The Watch Thread - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

edchys

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Err.. I feel that value and depreciation does play a part in our purchasing decisions.
For example, my heart tells me that I should go for hublot spirit of big bang. I really like the case shape, not bad movement and the fact that it resembles a RM knowing fully well that I can never afford a RM in my lifetime. But my head is telling me to get a rolex dssd blue for around the same price (both grey sets). Branding wise rolex >hublot, I feel that I can get 'more' watch out of dssd. Also thinking of service intervals, servicing cost some time down the line.

Sent from HUAWEI ALP-L29 using GAGT

edchys

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only stating my views, dai kors please don't bash me.

Shadow04

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The problem with the discussion for the last few pages is people looking at watches as an investment instead of a hobby. Nobody in any other hobbies, be it PC gaming, photography, toy/manga collection, modification of cars, aquariums or just about any other hobby that can just as easily reach up to or exceed a $6000 Tudor sees such intense discussion of resale value.

It is like asking an Ultraman fan to start collecting Avengers toys now because Marvel is the "in-thing" now, and that he will get better value out of them. Who the hell wants so buy an Ultraman toy if he wants to sell it in the future right? It is a hobby, you collect something because you like it. If you have something on your hand that can sell it for a premium somewhere down the road, that is a bonus. Vast majority of hobbies are money sink anyway, who goes into a hobby expecting to make money out of it? :look:

iV3RsOn

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Err.. I feel that value and depreciation does play a part in our purchasing decisions.
For example, my heart tells me that I should go for hublot spirit of big bang. I really like the case shape, not bad movement and the fact that it resembles a RM knowing fully well that I can never afford a RM in my lifetime. But my head is telling me to get a rolex dssd blue for around the same price (both grey sets). Branding wise rolex >hublot, I feel that I can get 'more' watch out of dssd. Also thinking of service intervals, servicing cost some time down the line.

wah your wrist confirm thick like mine

pwillie

Master Member
Reaction score
Question to noobs: save up to buy a Tudor or holiday to Iceland?

O3oraJ0.jpg

Answer: None of the above
Tudor: worthless watch will bankrupt u, and bring u to financial ruin faster than infinity gauntlet
Holiday: can u pawn your holiday memories during recession?

iV3RsOn

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Question to noobs: save up to buy a Tudor or holiday to Iceland?

O3oraJ0.jpg

Answer: None of the above
Tudor: worthless watch will bankrupt u, and bring u to financial ruin faster than infinity gauntlet
Holiday: can u pawn your holiday memories during recession?

heng i google image iceland good enough liao.... FREE

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

then bo bian, just revolve around rolex.

you will forever have that itch to scratch.

recently, i am staying away from rolex, buying iwc, jlc, panerai - why? because rolex here and there the same. value is there for sure but it doesn't scratch the itch of different watches.

i only have 1 white explorer 2 and that's it. good enough. i have worn gold rolex, 2 tone rolex, feels good but it wears out pretty fast.
and knowing i can earn from it, might as well flip it and buy others.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Fug..you guys are unbelievable.

I haven't even gotten around to taking a "troops fall in" pic of my collection yet.

Goes to show the level of narcissism in here :o

waiting.

show me your stuff. must be very satki.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aiya guys, at the end of the day.

That guy is just playing us. he didn't even show us his satki money making collection.

all is just talk.

to me, he is another idiot from EDMW. let him do what he wants and let us buy shitters! shitters wan sui!

life is too short to think about that loss. buy what you like, what you can afford and enjoy it.
when its time to buy another, do the same.

if its going to revolve around value retention, buy a rolex and call it a day. but then again, with every scratch, ding etc, you're never going to get more than 80% of the value u paid.
unless you got those sports model at retail

or best, buy already keep at home, dont wear. wear a gshock and tell people, i have a rolex sitting at home. got emergency can sell. sibei liquid LOL

The difference between you and that cbk is that you don't talk big.

That cbk has been talking big for years and what has he got to show?

haha i got nothing, i never talk big. i just laugh at you.

i peasant, jobless, do nothing, waiting for govt to feed me

When people lose their jobs, which one they sell first: watch, car, or house?

none. don't be an idiot. people can find jobs again.

Just by this watch case alone, can tell you like to lose money liao. :s13:

Those IWC... Wonder how much you paid for them? LOL..

Lucky got that AP ROC.

Wonder if you have another two or three cases of worthless watches?

Hey where are your big hitters?

So far I see only one AP ROC. That's not a baller watch, easily affordable. You talk so big, you must have more, right? Come show us leh.

hahahahahaha. i told you liao. i is buy JLC stuff. i cannot afford lorlex. pai seh
i don't have big hitters. i peasant

my iwc? hahaha cheap because i know where to find lobang.

AP ROC, also cheap. because i got connection.

but with my box, i still ruffing at you.

Rolex price will come down. That's for sure.

The $6k someone pays for his Tudor today, may buy him a sports Rolex some time down the line. May be pre-owned with full set, but still a Rolex. Compared to a Tudor for the same money.

Yes, you are right. See Panerai. However there is a huge difference between Rolex and Panerai regarding brand value and management. BTW, you compare Panerai to Rolex is like comparing Kia to Toyota leh. Kia may be flying high now cos of hype and design, but that's all they have. Once they lose that, they will shut down. They do not have a strong heritage and fundamentally they are just a new car company with money and marketing. Toyota is like Rolex, huge, well managed, industry leader, strong heritage and corporate values.

how to come down with people like you?
demand > supply.
People like you snapping up rolex as if it was high yield bonds. come down lan.

the bubble will never burst as long rolex control the supply and AD play their games.
knn u is no study is it

this isn't the tulip bubble leh

Let's revisit this thread again in 2 to 3 years shall we. Let's see what $6k can buy us then. Maybe a Rolex sports ceramic pre-owned.

Tiongland already kena hoot half fug jialat by AMDK liao. And AMDK themselves also half fug economically. 2018 watch industry report was abysmal. 2019 predicted to be gloomy. Let's see what happens in 2020, 2021, 2022 ba.

Maybe you can save the world single handedly then, buy up all the watches, keep the prices up, so that the noobs who buy Tudor at $6k remain happy and satisfied.

LOLOL. 6k rolex ceramic. knn if that happen ah, i take u as god liao

Sure. Can intro me?

In life there are winners and losers lah.

Having been a loser before holding all these worthless watches from fugged up brands, I don't want to repeat my mistake.

You can go bring all the newbies here to horlan ba. At the same time, you can console them "dont sell, no lose!" "Watch collection is a hobby, not investment!"

You all can sit together staring at your fools gold equivalent of watches bought for passion and w@nk each other off and cum ba.

hahahaha then for you, you're not a watch collector or hobbyist.
you just buy to haolian, typical sinkie or asian mindset.
life is miserable enough, and you made it worst

Notice I only mentioned Nautilus for PP. Because it was one of the few PP that had pricing accessible to most people. $30k to $35k for 5711. Sometimes even below $30k for pre-owned. 5712, add $10k more. Want rose gold, add another $10k to the steel. You anyhow close eyes buy one piece last time pre-owned, now also chao chao double liao. Can add Aquanaut to the list also. I remember the time when it used to be regarded as one of the ugliest watches ever, nobody wanted, cheap like fug, now value at least double.

The other PPs... Forget it, even though some are nice, like their AC, PC and PC Chrono but I am not in that league... I dunno how to appreciate those.

30-35k for 5711? knn intro leh, i want to buy 2, one blue one white. u got lobang bo?
5712 i wanna buy for my papa.

knn, don't say last time, say now.

I also bought before. After selling off for a fraction of what I paid, told myself never again.

When the time comes for Tiongs to learn the hard way about JLC ownership, they will tell themselves, never again also.

Let gaoxing84 buy up all the Jlc ba

wah dont say i can buy all up. i not as satki.
but why need to sell? hard up for money or u sell to buy rolex?
might as well sell and keep the money inside bank sua. everyday press atm, see the value inside, ownself song.

Not everything is resale value, but do you want to come out of ownership of it looking like a fool? A fool and his money are soon parted, my friend.

even i am a fool, i am a happy one. and you? being rich but miserable. but whatever floats your boat man

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then maybe take it from me, an average man (some say boy) in the street, a student but with a secured job, somewhat financially responsible, wont die cock stand with a sudden recession.

But whether you buy 100 dollar daniel wellington or 100k PP, you shouldn't have to sell hand sell leg to keep yourself afloat. Other than that, just buy what you like. I spent 6k on my 5B first hand and i ***** love it. The longer i look at it, the more i feel like i in 冬季恋歌 and like the watch telling me "cum lurb me nong nong time"

It's definitely a substantial sum to me but i dont regret even if i make a loss. Because i dont bank on selling it to keep me alive and no one should. If you so huanlo about other ppl wasting their money, you would tell them if they are struggling so much with the decision then they prob shouldnt.

SOLID! that's 100% true.

for the guy who wanna splurge 6k on a tudor. think, can you afford that 6k and still be able to feed yourself. if yes buy. if not, dude, either save up or buy something else

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tudor roll!
been with me since 2015 Dec Boxing Day. gotta count my lucky stars that I don't need to sell tudor to feed myself. phew
not sure this one can sell how much
1k got ppl will buy?

XpUx4Oo.jpg

fatbastardx

Banned
Reaction score
In 2009,

5 pieces of IWC at $6k each = $30k

1 piece of PP 5711 blue dial at $30k each = $30k (that time only got blue dial for 5711 steel)

Assuming the owners hold the above watches until now, need money, want to sell.

In 2019,

5 pieces of 10 year old IWC at $3k each = $15k (assuming you sell yourself, if sell to dealer he will offer you $2k each nia)

1 piece of 10 year old 5711 blue dial at = $70k (very conservative estimate)

It is simple arithmetic. Instead of buying 5 small-time watches, save up to buy one big-time one. It will pay off down the road.

:s13:

Besides, you can only wear one watch out at any time unless you bring along your watch case with you on the road and show people..(siao Lang) So at any one time, people only see what you are wearing at the moment. They don't know you have another 4 pieces of IWC at home :s13:

In EDMW parlance, "go big, or go home"

Last edited:

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
^ Kum Lan hao.lian spotted

Who will buy all 6k iwc.
Unless fan. Sigh. ***** dumb sia this guy

micgoh

Reaction score
A bunch of adults.gave me so much hope.discussion here got dragon and phoenix.but I ask a simple request. Can anyone recommend me a local website other than rolexsg where there's active sales of luxury watches, it's ignored....

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A bunch of adults.gave me so much hope.discussion here got dragon and phoenix.but I ask a simple request. Can anyone recommend me a local website other than rolexsg where there's active sales of luxury watches, it's ignored....

You cannot GOOGLE?
Cannot to walk around far east or bugis bencoolen?
Or used carousell? Tsk.

Need spoon feed anot.

What era already. No need to dig classified la

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.