents like MB Explorer and also others like the fresh type scents, I find them too boring and generic.
Oud based fragrances feel heavy and overbearing once you’re out of an air conditioned environment. If your workplace aircon is not very effective (need jacket to sit there the whole day) it will feel sickening after a while and people are going to be bothered by you.

Even the easiest oud like a Versace Oud Noir feels heavy here.

If you wanna avoid the typical freshie, you can go for something like a Mancera Cedrat Boise. It’s strong and long lasting without being a freshie but not irritatingly heavy.

johnnytann

Reaction score
Oud based fragrances feel heavy and overbearing once you’re out of an air conditioned environment. If your workplace aircon is not very effective (need jacket to sit there the whole day) it will feel sickening after a while and people are going to be bothered by you.

Even the easiest oud like a Versace Oud Noir feels heavy here.

If you wanna avoid the typical freshie, you can go for something like a Mancera Cedrat Boise. It’s strong and long lasting without being a freshie but not irritatingly heavy.
Thanks for the very detailed explanation, I can see what you mean. If it is going to bother my colleagues then maybe better to avoid haha.

I searched the Mancera Cedrat Boise, and the reviews say that it’s an Aventus smell-a-like, I can imagine is going to smell like the MB Explorer again, which is what I am trying to stray from

wahjohreno

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the very detailed explanation, I can see what you mean. If it is going to bother my colleagues then maybe better to avoid haha.

I searched the Mancera Cedrat Boise, and the reviews say that it’s an Aventus smell-a-like, I can imagine is going to smell like the MB Explorer again, which is what I am trying to stray from
It's nothing like Aventus. Try a sample. I have both and they don't smell anything like each other.

wahjohreno

Master Member
Reaction score
I see, I think I'll go and try a sample. Do you think dark fragrances are suitable for local weather? Do you have any to recommend?
Personally I don't think dark fragrances are suitable. Our humidity makes them potentially offensive to others. And despite how much I might like a oud fragrance, not offending others overrides it. Hence I've sold most of it away.

But it's a journey.

I think you're maybe at the beginning of your journey of discovery. Go try everything. Sometimes you might really like something for a season, then later your tastes change.

For some of the "weird" fragrances I enjoy, I only wear them at home where I know they won't offend anyone.

johnnytann

Reaction score
Personally I don't think dark fragrances are suitable. Our humidity makes them potentially offensive to others. And despite how much I might like a oud fragrance, not offending others overrides it. Hence I've sold most of it away.

But it's a journey.

I think you're maybe at the beginning of your journey of discovery. Go try everything. Sometimes you might really like something for a season, then later your tastes change.

For some of the "weird" fragrances I enjoy, I only wear them at home where I know they won't offend anyone.
I have chanced across dark fragrances from people in my office sometimes although not oud type, they smell quite nice to me actually haha, but not sure if other people share the same sentiments. Or maybe because there is aircon in the office so it isn't that bad. Isn't wearing at home kinda a waste?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.