ThinkPad T batteries

icelava

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,533
Reaction score
0
Two months ago I bought my very first ThinkPad (T480) and at that time opted for the largest battery (model 61++) 72Wh available. This battery feels great and lasts pretty long with a full tank.

However I am now considering scenarios where I might forgo bringing the charger along all together, but likely need additional battery. After some initial difficulty with Lenovo site search, I managed to re-identify the compatible battery models (i.e. 61, 61+, 61++ which I already have)

Was wondering though, instead of purchasing direct from Lenovo and waiting a couple of weeks, are there some preferred brick/mortar shops that offer a wide selection of ThinkPad batteries? I've gone more than five years operating other laptop models with no external battery design.
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Unicell #02-40

Call them to check availability first.
 

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
7,394
Reaction score
1,168
Will it be more convenient to get a laptop power bank instead, considering the practicality and usage wise?
 

icelava

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,533
Reaction score
0
Will it be more convenient to get a laptop power bank instead, considering the practicality and usage wise?
Well I did have such a device before, when I was operating the light Acer Aspire 1820PTZ. It had a wide variety of connector pins and voltage/current settings, which was a necessary complexity back then when USB-C was not a thing. It didn't last long though. Must have been due to my ignorance of Lithium-ion chemistry at that time; it bloated pretty bad and ultimately had a very low charge capacity.

I'm sure there're newer models designed for contemporary laptops but I suspect it will cost more than a regular battery. Since I'm no longer operating a laptop with only a single sealed internal battery (ok, my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 is still serviceable but it's trash for heavy utility purposes), I'm no longer keen on the idea of using a battery to charge another battery when it can be swapped.
 

icelava

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,533
Reaction score
0
Walked into Unicell today. They only had the 61 model (24Whr). Would've preferred the bigger 61+ model, but this one's on discount so I just picked it up first.
 

obichacha

Master Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
3,047
Reaction score
538
Why not order from Lenovo service centre?

Walked into Unicell today. They only had the 61 model (24Whr). Would've preferred the bigger 61+ model, but this one's on discount so I just picked it up first.
 

obichacha

Master Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
3,047
Reaction score
538
Yes they have walk in, 140 paya Labar Rd.
Just beside the mrt MacPherson.
You can live chat for the price then get the reference much easier than you walk in to order.

Oh? They have walk-in retail at the service centre itself?
 

icelava

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,533
Reaction score
0

obichacha

Master Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
3,047
Reaction score
538
If you may facted with 2nd battery doesn’t charged?
Please go to device configuration and uninstall the battery divers and shut down ur pc , but make sure you need to plug in charger at same time. Then flip over and remove the battery out.
After than plug in the USB charger and power on without any battery.
The final was shut down again then plug in the 2 battery, and power on again. Both battery will be automatically install the driver back again.
Then monitor the charging indicator should be back to normal.
After the 1st battery full then going into 2nd battery to keep it charged.

Well I was planning to visit them in person, not to buy batteries, but to talk to some (hopefully) knowledgeable engineer/technician about the T480's counter-intuitive battery consumption pattern.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...r-T/Battery-consumption-patterns/td-p/4473130
 

icelava

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,533
Reaction score
0
If you may facted with 2nd battery doesn’t charged?
The batteries do charge. It's just the stubborn sequence the laptop "insists" on using that is mind boggling.

If I plug in the 61++ (72WHr) battery the laptop will use that first instead of internal battery 1. If I plug in the new 61 (24WHr) battery it will suck up internal battery 1 instead before touching the external.

The similar pattern I observed? Laptop wants to waste off the battery with the higher cycle count. At least, what is seen superficially. I haven't found any formal documentation on how exactly Lenovo decides which battery to use.

Anyway, this thread is about battery retail purchase options, so I don't want to delve too deep into the actual laptop's mechanics.
 
Last edited:

icelava

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,533
Reaction score
0
Oh? They have walk-in retail at the service centre itself?
So, technically, the service centre does sell, but they don't have a warehouse here to hold stock. It will take two-four weeks to deliver. Might as well order online from web site.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top