The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

sarduakar2000

Reaction score
Ownday lenses are definitely not as comfortable as branded ones.

But, it should also not cost so much for lenses of the same quality of branded ones. Look out for local brands that make similar quality progressive lenses, but at a lower price point.

Best to find a shop that recommend lenses to you based on your needs.
Do you have example of local brand?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
It cost 530, depending, shops will also give discount to you. Some shops do sell it. Do ask your queries here and we can help you with it. Also you can Google miyosmart dims. The 6/48 vision is it correctable with lenses or amblyopia? Considered poor vision for a young child, should get glasses soon. Or it might lead to lazy eyes in future!!

realised that it's not so easy to find which shops in Singapore offers Miyosmart and roughly what's the cost we're looking at.. Interested to further find out more for my 7 year old son, whom recently was diagnosed with 6/48 eyesight (not sure if it's very bad or just normal bad)..

ralliart12

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
User Seannie explained it. Mystyle is under progressives whereas nulux EP would be under single vision.

I have a question, since progressive = 老花 lenses, then is it also the same as bifocals?

Then isn’t bifocals also having multiple “powers” in a single lens, aka “tailored” lens?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Bifocal= bi/two focal/vision, thus you only have 2 vision points which is for far and near.

Multi focal lenses =multi/many focal lenses allows you to see at a variety of ranges thus progressives.

Why are they call progressive is because the degree also progressively reduces/increases(depending if you are a myope or hyperope/short/far sighted) throughout the lenses from TOP down. E.g. top part of lens is -1.00 degree and your lao hua is +2.00 degree, effectively your reading power at the lowest end is +1.00 degree.

Thus if you computer range requires a power of +0.50 degree, the progressive lenses will cover that segment as it is on the way through to the bottom of the lenses e.g. -1.00,-0.50,0,+0.50,+1.00. Thus you notice the power progressively reduces.

*might not reply so fast as I am working atm. Cheers

I have a question, since progressive = 老花 lenses, then is it also the same as bifocals?

Then isn’t bifocals also having multiple “powers” in a single lens, aka “tailored” lens?

dominicwor2

Master Member
Reaction score
It cost 530, depending, shops will also give discount to you. Some shops do sell it. Do ask your queries here and we can help you with it. Also you can Google miyosmart dims. The 6/48 vision is it correctable with lenses or amblyopia? Considered poor vision for a young child, should get glasses soon. Or it might lead to lazy eyes in future!!

My son's scheduled for a follow up check at snec/singhealth in early feb. will they be able to diagnose if his vision is due to myopic or ambblyopia? or if i dn wan to drag it further,would the shops facilitating the miyosmart programs able to also diagnose?

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
0J5fkSbl.jpg

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT

Darkshadows

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i bought close to 20 pairs from them... legit ... but if yr san guan above 250 cannot import to singapore. take note... I usually ask to ship to my friend in JB and i collect from them.:D

Wow...20? That's a lot of spectacles. Good to hear that. Luckily my astigmatism is only 0.25 which is negligible. Thanks!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes of course! If early feb it be close to next month. Is he already wearing glasses?
And yes, shops that sell miyosmart lenses should be well equipped to handle paediatric patients.

My son's scheduled for a follow up check at snec/singhealth in early feb. will they be able to diagnose if his vision is due to myopic or ambblyopia? or if i dn wan to drag it further,would the shops facilitating the miyosmart programs able to also diagnose?

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
My humble opinion is that blue light is useful for reducing glare. There are studies which claim that it reduces chance of cataract, macular degeneration and so on. But if you read closely into the articles you will realise that some of them mention the results are still insufficient to state such a claim even though their “particular study” shows blue light filter is good to prevent such diseases.
So unless it’s proven in the articles, I wouldn’t go around telling that it protects your eyes from such diseases.
Also if you are reading such articles, it’s important to cross reference the authors and see if they did publish other articles or just a one-off article. Don’t just read the results section of the article and deem it as it is as the content inside is where you find the answer you are looking for.

watch a youtube channel talking about"anti blue light coating" which is not relevant helpful to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJY9bgLyBE

dominicwor2

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes of course! If early feb it be close to next month. Is he already wearing glasses?
And yes, shops that sell miyosmart lenses should be well equipped to handle paediatric patients.

many thanks bro for the advise rendered! very helpful

Lampard

Reaction score
Anyone bought from smartbuyglasses before ? Their frame seems cheaper than retail

Reaction score
Do you have example of local brand?

Cant say much about other brands but so far Mvision has been able to produce Zeiss standard lenses at a much more affordable price point.

We've been using their lenses for a long time & so far our progressive lens fit success rate is almost 100%.

therat

Master Member
Reaction score
My existing lens coating is running out. Need to do new progressive lens.

This is my present lens data
R SpH-6.25 Cyl-1.25 AX 180 ADD1.75 Inset +1.9
L SpH-6.00 Cyl-1.25 AX 180 ADD1.75 Inset +1.9

Index 1.67

What will be the lens cost for Hoya Dynamic premium and Lifestyle Balansis?
And what is the different these 2 lens?

Any recommended shop?

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi bro, what lenses are you currently using? Any idea? Also can I recommend you to either use lifestyle V+ or else dynamic premium? Honestly balansis is a neither here Nor there Lens. Lifestyle V+ is much better in terms of reading + distance and dynamic premium is slightly poorer(based of feedback).

The difference is usually the better lenses has a wider FOV in terms of distance and reading, lesser distortion at the side too.

My existing lens coating is running out. Need to do new progressive lens.

This is my present lens data
R SpH-6.25 Cyl-1.25 AX 180 ADD1.75 Inset +1.9
L SpH-6.00 Cyl-1.25 AX 180 ADD1.75 Inset +1.9

Index 1.67

What will be the lens cost for Hoya Dynamic premium and Lifestyle Balansis?
And what is the different these 2 lens?

Any recommended shop?

therat

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi bro, what lenses are you currently using? Any idea? Also can I recommend you to either use lifestyle V+ or else dynamic premium? Honestly balansis is a neither here Nor there Lens. Lifestyle V+ is much better in terms of reading + distance and dynamic premium is slightly poorer(based of feedback).

The difference is usually the better lenses has a wider FOV in terms of distance and reading, lesser distortion at the side too.

Presently, I'm using Hoya progressive lens. Index 1.67.
This was done in 2014

I cannot remember what type it is . Not sure does Lens Name help, Lens Name: FD167BG-H

Some said should do 2 type of glass. 1 is progressive, another one is Intermediate distance. This is the first time, I heard of "Intermediate distance", have no idea what that does, :s13:

My work is desk bound work. Face computer whole day long.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh, then FD is the equivalent to hoya balansis. If you are comfortable with it then can still stick to it, or else I suggest lifestyle V+. Progressive is good for different views, but yes as suggested by others, having a separate pair of intermediate might be better for you or as we term it, office lens.
This will Ensure you don’t have to tilt your Chin up constantly when looking at your computer.

Presently, I'm using Hoya progressive lens. Index 1.67.
This was done in 2014

I cannot remember what type it is . Not sure does Lens Name help, Lens Name: FD167BG-H

Some said should do 2 type of glass. 1 is progressive, another one is Intermediate distance. This is the first time, I heard of "Intermediate distance", have no idea what that does, :s13:

My work is desk bound work. Face computer whole day long.

therat

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh, then FD is the equivalent to hoya balansis. If you are comfortable with it then can still stick to it, or else I suggest lifestyle V+. Progressive is good for different views, but yes as suggested by others, having a separate pair of intermediate might be better for you or as we term it, office lens.
This will Ensure you don’t have to tilt your Chin up constantly when looking at your computer.

So far, I quite okay with present lens.
I also want to add anti-blue and transition.

based on my eye data, I scare Lifestyle V+ might cost me 1 leg 1 arm. :s22:

what will be the lens cost for Hoya Balansis and Lifestyle V+.

If I get a intermediate spec, when in meeting, I might have to keep on changing lens when looking at laptop and projector screen.
Like very busy. :s13:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
If that’s the case then invest in a better one like lifestyle V+ then.
However office lens has different types, some allowing you to see even further than just computer distance. 1,2,4 metres. It can be adjusted to those distances.
For hoya as Long as you get transitions/sensity, auto will have free blue control added in. Its their perks.

So far, I quite okay with present lens.
I also want to add anti-blue and transition.

based on my eye data, I scare Lifestyle V+ might cost me 1 leg 1 arm. :s22:

what will be the lens cost for Hoya Balansis and Lifestyle V+.

If I get a intermediate spec, when in meeting, I might have to keep on changing lens when looking at laptop and projector screen.
Like very busy. :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.