The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Reaction score
Thanks Bro, will check out this few days. For anti reflection and blue light filter, which brand is more recommended?

Hi Bro,

It depends on what you're looking for.

Blue-Reflect lenses reflects up to 30% of blue light across the blue spectrum (380-550nm). Examples of these lenses in the market includes: Crizal Prevencia, Zeiss Blueprotect, Hoya Bluecontrol.

Blue-Absorb lenses absorbs up to 94% HEV light (400-420nm). Researchers have found that not all Blue light will cause damage to the eyes but specifically just HEV (High Energy Visible) light. HEV accelerates the development of Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) & Cataract. Examples of these HEV filter lenses in the market includes: Asahi Lite UV3G, Tokai Lutina, Shamir BlueZero

HEV filter lenses demo:

Last edited:

owlsg8

Reaction score
Thanks for a really helpful thread. Senior citizen here, I'd like to make a new pair of glasses but do not wish to spend more than $600 for lenses + frame.

@GANGSTERKIA can you please PM me the address of the optical shop you work at and your name. Many thanks.

owlsg8

Reaction score
@GANGSTERKIA thank you so much for your speedy PM. I can't PM you so am posting here instead.

Will most likely go to the shop where you work. :) But if, not can you please recommend other optical shops which have good optometrists/opticians? Thanks so much.

fabfizz

Reaction score
hi,
i need a pair of progressive glasses. my normal vision is 6/6 but I need progressive to read. currently I am using those cheap 'old flower' glasses 1.5.

How much will it cost for progressive lens for the above and if with transition lens how much more must I top up?

I have a pair of sunglasses from loewe and am thinking of reusing this frame for transition and progressive lens.

please advise.

thank you.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
That’s fine, may I ask which location of Singapore are you at? Then the other users here might be able to provide you more places to choose at your convenience!

@GANGSTERKIA thank you so much for your speedy PM. I can't PM you so am posting here instead.

Will most likely go to the shop where you work. :) But if, not can you please recommend other optical shops which have good optometrists/opticians? Thanks so much.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Does the loewe comes with those nose pads add on? Or those European fit fixed on nose pad?

Generally sunglasses frames are abit large, thus not recommended for progressives on a day to day basis as there will be a considerable amount of distortion at the sides. The larger the frame/lens, the more distortion there will be unless no choice when our face are broader then we have to use larger frame size.

hi,
i need a pair of progressive glasses. my normal vision is 6/6 but I need progressive to read. currently I am using those cheap 'old flower' glasses 1.5.

How much will it cost for progressive lens for the above and if with transition lens how much more must I top up?

I have a pair of sunglasses from loewe and am thinking of reusing this frame for transition and progressive lens.

please advise.

thank you.

owlsg8

Reaction score
That’s fine, may I ask which location of Singapore are you at? Then the other users here might be able to provide you more places to choose at your convenience!

Location isn't a problem - can take MRT or bus mah :) Will you be in your shop this Monday or Tuesday?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score

Other locations include, Jamco @katong shopping center, Kj optometrist @ plaza sing, Lensmen @ parkway, Mr Eyewear @ west mall bukit batok.

owlsg8

Reaction score
Other locations include, Jamco @katong shopping center, Kj optometrist @ plaza sing, Lensmen @ parkway, Mr Eyewear @ west mall bukit batok.
Noted, thanks. Also thanks for your PM, can't reply to you yet (not enough posts). Will post in other threads (about food LOL).

fabfizz

Reaction score
Does the loewe comes with those nose pads add on? Or those European fit fixed on nose pad?

Generally sunglasses frames are abit large, thus not recommended for progressives on a day to day basis as there will be a considerable amount of distortion at the sides. The larger the frame/lens, the more distortion there will be unless no choice when our face are broader then we have to use larger frame size.

yes, the loewe comes with nose pads. it's not so big. very old model frame.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
yes, the loewe comes with nose pads. it's not so big. very old model frame.

Oh i see, then you can consider using the frame. One more concern is the condition of the frame. If it's an old model frame, servicing might be an issue and if any parts of the frame might fall off.

If all is good then that's perfect. If not you might want to use a newer frame so avoid breaking the frame and wasting the lenses.

Nitron

Reaction score
Hey all, Apologies if you guys have already addressed this.

However, I am currently looking to get a super-light spectacle frame for home computer use.

These are the ones i've come up with:

1) The Zoff's smart frames with the Ultem plastic.

2) Silhouette's Urban Lite

3) Swiss-Flex's airlight

Which should I go for?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
No worries, we share whenever we can.

Lightest just go for Swiss flex. It should address your concerns for a light and comfortable frame.

Hey all, Apologies if you guys have already addressed this.

However, I am currently looking to get a super-light spectacle frame for home computer use.

These are the ones i've come up with:

1) The Zoff's smart frames with the Ultem plastic.

2) Silhouette's Urban Lite

3) Swiss-Flex's airlight

Which should I go for?

damnit

Reaction score
Been reading the whole thread for past few days. Currently looking to replace my progressive lens. I believed the current lens are Zeiss lens but after few years, many scratches on it and slight crack on the corners.

I've read about Varilux lens but will love some recommendations.

Reaction score
Been reading the whole thread for past few days. Currently looking to replace my progressive lens. I believed the current lens are Zeiss lens but after few years, many scratches on it and slight crack on the corners.

I've read about Varilux lens but will love some recommendations.

Hi Bro!

If you're currently on Zeiss, i suggest sticking to it. Going for Varilux would be a downgrade. Lenses on Par with Zeiss or better would be Tokai lenses. :)

damnit

Reaction score
Hi Bro!

If you're currently on Zeiss, i suggest sticking to it. Going for Varilux would be a downgrade. Lenses on Par with Zeiss or better would be Tokai lenses. :)

I walked past your TPY branch yesterday I should have walked in :)

Any reasons why so many scratches on Zeiss?

Reaction score
I walked past your TPY branch yesterday I should have walked in :)

Any reasons why so many scratches on Zeiss?

:s13:Weekends are always very busy. Best to drop by during weekdays for us to better serve you :)

Zeiss coating is pretty durable. However, no matter how durable the coating, scratches are inevitable. Especially if the lenses are more than 2 years, as the coating would erode due to wear and tear.

happyko

Reaction score
Asking the experts here...I'm in my 50s and wearing half rim metal frame progressive glasses. My children did remarks that I do look fierce especially when not smiling. I hope to correct that. Is it possible to get a frame that may be able to help make me look more friendlier, approachable? :s13:

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Asking the experts here...I'm in my 50s and wearing half rim metal frame progressive glasses. My children did remarks that I do look fierce especially when not smiling. I hope to correct that. Is it possible to get a frame that may be able to help make me look more friendlier, approachable? :s13:

:s13::s13::s13:
of course! just pop by the shops with your children and ask them which one they prefer! nothing better than having your children there to decide with you :s12:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.