Thin and Light Laptop Recomendation

randylol123

Junior Member
Joined
May 27, 2018
Messages
51
Reaction score
1
Hi all looking for a new laptop for uni. I got a budget of max 1500 sgd, I'm looking for a laptop that's light and also has long battery life. Some laptops that I alr hav in mind are like the LG gram, Dell XPS 13 and the Huawei Matebook X Pro. Are there any more laptops that you guys reccomend??
 

tutonic

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
1,199
Reaction score
10
How light is considered light for you? Also, most of those are outside of your budget of 1500.
 

randylol123

Junior Member
Joined
May 27, 2018
Messages
51
Reaction score
1
Around 1 to 1.5 kg is ideal. Actually I can get the xps 13 9360 for around 1.2k and the matebook x pro i7 version for abit of 1.6k but I'm still on the fence about which to buy
 

NMSS_2

Banned
Joined
Jul 5, 2001
Messages
32,324
Reaction score
1
Around 1 to 1.5 kg is ideal. Actually I can get the xps 13 9360 for around 1.2k and the matebook x pro i7 version for abit of 1.6k but I'm still on the fence about which to buy

:eek: where did you get the price? i have just ordered from US, it cost about 2k SGD.
 

randylol123

Junior Member
Joined
May 27, 2018
Messages
51
Reaction score
1
Lel it was on sale on amazon for abit on Sunday I think was cheap but I thought too long and the offer expired ahhaha. Hopefully the price will drop more soon with the 2019 edition alr out
 

havealaughclown

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2019
Messages
961
Reaction score
4
Depends on your budget bro, I use MacBook Air and its good. Light and I can bring anywhere. You want to ty first? Go to store.
 

tutonic

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
1,199
Reaction score
10
Swift 3 is 1.45kg, and the i5 version is only 1.1k.

If you're in uni, check with your school. Usually they have slightly better deal, or similar deal but got extra on site warranty, and whatnot.
 

NMSS_2

Banned
Joined
Jul 5, 2001
Messages
32,324
Reaction score
1
Lel it was on sale on amazon for abit on Sunday I think was cheap but I thought too long and the offer expired ahhaha. Hopefully the price will drop more soon with the 2019 edition alr out

wtf. i ordered on 9th $1299 and the price dropped to $1139 on 10th 1800hr for about 6 hours. :(

160 * 1.4 = 224 sgd gone! :(
 

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Dec 15, 2012
Messages
36,431
Reaction score
3,250
For university, it maybe good to get a tablet with a digital stylus instead. This would allow you to jot your notes electronically via one note instead of printing.
 

NMSS_2

Banned
Joined
Jul 5, 2001
Messages
32,324
Reaction score
1
For university, it maybe good to get a tablet with a digital stylus instead. This would allow you to jot your notes electronically via one note instead of printing.

Can also use capacitive touch pen for writing on touch screen laptop. Though not as good as those laptop with digitizer. I still haven figure out on how to use capacitive pen to write on laptop touch pad.
 

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Dec 15, 2012
Messages
36,431
Reaction score
3,250
They do work.. not for long lectures I feel. Some touch screens perform badly with capacitive styluses as well.

Have some Adonit precision styluses. They do work relatively well but not really great - 4 precision disks tips costs $16 .... :s13:

Can also use capacitive touch pen for writing on touch screen laptop. Though not as good as those laptop with digitizer. I still haven figure out on how to use capacitive pen to write on laptop touch pad.
 

mdsummer

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2002
Messages
848
Reaction score
42
Hi all looking for a new laptop for uni. I got a budget of max 1500 sgd, I'm looking for a laptop that's light and also has long battery life. Some laptops that I alr hav in mind are like the LG gram, Dell XPS 13 and the Huawei Matebook X Pro. Are there any more laptops that you guys reccomend??

I might have been lucky, the ux433fa at it show has low 256gb storage but at 1368$. I got a good unit, its incredibly light, wonderful typing and speedy unit and can last a work day. It's 14" thin borders and I was pretty amazed comparing it with an older acer swift 3 laptop.
 

randylol123

Junior Member
Joined
May 27, 2018
Messages
51
Reaction score
1
For university, it maybe good to get a tablet with a digital stylus instead. This would allow you to jot your notes electronically via one note instead of printing.
Lol I abit old fashion I rather write down my notes act I find it easier for me to understand and study ahhaha. I was actually looking at the
Surface go as an option but the peripherals abit pricey ah
 

randylol123

Junior Member
Joined
May 27, 2018
Messages
51
Reaction score
1
wtf. i ordered on 9th $1299 and the price dropped to $1139 on 10th 1800hr for about 6 hours. :(

160 * 1.4 = 224 sgd gone! :(
Lol shud have waited abit longer. I ORD in May and start sch prolly Aug so I still have time to wait, hopefully the price drop abit more coz it's a laptop that I had my eye on for like a super long time
 

NMSS_2

Banned
Joined
Jul 5, 2001
Messages
32,324
Reaction score
1
Lol shud have waited abit longer. I ORD in May and start sch prolly Aug so I still have time to wait, hopefully the price drop abit more coz it's a laptop that I had my eye on for like a super long time

damn sianz. i got keepa for amazon but didnt do price track on the item. IT stuff normally will continuously improve. No point holding back unless black friday or major discount.

I am using the laptop now. Quite good. Heat can be a problem unless downclock (using throttlestop).
 

NMSS_2

Banned
Joined
Jul 5, 2001
Messages
32,324
Reaction score
1
btw the rumour has it that the new matebook pro will release during apr-may in china, then july in other countries. Similar to the current matebook pro release schedule last year.

But that is of course speculation.
 

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Dec 15, 2012
Messages
36,431
Reaction score
3,250
Not value for money I would say :s13:
Am a surface user myself.
Have an ipad with Apple pencil for e documentation and note taking.

Lol I abit old fashion I rather write down my notes act I find it easier for me to understand and study ahhaha. I was actually looking at the
Surface go as an option but the peripherals abit pricey ah
 

shunsuu

Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2008
Messages
473
Reaction score
13
well, you could always get the i5, 8gb, 256gb surface pro 6. With student discount it's 1.6k? Add another 100-140 for pen
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top