The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Asylumescapee

Reaction score
mmmmm okay, you know whats the RRP for Zeiss 1.6 / 1.67 Digital Lenses? and what to look out for authenticity? some laser engraving on lens?

also, any other makers of digital lens would you recommend? am thinking of making a pair to leave in office~

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi bro! I've high myopia (more than 1200 degrees on esch eye). Presbyopia is 150 degrees the last check. Any recommendations for progressive lens with 1.74 thickness? I'm wearing zeiss digital lens @1.74 now. I find the zeiss coating scratches more easily than the Tokai lens i previously got from Paris Miki. The tokai lens still looks quite pristine after 3 years while the zeiss starts showing scratches after only 1 yr.

Hey there,

was the handling of both frame/lenses the same? As from what i know and see, Zeiss lenses does not get scratch/multicoating peel so easily. Certain brands have a more vulnerable multicoat compared to others.
But as what User Garden mentioned, if you are still comfortable with Tokai then by all means go ahead and use it. We don't have to necessarily use the more known brands.
Or you can consider using Nikon or Hoya, both also are pretty tough in their multicoats.

rest1ess

Reaction score
Seeking some advice.

The prescription difference between my eyes quite drastic.

Shortsighted around 400 deg diff.
Astigmatism about 200 deg diff.

One eye high short-sightedness. The other high astigmatism. :(

What brand or type of progressive lens should I go for, or is the type of frame more important? I spend lots of time reading and on computer (not laptop) lcd screen. I feel my current discomfort is comingfrom the difference.

Thanks for any expert advice.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
mmmmm okay, you know whats the RRP for Zeiss 1.6 / 1.67 Digital Lenses? and what to look out for authenticity? some laser engraving on lens?

also, any other makers of digital lens would you recommend? am thinking of making a pair to leave in office~

Yes, all zeiss lenses will have their brand laser engraving on their lenses. For progressives/customized lenses, there will be other engraving to state what series/design those lens are e.g. D50=Digital lens 1.50 index and so on.

I'm off today so i cant help you with the rrp now, maybe you can pop by a nearby shop and check out with them too, who knows you might even find yourself your future optician/optometrists there!

Other brands of digital lens includes, Hoya trueform nulux active/Remark/Sync 3, Essilor has their Eyezens, Shamir has Shamir Relax,
I believe Tokai and Asahi as what User Eyezone mentioned also have their own version of digital lenses.

For office usage.. by any chance do you have presbyopia?

Reaction score
Hi bro! I've high myopia (more than 1200 degrees on esch eye). Presbyopia is 150 degrees the last check. Any recommendations for progressive lens with 1.74 thickness? I'm wearing zeiss digital lens @1.74 now. I find the zeiss coating scratches more easily than the Tokai lens i previously got from Paris Miki. The tokai lens still looks quite pristine after 3 years while the zeiss starts showing scratches after only 1 yr.

Hi Bro,

You might wanna try Tokai Resonas X progressive lenses (Widest Angle in the market). Its available in 1.76 index (Thinnest in the world) :s13:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Seeking some advice.

What brand or type of progressive lens should I go for, or is the type of frame more important? I spend lots of time reading and on computer (not laptop) lcd screen. I feel my current discomfort is comingfrom the difference.

Hey there,

Not an expert but will share some view here.
May i know roughly whats your age too?
Firstly frame is important as choosing a frame that is too wide or too large would cost significant amount of peripheral distortion and thickness of the lenses(weight).
Next, Progressives will help you to read better, however if it is desktop, you might have to adjust the desktop height to read better or else you need to tilt your chin higher to view through the intermediate zone of the progressives,(if you don't like that motion, you might need a pair of computer lenses instead).
Computer lenses works in a way e.g. the top portion of the lens is to correct your intermediate zone, and the lower portion for reading. Absolutely no distance correction but at least you will have a comfortable reading/working zone.
It might/might not be from the disparity in your prescription but rather due to your eye muscles being fatigue due to too much reading without a proper aid.

Brands usually i recommend Hoya,Zeiss,Essilor or Shamir and if possible start off with the mid tier lenses thus it will be easier for you to adapt to!

Let us know if there are any further qns and we will try to reply within our means!

Reaction score
Seeking some advice.

What brand or type of progressive lens should I go for, or is the type of frame more important? I spend lots of time reading and on computer (not laptop) lcd screen. I feel my current discomfort is coming from the difference.

Hi Bro,

People with high differences (<2.50 Dioptres) in their degree experiences discomfort due to differing image size(Higher degree = smaller image), due to the brain not being able to fuse images into 1. This usually leads to a shadowy images @ distance and in some cases, migraine.

A pair of properly tuned iseikonic progressive/office lenses would be able to solve your power difference, distance and near issues. :)

You may wish to book an appointment at our Toa Payoh branch to look for Peter for a non-obligatory trouble shooting session.

Last edited:

WayOfLife!

Reaction score
Hello all, looking at this thread and from what I can gather, I have shortlisted on this 2 brand of lens

- Crizal Sapphire UV
- Tokai Lutina

Currently wearing a pair of Owndays for about 4 years now. Bought the specs with PC lens add on. Always dislike the reflections on owndays pc lens and its yellow tinge.

Found the reflections and yellowing much more prominent than pc lens that my friends has. (dunno what brand though)

Just a few questions, has crizal sapphire UV officially launch in Singapore? If so, any users of this lens can give some comments on it? It's anti reflection purpose seems good to me. My current lens allows people sitting opposite me to tell what I am viewing on my phone, lol

For tokai lutina, quite impressed with the HEV blocking. The yellow tinge in the lens not as strong from what I can tell. Reflection wise perhaps not as good as the crizal sapphire?

Any one can give me a ballpark figure of how much these lenses cost? Single vision will do.

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A5000 using GAGT

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Hello all, looking at this thread and from what I can gather, I have shortlisted on this 2 brand of lens

- Crizal Sapphire UV
- Tokai Lutina

Currently wearing a pair of Owndays for about 4 years now. Bought the specs with PC lens add on. Always dislike the reflections on owndays pc lens and its yellow tinge.

Found the reflections and yellowing much more prominent than pc lens that my friends has. (dunno what brand though)

Just a few questions, has crizal sapphire UV officially launch in Singapore? If so, any users of this lens can give some comments on it? It's anti reflection purpose seems good to me. My current lens allows people sitting opposite me to tell what I am viewing on my phone, lol

For tokai lutina, quite impressed with the HEV blocking. The yellow tinge in the lens not as strong from what I can tell. Reflection wise perhaps not as good as the crizal sapphire?

Any one can give me a ballpark figure of how much these lenses cost? Single vision will do.

hi there .
you cant compare the 2 lenses as they are for different purposes.
sapphire UV actually allows more light into the wearers eyes and stuff will look brighter and more HD as compared to lutina which will block out light entering the eye..
so they are for different purposes. if you want lesser light going into your eyes with a blue blocking lens, sapphire will not be for you.

Asylumescapee

Reaction score
oh, not presbyopia :) my prescription is rather simple, L200, R250 (+0.25 astiq) and i hope it stays this way! i spend long hours on screens and i've been having frequent headaches and neck strain esp around 4-5pm in office! and was recommended by a colleague to consider digital lenses.

so been reading on it... i am pretty keen on zeiss, not so particular on frames. (haha if not bankrupt.. so trade-off on frames) just scared go into a shop kena ketok.. so want to know RRP of zeiss first... to have some idea..

Reaction score

- Crizal Sapphire UV
- Tokai Lutina

Hi Bro,

Crizal sapphire UV
  • blocks UV up to 400nm
  • has less noticeable multicoating, allow more light through
  • allows full spectrum of light through lens

Tokai Lutina
  • blocks UV up to 420nm
  • has normal green multicoating
  • Blocks HEV (UV400-420) but allows the rest of light spectrum through

Users of Lutina claimed that colours appear more vibrant, especially so for those with high myopia.

Both lenses have their plus points. Gotta weigh what you require more, allow more light through or more protection with vibrant colours :)

chikaboomz

Reaction score
Anyone knows where I can do lenses only at a cheap price? I'm a student and Owndays is too expensive for me :/

WayOfLife!

Reaction score
hi there .
you cant compare the 2 lenses as they are for different purposes.
sapphire UV actually allows more light into the wearers eyes and stuff will look brighter and more HD as compared to lutina which will block out light entering the eye..
so they are for different purposes. if you want lesser light going into your eyes with a blue blocking lens, sapphire will not be for you.
I see. My work requires me to stare at a computer all day. Seems like lutina might be a better choice. Guess the trade off might be crizal sapphire will have lesser lens reflection compared to the lutina.

Hi Bro,

Crizal sapphire UV
  • blocks UV up to 400nm
  • has less noticeable multicoating, allow more light through
  • allows full spectrum of light through lens

Tokai Lutina
  • blocks UV up to 420nm
  • has normal green multicoating
  • Blocks HEV (UV400-420) but allows the rest of light spectrum through

Users of Lutina claimed that colours appear more vibrant, especially so for those with high myopia.

Both lenses have their plus points. Gotta weigh what you require more, allow more light through or more protection with vibrant colours :)
Thanks for the breakdown. Will weight my needs and decide on my preferred lens.

But for now which lens cost more? My left eye is around high 400 while my right is around high 500, with some astig. Can't rmb the exact degree cos it's been some time since I did an eye check

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone can recommend good and cheap contacts?

to me, no such thing as a good contact.
it is a medical device on your eye and proper checks should be done to check the fit of it on the eye and not just buy off the shelves.
many people do as they feel it is the norm but they have not been through a thorough eye check or dont feel the need to because their eyes feel fine.

I guess all i can say is you won't think something is amiss when you feel fine. Just like how you only see a doctor when you don't feel well.
anyway, not related to glasses.. there is a contact lens thread elsewhere if anyone wishes to know more.

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
oh, not presbyopia :) my prescription is rather simple, L200, R250 (+0.25 astiq) and i hope it stays this way! i spend long hours on screens and i've been having frequent headaches and neck strain esp around 4-5pm in office! and was recommended by a colleague to consider digital lenses.

so been reading on it... i am pretty keen on zeiss, not so particular on frames. (haha if not bankrupt.. so trade-off on frames) just scared go into a shop kena ketok.. so want to know RRP of zeiss first... to have some idea..

No worries. with your prescription zeiss 1.5 digital with the blue protect RRP is $290. frame depending on what you choose lets say a normal not too expensive pair.. below $150. :) hope this helps :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.