The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

AlvinDj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My frames just arrived from overseas, and would like to look for a decently priced shop to pair the new lenses on..

Anywhere to recommend?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
My frames just arrived from overseas, and would like to look for a decently priced shop to pair the new lenses on..

Anywhere to recommend?

which area you looking at :) can consider the options here if you really want good price and services :D

yeeling

Reaction score
colourmatic lens

Looking to replace my existing specs, colourmatic lens (no need transition brand, something more affordable, got a made in sg colourmatic lens from my home downstairs years ago but spec shop move away). Any recommendation?

seaflat

Reaction score
What the price range for zeiss 1.6 single vision SUPERB Duravision?
About 300 each eye.

lolo1972sg

Reaction score
Hi gangsterika
I have perfect eye sight since young until i am into my 40s and started having problems reading books and seeing things near to me. Then i went to Owndays to make my 1st pair of progressive lens (there is where they told me I also have about 50 on short-sightedness). Anyhow, i am into my 2nd pair of Owndays progressive but this 2nd pair is only into its 6 months and I am feeling that I can’t read things near to me as well as during the 1st month. In addition, the distortion at the side vision zones is also quite bad.
Most of the time, I am sitting in front of a computer. So that intermediate zone is also very important to me. As for the frame, I don’t really care but prefer a sportive frame. Based on that, what would you recommend and also mind letting me where is your shop please?
Thanks.

NewGuy96

Reaction score
Hi, my degree on each eye is around 700 and if i were to get the thinnest lens how much would it roughly cost and how thin will it be?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi gangsterika
I have perfect eye sight since young until i am into my 40s and started having problems reading books and seeing things near to me. Then i went to Owndays to make my 1st pair of progressive lens (there is where they told me I also have about 50 on short-sightedness). Anyhow, i am into my 2nd pair of Owndays progressive but this 2nd pair is only into its 6 months and I am feeling that I can’t read things near to me as well as during the 1st month. In addition, the distortion at the side vision zones is also quite bad.
Most of the time, I am sitting in front of a computer. So that intermediate zone is also very important to me. As for the frame, I don’t really care but prefer a sportive frame. Based on that, what would you recommend and also mind letting me where is your shop please?
Thanks.

Sharing abit of feedback i received from previous owndays progressive lens wearers as well.

1. progressive not working well. wonder if it is due to incorrect degree.
2. distortion at sides is quite high and viewing area very narrow.

these are common as the lenses are of lower tier.
Also, for chain stores, different people are doing the lens marking/dotting and fitting parameters for the frame. Sometimes you might get a less experienced person doing it which might actually affect the lens viewing areas based on where the staff mark the lens.
I switched many of the patients to a higher tier progressive.
Yes, cost is high. But you are wearing a pair of spectacles everyday. Comfortable vision should be priority and the benefits of wearing a good pair of lenses far outweighs the cost savings by purchasing a lower end progressive whereby you have to live with the discomfort it brings you.
Of course i am not saying everyone should spend out of their means to pay for a top tier/high end progressive design. Some consumers are fine with a smaller viewing area and distortion level at the side. However, for those who wish to pursue a lens with better quality of vision, there is a price to pay for the technology involved in these lenses.

Just sharing my own experiences with my patients and customers and hope to get more people to understand and realise the importance of good design progressive lenses. Have a good sunday everybody. :s12:

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, my degree on each eye is around 700 and if i were to get the thinnest lens how much would it roughly cost and how thin will it be?

thinnest plastic would be 1.74 index
depending of the brand of lenses, it can go from $280 and above.
Thinness level depends on the frame you choose.
smaller the frame, of course thinner the lenses.
More explanation will be done on various options at the shop if you wish to enquire more.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi gangsterika
Thanks.

Hi!

I got a few Questions to ask you before i can give you some feedback on my thoughts..

1)How long ago did you get your first progressive?
2)Is the second progressive the same series/tier as the first?
3) Is the second progressive fitted on a frame that is similar or a frame that is different e.g. (wider at the sides(broader), or longer in terms of depth(height).
4)Do you Drive? And if you do, is the vision still clear for you at night? e.g. seeing flares/halos or blurry vision when looking at road signs?
5)Did anyone mention to you about computer lenses too(purely just for intermediate and Reading)?

Do check your Pm too.

lolo1972sg

Reaction score
Hi!

I got a few Questions to ask you before i can give you some feedback on my thoughts..

1)How long ago did you get your first progressive?
2)Is the second progressive the same series/tier as the first?
3) Is the second progressive fitted on a frame that is similar or a frame that is different e.g. (wider at the sides(broader), or longer in terms of depth(height).
4)Do you Drive? And if you do, is the vision still clear for you at night? e.g. seeing flares/halos or blurry vision when looking at road signs?
5)Did anyone mention to you about computer lenses too(purely just for intermediate and Reading)?

Do check your Pm too.

Thanks. Have replied to your PM. Looking forward to your advance.

lolo1972sg

Reaction score
Sharing abit of feedback i received from previous owndays progressive lens wearers as well.

1. progressive not working well. wonder if it is due to incorrect degree.
2. distortion at sides is quite high and viewing area very narrow.

these are common as the lenses are of lower tier.
Also, for chain stores, different people are doing the lens marking/dotting and fitting parameters for the frame. Sometimes you might get a less experienced person doing it which might actually affect the lens viewing areas based on where the staff mark the lens.
I switched many of the patients to a higher tier progressive.
Yes, cost is high. But you are wearing a pair of spectacles everyday. Comfortable vision should be priority and the benefits of wearing a good pair of lenses far outweighs the cost savings by purchasing a lower end progressive whereby you have to live with the discomfort it brings you.
Of course i am not saying everyone should spend out of their means to pay for a top tier/high end progressive design. Some consumers are fine with a smaller viewing area and distortion level at the side. However, for those who wish to pursue a lens with better quality of vision, there is a price to pay for the technology involved in these lenses.

Just sharing my own experiences with my patients and customers and hope to get more people to understand and realise the importance of good design progressive lenses. Have a good sunday everybody. :s12:

I have also tried getting a prescribed progressive from one of the specs shop 2-3 years back and it was bad as well. Basically a worse experience than the one I bought from Owndays and it was done by a pretty old Uncle.....

Reaction score
I have also tried getting a prescribed progressive from one of the specs shop 2-3 years back and it was bad as well. Basically a worse experience than the one I bought from Owndays and it was done by a pretty old Uncle.....

Progressive lenses comfort is dependent on Optician/Optometrist's skill & the product used.

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score

Brings me back to the point of the practioner experience and also probably them not enquiring more about your lifestyle and habits before prescribing.
Hope your next pair will regain your confidence in progressive lenses regardless of who is fitting them :)

haiping

Reaction score
1.6 Zeiss SV Superb + Duravision Platinum

I just bought 1.6 Zeiss SV Superb + Duravision Platinum.
There is Z logos and VS60 engraving on the lens with certificate indicating the prescriptions.

One question, when i put my lens on a white paper, it appeared yellowish.

I did not order with Blueprotect. Is this normal?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
There is Z logos and VS60 engraving on the lens with certificate indicating the prescriptions.

bring it back to the shop to enquire.

sometimes the lighting of your surroundings matter as to how you perceive the color. It is normal for lenses to yellow after some time.
i haven't handled a zeiss lens for sometime, probably wait for other input

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score

On the Certificate, what did they put? 1.6 Zeiss SV superb+duravision platinum only? Or did it also also include blue protect?

haiping

Reaction score
On the Certificate, what did they put? 1.6 Zeiss SV superb+duravision platinum only? Or did it also also include blue protect?
Attached photos for comments.
cert_zpsnffogp9k.jpg

phot2_zpshvbrjuuh.jpg

phot1_zpsdpvxfrpy.jpg

phot3_zpswgjymuga.jpg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.